INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Streaming services  (Read 1784 times)

Z0001

• Citizen of the Universe
Streaming services
« on: May 19, 2017, 05:00:53 am »

Hi all

I am sure there has been discussion on how/if/when MC will accommodate streaming services.

I am keen to know what people think of the quality of streaming v Blu ray on MC. I seem to notice a difference on HD stuff. Streaming​ (I use Netflix integrated into MC) seems to have a bit of what I'd describe as a wobble, a bit like DVD does compared to Blu ray. And Netflix in Australia is rubbish for movies.

I am at a point where my local rental options have become unreliable for Blu ray current releases and paying AUD30 for a title feels steep. So I am weighing up streaming options ... But I love MC and it's my interface for all other media so I want to keep it rather than having a separate web based thing or apple tv.

Are others having this type of dilemma? What are people doing?

ferday

• MC Beta Team
Re: Streaming services
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2017, 05:25:46 am »

netflix australia is indeed quite rubbish, although i always find a gem here and there.  i find the quality isn't as good as a proper bluray, but i often don't care with movies as much as audio

the best way (here at least) IMO is to hit up the gumtree - there are always a lot of people selling collections for cheap.

Z0001

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2017, 08:42:33 am »

Thanks yes, Gumtree is a good option for second hand stuff. But still looking for a way to get current releases.

Will MC 23 attempt more streaming integration, anyone?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2017, 09:00:02 am »

There are only two things the prevent us from doing more streaming.

Restrictions from the movie studios that prevent open access.  We supported Netflix very well for the first couple of years, but they changed the rules and locked their API.  Probably because of studio demands.

A shaky financial proposition.  Services come and go.  We spend a lot of time and money to support them, then something changes.

Eventually, it may be possible.
Pages: [1]   Go Up