INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problem playing back SACD ISO  (Read 6678 times)

JJJ

• Junior Woodchuck
Problem playing back SACD ISO
« on: March 09, 2017, 01:16:16 pm »

I've just ripped another bunch of 40 or so of my SACDs. I'm encountering a problem with many of the multichannel ones. I get an error that playback was not possible with WASAPI 5 channel 96kHz 64 bit.  My DAC is a Theta Casablanca IV capable of multichannel to 24 bit 192kHz. With Dirac Live engaged the CB runs at 96kHz sample rate and so I have JRiver output 96kHz. I'm not sure why on some SACD ISOs JRiver is trying to play 64bit while on others it is ok.  Also, changing the bit depth in JRiver from auto to 24 bit doesn't fix the problem. 

I'm playing an SACD ISO which works now.  JRiver is telling me under Audio Path that the source is 352.8kHz 64 bit 6 channels.  It is being resampled to 96kHz as directed. The output is listed as 6-ch using WASAPI 96kHz 24 bit (padded) (not using enough bits to output the input directly).  It plays although too often I get the vague "something went wrong with playback error".

I can't find a pattern as to why some ISOs work and a lot of others don't. Ideas?

JJJ

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Problem playing back SACD ISO
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2017, 01:28:25 pm »

Actually it seems to be the case that those which don't play are 5 channel while those that do are 6 - at least according to the error in JRiver. The Casablanca can obviously handle 5 channels.

Fitzcaraldo215

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2017, 01:47:54 pm »

Not clear on the problem.  What is the interconnection to the Theta, HDMI?  Do some ISOs consistently work/not work?

I do not play ISOs, but I do play DSFs in Mch.  I have no problems mostly, but I do get the occasional "something went wrong with playback" error.  A retry usually fixes it.

This may be unrelated, but you should be sure the Channels parameter in DSP Studio is set to 5.1, not Source Number of Channels.  Channel assignments get messed up between 5.0 and 5.1 discs otherwise.  But, that should just mess up the sound, not give an error message.  The 6 channel discs are 5.1, of course.

Spike1000

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2017, 01:54:44 pm »

You may need to set up a new zone that detects 5.0 tracks and applies the appropriate DSP studio settings to get them to work on your system.

Spike

JJJ

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2017, 02:01:02 pm »

Connection is HDMI, yes.

6 channel ISOs work fine.  No 5 channel ISOs work.  I think this is the issue.

The Casablanca IV can handle up to 8 channel audio. (The IVa can handle 12.)  It has no problems receiving and playing 5 channel LPCM from an Oppo player.  The glitch is with JRiver.

DSP Studio is set "Source Number of Channels".  If there are 5 on the disk I want JRiver to send 5.  If there 6, I want it to send 6. Same with 2, 3, 4, 7 and 8 (although the latter couple are unlikely to be encountered).

I don't want it to apply and settings other than sample rate down to 96kHz - the same with all sources.  I use two zones - one to direct 2 channel output via a modified ESI Juli@ and another to detect >2 channels and direct that via HDMI. I shouldn't need a third.

Spike1000

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2017, 02:07:45 pm »

Do 5.0 channel (say) FLAC or DSF files play OK?

Spike

kr4

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2017, 03:01:00 pm »

Connection is HDMI, yes.

The Casablanca IV can handle up to 8 channel audio. (The IVa can handle 12.)  It has no problems receiving and playing 5 channel LPCM from an Oppo player.  The glitch is with JRiver.

DSP Studio is set "Source Number of Channels". 
Try changing this to 5.1 as already suggested.
Kal Rubinson
"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

Fitzcaraldo215

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2017, 03:07:45 pm »

Connection is HDMI, yes.

DSP Studio is set "Source Number of Channels".  If there are 5 on the disk I want JRiver to send 5.  If there 6, I want it to send 6. Same with 2, 3, 4, 7 and 8 (although the latter couple are unlikely to be encountered).

I don't want it to apply and settings other than sample rate down to 96kHz - the same with all sources.  I use two zones - one to direct 2 channel output via a modified ESI Juli@ and another to detect >2 channels and direct that via HDMI. I shouldn't need a third.

As I said, you do not want to use Source Number of Channels.  There have been a number of posts on this issue, one recently. The solution has been simple for me on my 7.1 system:

I have set up two JR zones, identical except one has Output Channels set at 5.1(not 6), the other to 7.1.  I use Zoneswitch to switch between them using the Channels tag value > 6 based on the input for that source track.  Obviously, if you only have a 5.1 system, then you need only one zone set for 5.1. 

The reason is 5.1 is not equal to 6 in the output channels parameter in JRiver, and 5.1 channel SACDs have a Channels tag value of 6, not 5.1.

I have done the above both with HDMI into a prepro and USB into a DAC with good results.  But, unlike you, I do not recall it rendering some discs unplayable before I applied the above.  It just messed up the output channel assignments.

I know, I know.  Source Number of Channels ought to work, except it doesn't.

JJJ

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2017, 04:06:37 pm »

Do 5.0 channel (say) FLAC or DSF files play OK?

Spike

I need to check.  I will do a conversion of one of the ones which does not play as an ISO and report back.

JJJ

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2017, 04:08:26 pm »

Try changing this to 5.1 as already suggested.

And what would be the source of the .1 channel?   JRiver just blanks it?

JJJ

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2017, 04:17:14 pm »

As I said, you do not want to use Source Number of Channels.  There have been a number of posts on this issue, one recently. The solution has been simple for me on my 7.1 system:

I have set up two JR zones, identical except one has Output Channels set at 5.1(not 6), the other to 7.1.  I use Zoneswitch to switch between them using the Channels tag value > 6 based on the input for that source track.  Obviously, if you only have a 5.1 system, then you need only one zone set for 5.1. 

The reason is 5.1 is not equal to 6 in the output channels parameter in JRiver, and 5.1 channel SACDs have a Channels tag value of 6, not 5.1.

I have done the above both with HDMI into a prepro and USB into a DAC with good results.  But, unlike you, I do not recall it rendering some discs unplayable before I applied the above.  It just messed up the output channel assignments.

I know, I know.  Source Number of Channels ought to work, except it doesn't.

My system is currently just 5.1, but hopefully soon moving to 11.1.  I am puzzled still as to how, when a source has 3-5 channels (no .1 dedicated bass) the missing channels are padded and whether the source channels are directed properly.  This all seems like a very obvious bug to me. JRiver can't handle "Source Number of Channels" for source channels >2.

I will try changing my zoneswitch setup to also change the channel output setting.

Is the JRiver team working on fixing this bug?

kr4

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2017, 06:29:54 pm »

And what would be the source of the .1 channel?   JRiver just blanks it?
If there is no .1 channel, it is empty anyway.
Kal Rubinson
"Music in the Round"

Fitzcaraldo215

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2017, 07:01:56 pm »

I should not speak for JR, but this is now ancient history.  Many users have relied over the years on "how it works" vs. "how it should ideally work."  JR openly and with user input in this forum deliberated over the exact coding of this year's ago, and we now have the result hatched by open consensus at that time.  They tried based on what they knew then.  Those old threads are still available for review if you search for them.

In your case, just plug in 5.1 into channels in DSP studio's Channels field and likely you will be fine, cross my fingers.

Actually, I think JRiver handles it correctly from a purely technical standpoint. SACD metadadata does not.  The SACD says channels = 6 in its integer value field for the Channels tag, meaning 6.0, when actually the SACD has 5.1 channels.  Hence, confusion, since 5.1 also requires 6 discrete channels.

So, is JR wrong if via Source Number of Channels YOU have told it you have a 6.0 system?  Technically, no.  But, I have never seen a 6.0 system and likely never will. I think we all understand Channels = 6 to really mean 5.1. Unfortunately, that is not how it works.  JRiver says 6 = 6.0.

On the other hand, I will not get into the craziness of SACD producers for using 5.1, especially when designated in metadata as 6 channels.  There is no earthly reason I am aware of for the .1 channel to even exist on any Mch source media, even BD video in this day and age.  Yet, it does continue to exist and cause nothing but confusion. 

Note, that I am in no way criticizing bass management and subwoofers on the output configuration side.  We just do not need to have an extra channel wasted in so many media formats on .1, when contemporary bass management and crossovers are perfectly capable of deriving that from the other channels.  But, it is what it is.

BTW, there is also a mess in channel mapping if you just plug in 7.1 as the DSP Studio Channels value when playing a 5.0 or 5.1 source, such as an SACD.  It does not get channel mapping right.  That is why I use two zones and Zoneswitch, which works perfectly fine for me on my 7.1 system.  5.1 plays fine, as does 7.1.

Also, I absolutely love the sound of classical music from Mch SACD from my rather large, like my waistline, beautifully tagged SACD rips in my JRiver library.

Fitzcaraldo215

• World Citizen
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2017, 07:10:54 pm »

If there is no .1 channel, it is empty anyway.

Kal - I suspect you are right that the .1 or 6th channel on SACDs is null, meaning empty.  It just has not been a burning issue for me to prove it.

We also know that 3.0 recordings by Mercury/RCA show up as 5 channel, with the surround channels being nulled.  Also, Quad-era remasters with 4 channels show up as 5 channel SACDs with the center channel nulled.

madbrain

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2017, 08:42:36 pm »

This might be a problem specific to your DAC.

In my home office, I have an ECHO Audiofire 12 Firewire DAC. This is a 12-channel DAC.
The only channel configuration it supports is stereo or multi-channel. In multi-channel mode, it presents one Windows audio device with 8 outputs, and a second one with 4 outputs.

I have a 4.1 audio system in this room. Front channels, rear channels, and subwoofer.

I have many SACD ISOs that are 5.0 . I am listening to one right now.

I am using WASAPI right now on the first device (Audiofire 12, channels 01-08).
ASIO is an option as well but I'm not using it at the time.

I don't get any errors if I use the option "Source number of channels" with a 5.0 SACD ISO.
However, this is not suitable for my system due to missing speakers (no center).

The options I have set in DSP studio are actually :

Channels : 5.1 channels
Mixing : Clone side channels to rear speakers
For stereo sources, only mix to 2.1 : checked
Move center to front L/R : checked (since I don't have a center speaker)

Sample rate output : all sampling rates are set to 96 kHz. The DAC supports 192 kHz, but only the Mac drivers unfortunately - Windows drivers are 96 kHz max.

With these settings, tools/audio calibration for stereo, 5.1 and 7.1 sources work as intended.
Ie. center channel always goes to left or right for 5.1/7.1 .
And surround/rear channels for 5.1/7.1 always play on the single pair of surround speakers.

Not sure if this helps you or not.

I don't have any problem playing SACD ISO with 6 channels or 2 channels either. I have about 100 SACD ISOs.

JJJ

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2017, 02:44:22 pm »

Thanks guys.  I haven't had much time with this but just now I tried switching DSP studio to 5.1 and I no longer get the error. I was thinking that I would need zone switch to change this setting as I switch between multichannel and stereo content.  It would seem, however, that if I have stereo content and DSP studio set to 5.1 then the other channels would be just nulled.  Just the same as 5 channel SACD ISO's .1 channel isn't there and that is nulled (or 3 channel sources). Correct?

Fitzcaraldo215

• World Citizen
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2017, 03:19:38 pm »

I think that is handled if you check the box For Stereo Sources, Only Mix to 2.1, if JRSS mixing is turned on.

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Output_Format

At least, that works for me: 2.0 plays as 2.1 with Channels set to 5.1, which also works fine as 5.1 with 5.0 or 5.1 SACDs, BDs and downloads.  7.1 works fine with 7.1 BDs via the Zoneswitch to a zone with Channels = 7.1.

JJJ

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2017, 03:38:28 pm »

For stereo I don't want JRiver outputting 2.1.  Just 2.0.  I manage my base crossover etc in the Casablanca. But presumably if there is no 0.1 content on the source this will just be blank/nulled.

I guess what I don't understand is why you don't just set yours to 7.1 and leave it there. If 5 channel audio 2 channels and the dedicated LFE channel will be blank. If stereo source then 5 channels and the LFE are blank.

madbrain

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2017, 04:34:16 am »

On the other hand, I will not get into the craziness of SACD producers for using 5.1, especially when designated in metadata as 6 channels.  There is no earthly reason I am aware of for the .1 channel to even exist on any Mch source media, even BD video in this day and age.  Yet, it does continue to exist and cause nothing but confusion. 

I think the rationale for the existence of the .1 channel on SACD is as follows :
- physical SACD disc players are often connected to preamps/receivers via 6-channel analog output
- most receivers/preamps don't do any bass management on the 6-channel analog input
Since not everyone has a subwoofer, or wants to use one, this means the bass management has to be done in the SACD player itself. This is the way it works in my Sony SCD-CE775. I have to tell it my actual speaker configuration in there. And then it decides how to mix, and which of the 6 cables of the analog output will get a signal.

If you are streaming digitally however, then you don't need to do bass management in the player. But most SACD players don't stream DSD digitally. My SCD-CE775 SACD changer was audio only and didn't have an HDMI interface. I bought it in 2001, and it actually predates the existence of the HDMI interface which was introduced in 2002.

I think at the time, there were some short lived attempts to stream DSD over Firewire. Unfortunately, even in 2017, there is no proper standard solution for bitstreaming DSD to preamps.
Many AVRs support DSD over HDMI - my Yamaha RX-A1000 does.
But most SACD players won't send it over. No GPU I know can send bitstream it either.

Even with bitstreaming, it would seem to me that there would still need to be some indication in the bit stream of which channels are which, ie. whether the 6th channel is an LFE channel or not. I would assume that's in the HDMI specs for bit streaming DSD somewhere.

The SACD ISO specs would dictate how the designation for the 6th channel is encoded, whether it's designated as an LFE channel or not. I'm not aware of 6-channel SACD discs that are not actually 5.1 .

I don't have any way to bitstream DSD digitally to my AVR, and I don't have a USB DAC that takes DSD.
I do have an Asio interface with plenty of channels. Actually, a pair of them. Audiofire 12 + Audiofire 8a daisy channed. It presents itself has a 28-in / 28-out ASIO interface. By giving the right channel offset , I am able to use ASIO to play DSD in Media Center on the interface I want. There is no way to assign specific ASIO channels to specific speakers, however.
The only thing that selects the order is designated the numbers of channels to not just the proper number for your system, but the proper order ...
In practice, on my ECHO, no particular output jack is assigned to left, right, center, surround, etc. It's not a home theater DAC - it's for professional audio recording. But works nicely as DAC. I had to figure out which order the channels are packed and plug the right jacks in .  I think the channel packing order is even different between ASIO and WASAPI.
In WASAPI, I have a bunch of different devices - a couple of 7.1 analog devices, 2 pairs of stereo devices, and a few more for the SPDIF plugs. Ie. it's not a single 28 channel WASAPI device at all.

Basically, for consumer equipment like a receiver or player, the jacks are clearly assigned to certain speakers, and the content is clearly labeled on disc/files for certain channels. When it comes to audio interfaces, it's not as clearly defined, especially so in the case of ASIO. What would really be needed is some kind of channel map. The player software itself isn't the most logical place for it to be. Yet I find myself wishing for that.

I have built in speakers in almost every room of my house. I think about 16 pairs of them between the two floors. The speaker plugs are concentrated in 2 locations - one on each floor. I have a bunch of multi-channel amps near them, daisy chained, so I get to play stereo content on either floor. Usability is limited though - I can't turn music on/off in each room. There is only one volume control per receiver, and it affects 6 channels at once. I can't adjust volume for each room either. And I can only play 2 sources - one per floor. Some of the speakers are outdoors as well. Those are powered by the last amp in each amp chain, so I just power off those amps when I don't want to play outdoors.

It's really not very usable overall, and I wish I had something better. I think the combination of a multi-channel DAC (like the ECHO) and those receivers would work well, if I could adjust volume digitally in JRiver. But I would still need to have some kind of channel router/mixer. Ideally I would want for example to partition the 28 channels in 4-6 separate zones. Some zones might be stereo, and others not. But all playback would be from a single ASIO audio device. I don't think JRiver MC can do this today unfortunately. But perhaps I'm missing something with the zoning feature. I see choices for outputting up to 32 channels, so perhaps I'm really missing something - not sure how the routing works in that case.

kr4

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2017, 07:47:39 am »

The SACD ISO specs would dictate how the designation for the 6th channel is encoded, whether it's designated as an LFE channel or not. I'm not aware of 6-channel SACD discs that are not actually 5.1
1.  The LFE is not the 6th channel in serial order, it is the 4th:  LF/RF/C/LFE/LS/RS.
2.  There are several 6-channel SACDs that use the LFE (and/or the C) for height information.
Kal Rubinson
"Music in the Round"

madbrain

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2017, 08:27:53 am »

1.  The LFE is not the 6th channel in serial order, it is the 4th:  LF/RF/C/LFE/LS/RS.

Do you mean the 6th channel as encoded on the disc ? Or the order in the data packets mixed in by JRiver before passing it to the DAC ? Or some other order ?

2.  There are several 6-channel SACDs that use the LFE (and/or the C) for height information.

Ah yes, I forgot about that. But there is no standard for identifications of those other channels on the disc, unfortunately. So it is quite difficult to play back as intended, unless you make manual adjustments. With a physical player and a 6-channel analog out, this would likely mean some rewiring somewhere having to be done for those discs - really not very convenient. In my home theater, I do have in-wall speakers behind my screen that could be used as height channel for this case. Still would need to get the signal to those speakers somehow, and turn off the signal going to the 4 subwoofers (or turn off power to them). In theory software should be able to do it better assuming there are enough outputs and proper routing available .. I certainly have enough amps to drive everything in that HT room - 7 full speakers plus 4 subs, plus the 2 in wall for height or presence . Getting the signal to the right place is an issue, though.

Fitzcaraldo215

• World Citizen
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2017, 12:34:09 pm »

I guess what I don't understand is why you don't just set yours to 7.1 and leave it there. If 5 channel audio 2 channels and the dedicated LFE channel will be blank. If stereo source then 5 channels and the LFE are blank.

If JRSS mixing is on, which I prefer, then if output Channels = 7.1, a 5.0 or 5.1 source will be upmixed to 7.1.  I do not want that, just like you do not want stereo upmixed to multichannel.  I want 5.0/.1 played as 5.1 with bass management applied (which I do in JR, BTW).

JJJ

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2017, 12:43:49 pm »

Ok. I think I can leave it at 7.1 as I am not doing any mixing in JRiver.  Only sample rate adjustment.

kr4

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2017, 01:15:44 pm »

Do you mean the 6th channel as encoded on the disc ? Or the order in the data packets mixed in by JRiver before passing it to the DAC ? Or some other order ?
It is serial data, so it is on the disc and throughout the signal path unless one changes it.

Kal Rubinson
"Music in the Round"
Pages: [1]   Go Up