INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ripping: JRiver Tools > Rip Disc... vs. dBpoweramp CD Ripper  (Read 2872 times)

aviateur

• World Citizen
Ripping: JRiver Tools > Rip Disc... vs. dBpoweramp CD Ripper
« on: March 05, 2017, 09:08:46 am »

Has anyone compared the efficacy of these two approaches to each other? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Lawrence
Two Cows Walk Into a Bar ...

aviateur

• World Citizen
Re: Ripping: JRiver Tools > Rip Disc... vs. dBpoweramp CD Ripper
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2017, 09:48:03 pm »

Bump ...

What does MC ripping base its accuracy on?

Spike1000

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2017, 11:29:30 pm »

I use dBPoweramp as it's a dedicated ripping tool that's very flexible and just works. I can rip multiple CDs at the same time (I have 3 DVD and one blu-ray drive in a PC I use for ripping), it accesses multiple metadata databases and it's quick and easy to pick the 'best' source of data for a particular rip. It's quick and reliable.

It may not be the absolute fastest, but it's consistent and straightforward.

Some people say MC is better at very badly scratched CDs, but I don't have any of those so that's not a concern to me and I could always use MC in that case.

I bought the suite of tools so it helped me fix low res cover art of existing rips largely automatically.

It has the 'accurip' database to help show that your rip is consistent with results from other people.

It's not expensive and has easily paid for itself in my time saved.

I did try MC (version 20 I think), but found it not as efficient or as reliable at the time. From memory it used to hang and I'd have to restart it every other CD or so.

Spike

aviateur

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2017, 10:04:03 am »

Spike:

I totally agree with your comments. Like you, I use dBpoweramp exclusively. I have been using it longer than MC so I wasn't willing to give up a proven method. When I initially ripped approximately 5,000 audio CDs, like you, I used multiple drives. With a 'heads down' approach, the process took approximately eight (8) weeks. I only experienced 2 discs which I was unable to rip due to scratched surfaces. The lesson there was never buy any used CD that is rated below 'Very Good'.

For me, the number 1 feature is the AccurateRip database, which provides the extra level of "peace of mind" accuracy. Along with MC, because I truly do believe it does a great job at managing and presenting my audio collection, dBpoweramp was an invaluable purchase. Thanks for the 'rip badly scratched CDs with MC' tip. The next time I come across a CD that requires dBpoweramp to re-rip 8,000+ frames, I'll stop the process and try MC for comparison.

Cheers,
Lawrence
Pages: [1]   Go Up