INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Shuffle function works sometime, only.  (Read 2072 times)

egentligen

• Recent member
Shuffle function works sometime, only.
« on: March 20, 2017, 12:59:21 pm »

Shuffle for all music works sometime ONLY. Updated 22 last week.
Whatīs wrong.  ?
Now I have to use Winamp instead. There is the shuffle function working.

egentligen

• Recent member
Re: Shuffle function works sometime, only.
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2017, 08:27:57 am »

I bought JRiver and thought there was SUPPORT for it. But donīt get any. Why?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2017, 08:39:39 am »

Sometimes nobody knows the answer.

Describe in detail what you are doing.

egentligen

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2017, 11:29:20 am »

Sometimes nobody knows the answer.

Describe in detail what you are doing.

There is  a choice: Shuffle, non shuffle and automatic shuffle. I mark shuffle (even tried automatic shuffle - but I donīt know the difference between that and shuffle.)

I asked a friend who has JRiver too, and his shuffle doesīn work either. Is there a bug in the program? I suppose we are not so many that use the shuffle function. I have the latest uppdate.

I have all my music files open when I choose shuffle. 20 000. Could it be to many for the player?

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2017, 02:54:17 pm »

Shuffle modes on all players are confusing.  I don't use them on any player including MC.  But, I just tried it on my system and it seems to work.  However, you might be expecting some kind of behavior that MC shuffle mode doesn't do.

With shuffle mode ON, every time you add more than one track to Playing Now, they are added at the end, but in random order.  The tracks at the top are not moved.  That's actually not what I was expecting.  I was expecting that any time I added tracks to playing now, that they would be randomly put into the current list.  I'm honestly not sure how it's supposed to work.  Again, I think shuffle modes are confusing and should be avoided.

But I DO LIKE SHUFFLING my tracks!  So I do it in a way that I know exactly what's going to happen and it gives me the behavior I want.  I add tracks (usually whole albums) to Playing Now.  When I'm done, I press control-shift-R, which shuffles everything in Playing Now from the current play position on down.  If I wanted to shuffle EVERYTHING in Playing Now, I'd just do control-R.

Notice that I'm talking a lot about Playing Now.  It's what MC plays from.  If you are not already, you should be looking at Playing Now to see what's going on.  Playing Now shows you *exactly* what is going to be played.

I have a feeling you want to shuffle your whole library and play back EVERYTHING you have, all in random order.  Here's a quickie procedure that will do that for you:

1.  Go to a view that shows all of your tracks or all of your albums. 
2.  Click on any album or track.  Then select everything with control-a .
3.  Right click and select "add to playing now".
4.  If you had shuffle mode turned on, you should be done.  Press play and listen.
or
5.  If shuffle mode was off, do a "reshuffle playing now" with control-R .  (or Player > Shuffle > Reshuffle).  Press Play and listen.

I hope this helps get you going.

Brian.

egentligen

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2017, 07:29:11 am »

Thank you Brian!! ;)
Shuffle works - in a special way. All my music files seems to lay in random order when I look at them in Playing Now.
And MC plays them from the top and down, one by one! So it is random. But in a new way for me.
Thanks a lot, again.
Egentligen

aviateur

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2017, 09:54:10 am »

Hi:

I have not found any documentation on 'Shuffle Automatic'. But, my limited experience so far indicates the following behavior occurs when this option is selected. if 'Shuffle Automatic' is selected, shuffling will occur for a given set of selected tracks, no matter how they are selected, as long as two or more albums are associated with the selected tracks.

Here's are two examples. 1) If you select a large box set of 200 tracks where each track has the same [Album] name, the 'Shuffle Automatic' option will have no effect on the playback sequence. This set of tracks will be played sequentially, 1 through 200. 2) If you select  tracks from more than 1 (2+) album, no matter how many tracks are involved, playback shuffling will occur when 'Shuffle Automatic' is selected because 2 or more [Album] names were involved in your selection of tracks. As Brian indicated, look in Playing Now once you have made your selection to determine the order of playback based on the Playback options you have chosen prior to track selection.

Cheers,
Lawrence
Two Cows Walk Into a Bar ...

egentligen

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2017, 11:21:27 am »

Thanks  Lawrence. :)

And now Iīm beginning to understand how the support works.

Lots of questions here about JRiver by the way. It seems that it is a complicated tool. Not for everyone.

aviateur

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2017, 11:57:04 am »

Hi:

I posted a similar comment like this yesterday for someone new to the forum and MC. Most will tell you that there's a bit of a learning curve with this product. But once you start to experiment with views and, perhaps, the application of the expression language, you will start to appreciate the rich (albeit complex) functionality and start to gain an understanding of how thing work. Right now, I only use MC to manage my audio library but I have experimented with .mkv video files in preparation for video management in the future.

As I stated yesterday, my biggest irritant is the lack of proper documentation for reference purposes. And the forum can be 'hit or miss' some times when you ask questions. Just look at my recent 'Jump Back' / 'Jump Forward' post. But, for the most part, you should get meaningful answers to your queries. The trick is to provide a detailed explanation of your situation in your post. Once I started to understand the basic operation of MC, the forum interaction, and the lack of proper documentation, I started to experiment with options. Whenever I do, I make sure everything is backed up before I head down that path. At this point, I'm comfortable with the basics: view, tagging, custom fields and even custom keystroke combinations so I have personally committed to contributing because I also learn quite a bit from the challenges that others have. Simply stated, I have a vested interest to help because the possibility of learning something new in the process exists. Additionally, I enjoy the synergy and camaraderie even if it is anonymous.

I was right where you are not to long ago. Good luck and don't get discouraged. The bottom line, it is a great media manager but as you said, it is not for everyone. I suspect everyone here has some degree of an engineering mentality with which they operate.

Cheers,
Lawrence
Two Cows Walk Into a Bar ...

egentligen

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2017, 02:52:27 pm »

:) :) :)
Aviateur!
Pages: [1]   Go Up