INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: TV Tuner custom resolutions  (Read 4882 times)

kbzona

• Recent member
TV Tuner custom resolutions
« on: March 03, 2017, 09:56:52 am »

Hello, I'm having image quality problems with my TV tuner setup and JRiver... 

I have a Pinnacle PCTV 110i Analog Tv tuner (WDM) and with POTPLAYER (my main tv app) it allows me to get the best picture quality but in JRiver it is very pixelated and low quality.

I think it is because PotPlayer allows me to select the perfect resolution for my tv tuner which is  720x480...  do not get me wrong, i've tried changing display options in Video settings and even in MadVR to select 720x480 for tv tuner but nothing happens...

CountryBumkin

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: TV Tuner custom resolutions
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2017, 12:49:56 pm »

That Pinnacle is very old. Looks like last driver update was for Windows XP. Plus its Analog.
I'm not sure what country you're from (Asia) - do you still have analog TV where you're at?

I know my reply doesn't address your problem specifically - but I would advise you to ditch the Pinnacle tuner and get something newer.

If you're running madVR (JRiver RO+HQ) you must have a fairly new computer. What kind of display are using (Computer or TV)? What is the display's resolution?

kbzona

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2017, 01:33:11 pm »

Yeah, it is an old PCI card and i should probably upgrade but since it was working fine in Potplayer and gives me a decent image i don't want to buy a new tv stick or card (yet), and my TV cable provider only maintains analog for compatiblity issues

Im using a PC monitor, but again, it works perfectly in Poplayer and i think its because you can select the tv tuner resolution (option which is absent in JRiver, and yes i know that theres options to select and config display in JRiver but it is not related to the TV Tuner part)...

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2017, 10:27:25 am »

We are not spending much time working on analog tuners anymore.

You can try the following:

TV Options > General > Manage Devices.  Select the device from the list, and click Configure.  On the resulting dialog window, under Advanced, try double-clicking some of the items, and make changes in their property pages.  Sorry for not being specific since I do not have that particular device at hand.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

kbzona

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2017, 12:57:11 pm »

Unfortunately theres no option to change the tv resolution under Device config...

I think that JRiver automatically sets default to the maximum resolution for the TV Tuner and the only setting that allows my tuner to get the best image is to set it to 720x480, but instead JRIver sets it to a higher resolution thus rendering a bad quality image...

I just did a test with Potplayer, where i select a higher resolution, in this case i selected 960x540 and it automatically screws the image quality, but then went back to 720x480 and i get the best image in PotPlayer.

I think that my tuner doesnt want resolutions to be handled automatically  ?

kbzona

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2017, 02:22:35 pm »

Well, today i bought a new tv dongle  (Kworld UB445-U2), which from what i've read is fully compatible with JRiver...

It turns out that it won't work correctly using madVR... So i switched to Red October Standard (which i think is ffdshow filters) and got it working with the highest quality possible BUT, its totally interlaced and there's no option for deinterlacing anywhere...

Tried using custom ffdshow and it only works when playing videos but not TV..

Please help guys, I have just bought this TV dongle because the other one was too old to work ok with recent builds of JRiver

thank in advance

CountryBumkin

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2017, 10:21:45 am »

I have the same "KWorld UB445-U2" TV dongle on my laptop. It works fine with Win10 and MC22.

Once you record a TV show the resulting file should play back in RO-STD or RO+HQ (madVR) regardless. If your computer/video card is weak, there are settings in madVR that would still play the file as good as RO-STD.

So something else is wrong.
To help figure this out - let me ask a couple of questions:
1) What format to do you record in (ts or jtv)?
2) what type of TV are you recording (OTA, Cable, etc.)
3) what Country are you in (I assume USA since your using the same ATSC tuner)?

kbzona

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2017, 11:04:50 am »

I'm not recording, and i'm using Analog TV live ntsc feature of the card... Digital tuner is working just fine

btw, i have a AMD Radeon 5670 which is quite enough for MadVR i think

The thins is, that for some reason custom ffdshow filter is not working although i can select it in custom video settings

CountryBumkin

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2017, 11:16:58 am »

I see now.

Sorry, I can't help then. I don't have anyway to test for you.

If you record one of the shows your having trouble viewing, would it play back okay?  Meaning is the problem only with "live viewing" or is it with the source?

If it gives you the same problems as watching it live, maybe you could provide a short "recording" file for us to test with (i.e. copy to cloud and provide a link to file)

kbzona

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2017, 12:17:46 pm »

Yes, in this case the problem is live tv only, recordings are fine but tv is interlaced.

I was browsing the forums and a previous version of MC had an option under television settings to force custom ffdshow filters, but isnt present in MC22, but in MC22 there's rules but they are not working for the ffdshow post processing

CountryBumkin

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2017, 01:19:05 pm »

in madVR there is a setting to force deinterlacing ("if in doubt force deinterlacing" and "force film content"). Have you tried changing that setting? See the section here http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=80253.0 on deinterlacing. This post is a little old now regarding some of madVR settings but that section on deinterlacing is still correct.

kbzona

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2017, 04:43:03 pm »

Yeah, MadVR does indeed deinterlace the picture but it is slow and looks bad compared to VMR9 for Live TV

I have another TV tuner (PCI) that doesnt wants MadVR either... I think MadVR is not designed to play low quality analog stuff anyway, thats why i need custom ffdshow filter to work properly.

Why JRiver took away the option in the Television settings to force custom ffdshow filter :(

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2017, 02:47:55 pm »

With interlacing problem, you can try the following (not sure whether it will work at all):

1. Turn off "Start analog devices in time-shifting mode" in TV Options.
2. Open RegEdit and edit this key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JRiver\Media Center 22\TV Settings\<key name correspond to your analog tuner device>

You may have to do some guess work to find out which key name is <key name correspond to your analog tuner device>, it probably starts with "__?_usb#", and is quite long.

3. Under that key, find "Use Deinterlace Filter".  If it does not exist, create one (DWORD value).  Set its value to 1.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

kbzona

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2017, 03:26:20 pm »

Ok, I reinstalled ffdshow filters and checked the option in the installer to allow use of ffdshow in raw video and now it is working in custom filters!!!

finally its all ok now, thank you for your support!! :D
Pages: [1]   Go Up