INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Acquire Images suggestions  (Read 1693 times)

Cmagic

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Enjoying life with a little music....
Acquire Images suggestions
« on: July 17, 2003, 10:30:23 pm »

Hi,

Here are two suggestions for the Image Acquistion feature.

When acquiring Images from a digital camera  would it be possible to add the possibility for Output file location and name ruling in the exact same fashion as for ripping music ?

Base Path, Directory Rule and Filename Rule dialogs could be located in the Acquire Images box with the same layout as the path and rules for music in 'Options/File Naming & Location'.

Since I'm at image acquisition, it would be nice to allow for selection of files before download from a flash card. I have a 512Mb CCF that can hold more than 600 pics. sometimes I make a few test shots and I only want to download those. With MC you always download the entire content which can be rather long !

My guess is that with these two additions :

1 - Images directory & File location and ruling
2 - Selection of files 2B downloaded

MC Image acquisition feature will be way ahead APA's or PSPA's. (Not talking about Imatch that can do almost anything thanks to its internal scripting engine)

What do folks think ?

have a nice day,

Christian
Until the color of a man's skin is of no more significance
than the color of his eyes.
Bob Marley (War)

nila

Re: Acquire Images suggestions
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2003, 11:54:19 pm »

Both sound great to me. Haven't been on holliday in ages so haven't taken many pictures but when I do and start playing with this feature, I'd love both of those requests. :)

NoCodeUK

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2003, 12:13:37 am »

Me too.  Up until now I have always used Explorer for importing my pics (one of XPs sweet features) but could use MC if it was as powerful and simple as explorer is.

Adam
"It's called No Code because it's full of code. It's misinformation." - Eddie Vedder

nila

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2003, 03:23:11 am »

yeah, I use explorer too, I'd just like to use MC so I can rename from properties (mainly date)

Cmagic

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2003, 04:28:18 am »

There's a cool download+rename+auto-rotate utility that I use for now. It is simply called downloader http://www.breezesys.com/Downloader/index.html.
Originaly designed for Canon cameras it works for any type of DCF compliant camera through a Fcard reader.
If this type of download+rename feature could be embedded inside MC, that would be great.

C.
Bob Marley (War)

nila

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2003, 07:50:18 am »

CMagic - you seem like quite the photo expert :)

Cmagic

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2003, 08:00:45 am »

Nila,

No, not an expert just a curious guy who spend way to much time with digicams, digital music, computers and MC ! :)
Bob Marley (War)

sraymond

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2003, 09:46:37 am »

Cmagic,

I'd suggest that one of the first things they do is add full WIA functionality to MC.  Currently, I can only use the Microsoft WIA drivers to access my Kodak DX4330.  This isn't a problem in itself, but JRiver hasn't added a WIA event to the OS.  This means there is no way to automatically acquire images from outside MC.  This greatly reduces the WHF (Wife Happiness Factor)!

Other suggestions I'd add to yours (which all seem quite useful):

- Show a real progress bar for downloading.  With the WIA drivers, I get a per picture progress, but no idea where I'm at on the whole download (either a progress bar, or better yet, a progress bar and a X of XX status).
- Alllow for upload to camera (unless there's already a way to do this...  am I missing something?)

MC Image acquisition feature will be way ahead APA's

That's quite the bold statement!  WIthout WIA support, I don't think this will ever be a true statement.  But it is quite amazing how far MC has come with respect to photo management in just a short period (two or three months!)

Scott-

sraymond

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2003, 09:50:06 am »

Hey...  I just noticed that MediaCenter has been added to the list of WIA events!

Unfortunately, I get a "Warning:  Please select file(s) to play." and the import doesn't start.

But, what a pleasant surprise!  Did I miss this on the new features?

Scott-

Cmagic

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2003, 09:53:26 am »

You're right Scott,

There is a limited WIA support in MC but not as complete as the one available from other tools such a APA.
A true WIA support would allow an easy selection of the images to be downloaded. It is also a requirement for Canon camera as well as some other brands.

Chris.
Bob Marley (War)
Pages: [1]   Go Up