INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Identify dual TV episodes  (Read 2615 times)

koupa

• Recent member
Identify dual TV episodes
« on: March 21, 2017, 03:27:10 pm »

My standard naming of TV shows is the following

Title S01E01.ext

But I have some series that have some dual episodes. Eg Friends S06 episodes 16 and 17. In IMDB and TVDB they are S06E16 and S06E17. But I have a single file named Friends S06E16 - S06E17. How can I put it inside the series?

Kodi and Plex identify it as two seperate episodes but when you play it it starts from the beginning.

Spike1000

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Identify dual TV episodes
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2017, 03:45:06 pm »

MC 'Particles' may help here.

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Particles

If it were me I'd probably split the single file into the two episodes (bit I like lowest common denominator solutions  :) ) or maybe you could just re-rip that DVD into separate episodes.

Spike

CountryBumkin

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2017, 03:49:13 pm »

You have a "single file" that contains both episodes? What format is it in (.mkv, .ts, or ?)?

Unless you want to split the file into two files (easy to do for mkv format).

You could copy the file so you have one named Friends.S06E16. and one names Friends.S06E17. Then "bookmark" E17 so it starts at the correct place (mid-file). This wastes disk space for sure.

Best thing, IMO, is to split the file into two files/episodes.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2017, 03:51:10 pm »

You can use particles to split them logically in the database, without changing the files themself, if you want to.

Personally, I just keep them one entry and manually edit the [Episode] field to say 16-17 or something like that.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

koupa

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2017, 03:52:01 pm »

I think I'll go for splitting. The file is whole in the DVD since it's a dual episode. And in general I'm against "virtual" modifications. I want my files to be complete independent from any software I use.

blgentry

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2017, 04:42:12 pm »

I like koupa's thinking on this.  It's the most simple, most consistent answer.  Yay!

Brian.

koupa

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2017, 05:46:09 pm »

I split the files and everything is fine. Well almost because the second part is without the music intro. OK I'll live with that.

I wish that the music collection would be so easy. :'( It's the only drawback in this excellent software.

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2017, 11:27:16 pm »

This is a problem in general, not a good way to handle it anywhere. It was two separate episodes when aired on TV (even if aired 'back to back', but on the redistribution it was made one single continuous video.

You can either manually split it, like you did - but typically you would never watch the 2nd half of these without the first part for continuity sake.

What I do is give it an episode number of "16-17", then populate the tag data with S16 info and manually paste in any relevant S17 data as needed to the appropriate tags (like name/description).

My worst example of this is the first episodes of Stargate Universe. The first episodes (titled 'Air') were originally broadcast as 3 separate episodes (Air (1), Air (2), and Air (3)) but is really one long episode. In my library the filename for that one is "Stargate Universe.S01E01-02-03.2009-10-02.Air (1-3).mkv" with the episode name "Air (1-3)" and an episode tag of "1-3". The description tag has all three descriptions from TVDB as three separate paragraphs.

The nice thing about MC (vs other solutions) is that you have near complete control in how you handle this. Do what makes sense to you.

koupa

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2017, 02:01:55 am »

I think that the problem is in both sides. Yesterday I looked at the tvdb and imdb and saw that the specific episodes were aired the same day. So they could update their db to show one episode.

Pages: [1]   Go Up