INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help in setting up MC with NAS (Synology) accessed from various PCs  (Read 2020 times)

sot13

• Recent member

Hi to all. My setup is the following: All my audio files are residing in my Synology NAS. In the same LAN there are 2 desktops and 2 laptops. Currently, they all have MC loaded and have their own "library" and playlists locally.
What I would like is to change configuration - if possible - so all 4 clients, "see" and use the same exact library and playlists number of plays etc. Is that possible? How?
Thank you in advance

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Help in setting up MC with NAS (Synology) accessed from various PCs
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2017, 02:27:57 am »

You set up just one instance of MC to access the files on the NAS. This is called the MC server instance. And it must be always on.

And you set the other three instances of MC to access the library from that server MC instance. These are called the MC clients.

There is extensive help on this in the Wiki under Media Network.
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

sot13

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2017, 12:25:31 pm »

Thank you very much for the reply. However, if I understand well your suggestion, this defies the idea of having all tracks on a NAS, since I would have to have one PC (the server in your solution) on too. Am I mistaken? Thank you again

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2017, 02:17:42 pm »

Well, you could obviously point several MC server instances at the NAS..
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

akira54

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2017, 04:32:44 pm »

Thank you very much for the reply. However, if I understand well your suggestion, this defies the idea of having all tracks on a NAS, since I would have to have one PC (the server in your solution) on too. Am I mistaken? Thank you again
No you are not mistaken. To do what you want MC would have to run on the NAS too and although there are others who would love to do that (I am one of them) this has not been implemented (yet?).

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2017, 05:13:11 pm »

The JRiver Id makes a good file server if you connect a USB drive.  It's very low power.

sot13

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2017, 12:13:08 am »

Thank you JimH - I am not sure I understand your suggestion though!

sot13

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2017, 04:51:03 am »

akira54 Thank you for your answer. I suspect it would be relatively easy to implement, if MC was storing the database files on NAS instead on each local PC - that way each PC - client, would access the same tracks from NAS.

Manfred

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2017, 05:06:15 am »

Hi,
I have mainly the same set-up as you, a HTPC, a PC and a Laptop connected through the LAN with all my media files stored on my QNAP NAS.

Currently I typically have my HTPC (Living Room) on and mount the HTPC library path to the PC.

Then I could edit my Metadata on the PC.

I have done a short test to put my library centrally on a USB Flash Storage Device connected to my AVM Router. Generally it works,  but seems a little bit slower than the use of a local ssd. But I have not tested it in depth.
WS (AMD Ryzen 7 5700G, 32 GB DDR4-3200, 2x2 TB SDD, LG 34UC98-W)-USB|ADI-2 DAC FS|Canton AM5 - File Server (i3-3.9 GHz, 16GB ECC DDR4-2400, 46 TB disk space) - Media Renderer (i3-3.8 GHz, 8GB DDR4-2133, GTX 960)-USB|Devialet D220 Pro|Audeze LCD 2|B&W 804S|LG 4K OLED )
Pages: [1]   Go Up