INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lyrics Service - Hope so!  (Read 2782 times)

Pink Waters

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Finally I understand the feelings of the few
Lyrics Service - Hope so!
« on: July 08, 2003, 04:51:24 pm »

I always ask my self, is there any lyrics service looks like YADB service sort of in auto downloading lyrics to mp3! and if so .. i hope this is added to MC ... and if not, i wish you be the first to start this service.

and keep up with good work Guys :)

Hope This is opened for Discussion on this pre-service
Tamer

digital:rogue

• Recent member
  • insert generic tagline here.
Re: Lyrics Service - Hope so!
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2003, 07:31:47 pm »

I always ask my self, is there any lyrics service looks like YADB service sort of in auto downloading lyrics to mp3! and if so .. i hope this is added to MC ... and if not, i wish you be the first to start this service.

The YADB service is simply a replacement for the venerable CDDB service, which is now completely out of hand due to mis-management over the years.

There is a plugin available from the MC website, or directly from the 'download plugins' in the 'plugins manager' in MC (same thing, different method), that will download lyrics, album covers, and artist information from the internet. The only real downfall is the interface is a bit overwhelming at first, coming with a bit of a learning curve; however, once you get the hang of it you can usually find what you are looking for.

Hope this helps.

-Rob
.-=digital.rogue=-.
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

nila

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2003, 11:47:28 pm »

This has been asked for before and unfortunately wont be added.

The reason being that the RIAA is a bunch of &£"$"! and dont like to see people using any format they're not getting commission on/haven't invented themselves.

They dont control computer music formats and consider us all a bunch of pirates for having music anywhere other than on the original CD we bought that they got a FAT cheque for.

As such there are large legal issues with saving the lyrics - Basically they'd sue as the lyrics are copyrighted (didn't we pay the copyright fee when we paid for the music - yes we did but they want even more money if u want lyrics).

Just use the plugin until someone honest (non money orientated) takes over the RIAA.

Pink Waters

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2003, 01:31:10 pm »

Yeah, Might be someone ... Hope so
it would be very interesting as i guess :D
Tamer

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2003, 02:08:46 pm »

www.azlyrics.com

I've had some really good luck finding lyrics to the songs I'm looking for there.

digital:rogue

• Recent member
  • insert generic tagline here.
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2003, 05:49:45 pm »

Just use the plugin until someone honest (non money orientated) takes over the RIAA.

I wouldn't count on THAT one anytime soon  >:(

We live in a society where $=power, and power=more $

I was actually reading somewhere that the RIAA sued a HUGE lyrics website in Switzerland (or somewhere nearby there) that had hundreds of thousands of songs published on their site. I can't even remember what ungodly sum they were seeking in punitive damages.
.-=digital.rogue=-.
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

nila

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2003, 12:27:29 am »

yeah,
I can see why they'd have to sue for so much.

I mean all those people that love the song and want to know what they're saying in it. Imagine actually letting them find out, that is disasterous. Totally damaging to society at large.

Better get the lawyers on that instead of on the rapists because letting people read some text for personal home use is really really bad.

Sueing people stealing it to make money off of it I can understand but people at home just wanting to know the lyrics??
I wish someone would turn around and sue them back.

The lawsuit would be over being: Greedy monopolistic b*stards who are corrupting the world and making EVERYTHING about the $$.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2003, 06:26:41 am »

How are lyrics to a song any different than the text from a book? Of course they'd protect the copywright of the lyrics...

Just because it's set to music doesn't mean it's any different than a book of poetry. You wouldn't blame JK Rowling for suing if somebody posted the entire text of the new Harry Potter book online, would you?

nila

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2003, 06:46:37 am »

no because that's totally different.

His product is the book, the entertainment value, what your getting is the words, the story.

With the music, you've already paid for the music and the rights to it. The words aren't what is making the profit but the song itself.
You own the song and can listen to it as much as you want, but might never quite catch the words, someone with better hearing might pick up the words straight away.

If you've both paid for the song then u have as much right to know the words as the guy who has better hearing. I could sing the same words and it wouldn't make it the same song, it's my voice that does and the background music etc.
With a book, it makes no difference what voice it's in, your paying for the story itself.

It's not the same.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2003, 09:36:07 am »

The lyrics are still covered under the same copywright laws as the rest of the song. The song is the music and the lyrics. Not just the music.

You don't own a song. You don't ever own the rights to that song. You've purchased a license to listen to it on the medium that you choose. That's it. You don't automatically get the right to do what you want with the material on that CD.

Plus if you publish the lyrics to a song, you've now given those people who haven't purchased the CD a copy of the lyrics as well.

The artist doesn't just write the music. They write the lyrics as well. It's all part of the same package. You can't seperate one from the other.

Oh, and... JK Rowling is a woman, not a man.

nila

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2003, 10:28:37 am »

This is a no win arguement.

I personally dont think they should be so greedy.

I think they're one of the most greedy and corrupt industries out there. The fact that one of the members of congress is pushing for the FBI to be involved (and has done it) so they are now chasing people who download music instead of chasing terrorists, rapists, murderers etc.

One interesting point someone made to the article was a link to who the congress mans sponsors - I had a look at them and his top 15 sponsors were ALL the music industry, movie industry.

That is the HEIGHT of corruption in my opinion and I find them and their laws ridiculas.

Threatening people with sentenses for sharing music that are twice that of what a rapist gets, twice that of a murder is in my opinion the height of corruption and the principle of worshipping money above everything else.

The amount of damage a rapist does to someones life is soooo non compareable to the damage that music pirates do to anyones life in ANY measure other than financial.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2003, 10:40:01 am »

I don't disagree with any of what you just said.

I think they are greedy. But I don't disagree with an artist trying to protect their own work. And that means the entirety of their work. I just think they should find a way to give the consumers what we want, and still compensate the artists.

This whole thing about music pirates receiving stiffer penalties than rapists and murderers is news to me, though. It probably comes down to the sheer amount of piracy. If one count of piracy constitutes one day in jail, then it doesn't take long for a person with 5,000+ illegal files on their computer to accumulate a huge sentence. But I can't really comment as I don't know any of the details. I'd be interested to see what sentences have actually been handed out, though.

nila

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2003, 01:23:24 pm »

Some of the guys from a warez distrobution group were given 17 years.

Obviously they were responsible for a large amount of piracy but at the end of the day, no matter how great an amount of piracy they were responsible for, I'd still like to see ONE person that got damaged emotionally or in any way other than financial, as much as a rape victim, parents of a murdered child, even just victim of rape.

There are other cases where the RIAA has demanded like over $15,000 from students who were distrobuting files on their school networks.

Basically they've put these students in the situation where their lives are financially destroyed before they even are started.
Most students do it for a laugh of just because they're bored, not to cause serious harm.

They're given punishments to 'make an example of them' which basically means they're getting punishments FAR worse than they deserve to scare other people and these individuals are having their lives ruined so that RIAA can try convince people that £15 for a cd is a reasonable price when I know for a fact I could make the cd for 50p.
The artist needs money sure and so do their promotional companies, managers etc but £14 per cd profit or 1400% profit is OVER THE TOP.

I'm  a part time dancer and so have worked with a couple of artists and know a few people who are starting off, some of them sold 10's of thousands of records and barely made a few thousand off of it.
They didn't get the money for their work - their label did - That's WRONG - they're the criminals far worse than the people downloading the songs.

They're not fighting for that artists rights because they care about them so much, they're fighting because it's them that's loosing the majority of the money and they use the 'poor artist' as a sympathy point.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2003, 02:25:39 pm »

Preaching to the choir... :)

Pink Waters

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2003, 03:18:50 pm »

guys i really think that it would not be any copyrights for this pre service in case of its made as mp3/wma/...(any edia file capable of storing lyrics in its id tags) service coz no other media like audio cds would have id tags for storing lyrics !
Tamer

nila

« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2003, 11:46:45 pm »

Tommy,

Whether or not any of us think it would be breaking copyright the RIAA does and so we dont really have much choice.

You go against them, they work you over. Money talks and they have toooo much of it. They've been closing some sites that provide lyrics lookups and so they're oposed to it.

If MC was to include any type of lyrics in it's db they'd turn on MC and they dont really have the spare millions that the RIAA does for a big lawsuit.

nila

« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2003, 01:20:25 am »

Now that's what I call liking music for music - that's what it's meant to be about - just having people loving your music and wanting everyone to be listening to it.

Sure he might have just been saying it - but what he said is right - they're all LOADED, none of them NEED more money, they live in HUGE mansions with 5 or 6 of the most expensive cars money can buy, boats, the rest of it.

At least he still remembers why he got into music.
Madonna on the other hand I think has lost it - she used to be amazing with her first albums, her freedom and originality.
Nowdays her music just changes to represent the latest style and doesn't represent her at all. You can sooo tell by the lack of dept in it compared to her earlier stuff.
She did the oposite to Mobb Deep - she did a recording for the RIAA telling us all to go f*ck ourselves then they distrobuted it on the file sharing networks with some false names to make people download it.

People found out REALLY fast and it totally backfired, websites opened dedicated to the new madonna song, people started remixing it into songs and beats and doing songs with replies to her message.

Artists who give their fans free music on their sites every now and then to thank the fans for getting them where they are, are the ones the fans love - the artists realise they're millionaires so instead of trying to get EVEN MORE money out their fans, they show some gratitude and love for their fans support by giving them some music.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2003, 04:31:38 am »

Anybody got a link to Madonna's message to pirates? I've been wanting to hear it ever since I heard about it.

I hope I'm not treading on thin ice by asking... I wouldn't think so. First of all, it's not a real song by her, and secondly... she put it out there herself for us to download. So in my mind it would be perfectly legit to do so.

nila

« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2003, 08:00:05 am »

lol.

She got publicity but not in a good way.

One min - I'll find u a link and post it.

It's fully legal as:
1. like u said - she made it for us to download
2. it's mainly just put as an overlay on other people's own stuff so it's barely even hers
3. It's too funny not to be legal.
4. I'd LOVE to see the RIAA try to argue that the song they released for us to download is illegal for us to download :)

Pink Waters

« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2003, 08:21:14 am »

What a Steel copyright :)
Tamer

nila

« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2003, 08:32:52 am »

Wahoo!!!

Took a while but with a bit of effort I found the site that had them.

http://www.irixx.org/madonna/madonnaremix.html

Supposedly this won one of the contests though:

http://boycott.dmusic.com/music/stream/lofi/65052

Enjoy the remixes!

Pink Waters

« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2003, 08:35:35 am »

nila,
bit i heard roger waters (Pink Floyd Founder) in an interview that he finds the mp3 and online media is a problem for him and most artists in selling records!:/
Tamer

nila

« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2003, 10:36:18 am »

Yeah,
obviously if everyone is downloading music it's going to effect their sales. That's obvious logic.

The problem is though and the reason that everyone hates them is because they're around 100 years behind technology and what can be done and they dont seem to be making ANY effort or putting any resources into trying to catch up with technology or what people want, they have their business model and they wont shift from it.

They'd rather spend the money just trying to stop the industry changing and sueing everyone rather than spending it on research and giving consumers what they want.

Apples music service TOOK OFF because they designed it and gave us what we want - easy access to songs without having to go to the shop and pay £4 for a single.

No one hates them for trying to stop the artists loosing money, everyone hates them because they're acting like bullies and wont let anyone start a legal music service online unless basically it's them doing it - bigger monopoly than MS.

They suck basically and everyone knows it :)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2003, 10:49:55 am »

Nila,
If you want to rip the RIAA, please do it somewhere else.  They haven't always made the best decisions for users, but they have a valid and legal interest in protecting the businesses they represent.  Trying to promote a revolt against them is, in my opinion, contrary to the interest of those who enjoy music.

Jim

I'm going to close this thread.
Pages: [1]   Go Up