INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is JRiver duplicating files?  (Read 1808 times)

rsg

• Galactic Citizen
Is JRiver duplicating files?
« on: March 15, 2017, 03:47:03 pm »

Here's something strange...an album that I have not opened up for a while (Free: Heartbreaker) suddenly has duplicates of every track. In addition to every original track there is another one (listed in the file name as 'Blackie and the Rodeo Kings/Unknown Album/Unknown Artist'). The original Free tracks all have file names like "Unknown Artist/Unknown Album/Unknown Artist,' which in itself is odd. When I ripped the album it must have been given this file name. The files all play correctly as tracks from Heartbreaker, even the ones identified as "Blackie and the Rodeo Kings.' I have JRiver running separately on two computers; it only happened on one. Anyone know what is going on....

1. Why do I have duplicates suddenly?

2. Why do the duplicates have a filename for another artist, yet play as duplicate tracks according to their name in the library?

3. Why is the original album listed (in the file name that is) as so many 'unknown' fields in the first place?

CountryBumkin

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Is JRiver duplicating files?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2017, 03:52:45 pm »

Where are the actual files (media) stored? One one of the computer's internal drives - or an external or NAS?
Are the two computers connected to each other or sharing the same media?

Are both computers running as stand-alone (server) installations or do you have them set up as a Server-Client (via MC setup)?

rsg

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2017, 04:01:47 pm »

Where are the actual files (media) stored? One one of the computer's internal drives - or an external or NAS?
Are the two computers connected to each other or sharing the same media?

Are both computers running as stand-alone (server) installations or do you have them set up as a Server-Client (via MC setup)?

The files are stored on an external hard drive. Each computer has its own external drive. The computers are not connected in any way, the one with the problem files is not even hooked up to the internet since it is used only as a music player. So, no Server-Client set up. I copy files from one computer to the other taking the second external drive and plugging it into the first computer and using File Explorer in Windows to copy over new files.

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2017, 04:26:47 pm »

A couple of screen shots might help make this more clear.

Brian.

aviateur

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2017, 04:29:56 pm »

Hi:

In the images, could you include the Date Imported and File Name fields? Thanks.

Cheers,
Lawrence
Two Cows Walk Into a Bar ...

rsg

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2017, 06:49:46 pm »

I think I might know what happens here. If you cancel a rip because it is stuck, and then insert the next CD for ripping, the metadata for the first can carry over to the second. I definitely have a ripped CD by Free (Heartbreaker) where the filename is 'Blackie and the Rodeo Kings'. Of course, I would never know because the file plays correctly and the data in the library is all correct. I don't really look at the filename because I just look at 'Artist,' Name', 'Album' in the library columns. When I copy over some files, though, I could end up with two copies of the same album/tracks. They play right, but the filenames are different. Does that make sense?

Actually, I have ended up with 81 tracks all listed in the filename as being by The Black Keys, but none of them are by that artist.

Spike1000

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2017, 03:26:09 am »

I think I might know what happens here. If you cancel a rip because it is stuck, and then insert the next CD for ripping, the metadata for the first can carry over to the second.

That issue (or one like it where the wrong metadata gets used) rings a bell as something that was reported as problem in an earlier version of MC (maybe 20 or 21).

Spike
Pages: [1]   Go Up