INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Distributed JRiver MC  (Read 1336 times)

media-mogul

• Recent member
Distributed JRiver MC
« on: March 25, 2017, 09:42:24 am »

Hi,
ATM, I have a single MC instance running on my HTPC. I use it for music only, connected via USB to my DAC and onto a receiver. My music library lives on a NAS (FreeNAS) in a server rack downstairs and is mounted from Windows via SMB over a wired network connection. I don't want my music stored on the HTPC if I can avoid it...

I don't like this architecture chiefly because of the SMB volume mount and the reliance on windows networking to maintain a stable connection to the NAS, which it has failed to do on a fairly regular basis in the past. What I'd prefer is for the MC backend library management to be running on, or close, to the NAS and for the client/player functionality to live on the HTPC interacting with the backend server via api calls.

Is this possible with jriver? How do I get to the kind of flexible & distributed setup I want?

Regards,
David

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Distributed JRiver MC
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2017, 09:48:35 am »

The wiki has a topic called Media Network that describes some of the possibilities.

MC won't run on a NAS, but you can use any computer to run MC and let MC import files from your NAS.  The JRiver Id could do that.

media-mogul

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2017, 11:12:51 am »

MC won't run on a NAS

Is that because of its resource and/or hardware requirements? Could I run MC in a container will everything turned off except the ability to service media requests? FreeNAS runs 3rd party apps in containers I believe and my NAS has plenty of CPU and RAM with exactly this kind of use case in mind...

I don't rule out using a JRiver Id but I'd still be mounting my library via SMB right? Fundamentally that doesn't sound like it will be taking me in the direction I want.

ThoBar

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Was confishy
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2017, 09:39:04 am »

There's some docker containers with MC ready to go.
Pages: [1]   Go Up