INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: File Associations and a file's Type as displayed by Windows Explorer  (Read 1873 times)

Don W

• World Citizen

I can't say this is a bug or anything, but something seems kind of weird. In Windows 10, all files for which MC has a file association display "Media Center file" in the Type column of Windows Explorer. This isn't exactly wrong, I know. The problem is that if a folder has multiple file types, say some mp3 files and some jpg files, it is not possible to sort them by "Type" in file explorer. Yes, I can add a column to explorer for file extension, but it is only temporary. What's kind of weird is that it isn't normally the case for the Type column to display the name of the associated application. For example, if I use Windows settings to change the default app for mp3 files to Groove Music, then the Type for those files in explorer changes to "MP3 File." If I use windows to set the default app back to JRiver, the Type goes back to "Media Center file". Similarly for jpg files, if I set the default app to Photos. I have tried associating various file types to different applications and MC is the only one I have found where the type is always one value for all extensions. For this reason I think MC must be setting the value that is used by explorer for the Type column, and I'm wondering if this could possibly be changed so different file types in the same folder can be easily grouped.

~OHM~

• Citizen of the Universe
  • "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
Re: File Associations and a file's Type as displayed by Windows Explorer
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2017, 09:03:30 pm »

I can't say this is a bug or anything, but something seems kind of weird. In Windows 10, all files for which MC has a file association display "Media Center file" in the Type column of Windows Explorer. This isn't exactly wrong, I know. The problem is that if a folder has multiple file types, say some mp3 files and some jpg files, it is not possible to sort them by "Type" in file explorer. Yes, I can add a column to explorer for file extension, but it is only temporary. What's kind of weird is that it isn't normally the case for the Type column to display the name of the associated application. For example, if I use Windows settings to change the default app for mp3 files to Groove Music, then the Type for those files in explorer changes to "MP3 File." If I use windows to set the default app back to JRiver, the Type goes back to "Media Center file". Similarly for jpg files, if I set the default app to Photos. I have tried associating various file types to different applications and MC is the only one I have found where the type is always one value for all extensions. For this reason I think MC must be setting the value that is used by explorer for the Type column, and I'm wondering if this could possibly be changed so different file types in the same folder can be easily grouped.
I noticed this also and came up with- It happend after a windows update. I am still using W7 as I have no use for W10
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2017, 10:24:54 pm »

It's nothing to do with Windows 10. MC has been this way for a long, long time now...

At least as far back as 2003... > http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,17299.0.html

Me? I don't have any file associations set against Media Center at all.
All playback is started from within MC, never from explorer, so it doesn't matter about file associations.

I understand that many users prefer the other way around, so, maybe, no file association, and then right click in explorer > "Open with..." might be an acceptable approach?

-marko

Don W

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2017, 01:50:32 pm »

Sometimes I want to open something that isn't in the library, and I don't want to be. But that isn't very often so your suggestion of not setting any file associations against MC and use "Open With" when needed is probably the thing to do.
Pages: [1]   Go Up