INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Feature Requests (hopefully easy)  (Read 5146 times)

wolffe

• Recent member
Feature Requests (hopefully easy)
« on: June 01, 2017, 02:18:04 am »

As adding named network user support is pretty large, how about a *read only* network user? I know I can work around this in several ways, including setting the MC instance to party mode, or having media and library on a read only share, but this is klunky. For those with kids or idiot roomates, allowing them access to the library remotely and denying them the ability to damage it while still allowing me to update the library would be killer.

API and remotes: have a video frame grabbed every couple of seconds, or at least sent to the remote on pause.

Remotes: selection and toggle of subtitles, audio streams, as well as ”night mode” toggle.

Remotes: DNS lookup for server addition: I want to be able to enter jriver.mydomain.com in the server box.

Thank you for your consideration.

rossp

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Feature Requests (hopefully easy)
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2017, 03:40:52 am »

As adding named network user support is pretty large, how about a *read only* network user? I know I can work around this in several ways, including setting the MC instance to party mode, or having media and library on a read only share, but this is klunky. For those with kids or idiot roomates, allowing them access to the library remotely and denying them the ability to damage it while still allowing me to update the library would be killer.

Plus 1. I have been asking for this for a long time. It would enable me to allow my parents access to my library from their house. At the moment they would have the ability to really screw it up :(

Ross

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2017, 03:47:37 am »

We actually have support for a read-only network user since a few month in MC22 already. Check the settings in Media Network -> Read-only Authentication
I don't quite remember from the top of my head if there are any open tasks on that, but if you find any issues with it (ie. being able to change something you are not ought to be able to), please let us know.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2017, 07:01:34 am »

We actually have support for a read-only network user since a few month in MC22 already. Check the settings in Media Network -> Read-only Authentication
I don't quite remember from the top of my head if there are any open tasks on that, but if you find any issues with it (ie. being able to change something you are not ought to be able to), please let us know.

I'm not sure I knew about this.  But I just tried it.  Looks like the default is "readonly" for username and password.  I just set up EOS remote to use this under MC22.108 for Mac.  It authenticates.  But it allows changes to be made.  I was hoping it would allow you to reorder playing now.  It does.  I was hoping it would block metadata editing.  It does not.  READONLY can definitely change metadata on songs.  I edited the song title of one song, then checked in MC for Mac and that edit is there.

I have regular read/write authentication turned on also, but with (obviously) a different username and password.  I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it or not.

Brian.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2017, 07:32:05 am »

Are you sure your client didnt cache the user data or the MC auth token? Because the function to set file metadata is definitely locked behind an auth check.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

blgentry

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2017, 05:36:58 pm »

^ I hadn't considered that.  So I tested it fairly thoroughly:

I restarted MC.  Restarted the phone.  Removed all server profiles from EOS on the phone other than the read only one.  Changed the password in MC for the read only section.  Reconfigured EOS to use the new read only password.  Restarted MC again.  Reconnected.

...and I'm still able to change song titles from EOS.  I've verified that with Standard View in MC.

I'd be happy to retest some other way if I'm doing something unexpected or wrong.

Thanks,

Brian.

okey

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2017, 05:41:33 am »

I would love the feature of crossfading tracks when using jremote so i can have my playlists crossfade when listening on my ipad.

chrisgreen

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2017, 06:29:56 am »

I would also like crossfade in jremote!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2017, 06:32:37 am »

Please turn off the Tapatalk ad in your signature settings.

Kid Twist

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2017, 10:19:48 am »

I'd like to second this and add that it's not just access to the library data that I would like to see limited. I would also like the ability to restrict where a user can play music. I have zones set up for speakers in different rooms in my apartment. Right now, as far as I can tell, there's nothing to prevent a friend or family member outside my home from accidentally (or mischievously) playing music in my bedroom in the middle of the night.   

RD James

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2017, 12:57:44 pm »

Being able to set up multiple users with permissions would be really good.
The obvious one is a "Kids" user which only has access to certain whitelisted content via custom views, and can only play to certain zones rather than having whole-house access.
Same thing for a "Guest" user which would have access to different views and zones, and perhaps other permissions like not being able to stop or interrupt playback, only add to or edit the playing now list - and only local access.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2017, 08:23:32 am »

I restarted MC.  Restarted the phone.  Removed all server profiles from EOS on the phone other than the read only one.  Changed the password in MC for the read only section.  Reconfigured EOS to use the new read only password.  Restarted MC again.  Reconnected.

...and I'm still able to change song titles from EOS.  I've verified that with Standard View in MC.

I'm not sure what's happening here.  I just had Brad connect to my library with the read-only user and he made some changes and when he submits, it just says "You can't do that."

And looking at the code, the Library/Merge function is behind authentication, so I wouldn't expect it to accept any changes as read-only.

I tried connecting to my library with Gizmo using the read-only credentials, but I don't think there's any way to send tag changes from it.

Thanks for any tips.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2017, 08:56:39 am »

Gizmo can update the rating field.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2017, 08:57:48 am »

I'm sure that one of the builds had a change that allowed us to set a chosen username and password for readonly users too...

Edit:
Using JRemote, connecting over WiFi using either cutom credentials, or 'readonly/readonly', and it's allowing me to change ratings and delete playlists, so, not really read only at the moment :(

Makes no difference if you choose 'this device' or 'on the server' for playback, changes are still applied.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2017, 09:26:11 am »

Well I see a little problem with the rating.  We can set it even though we're connected with read-only because we send a token and a token grants full privilege.

I'll take a crack at fixing it.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

dr. shane

• Recent member
  • Gig 'Em !
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2018, 06:44:39 pm »

Looking for a way to select the default audio track on a given client for an mkv with multiple audio tracks (ie, DD 5.1, TrueHD 7.1, DTS 5.1 ,etc)?  Some of my clients need 5.1; others 7.1, and still others stereo, b/c of the audio setup for that particular client pc.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2018, 09:30:53 pm »

Try the On Screen Display in Theater View.  Pause the movie, then use up or down arrow to cycle through the settings.  Left or right arrow to choose.
Pages: [1]   Go Up