INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Access Music Files on NAS  (Read 3084 times)

Bucky Brown

• Recent member
Access Music Files on NAS
« on: June 26, 2017, 05:10:29 pm »

I just moved my music files to a WD MyCloud NAS.  How do I configure MC 19 so that it knows where to find such files?  I see many posts on this subject but assistance in finding a simple How-To article would be much appreciated.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Access Music Files on NAS
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2017, 05:11:21 pm »

In Import settings, you can browse to the location.  It will be under Network.

Bucky Brown

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2017, 07:11:26 pm »

Jim - thanks for your reply.  But I don' think I want to Import my music files.  They now reside on my NAS (whereas before they were on my PC's hard drive).  I want MC to find them on the NAS.   Under Tools>Import I select Add Library and then select the button for Local Library and use Browse to enter the file location on the NAS where the music files reside.  But I then get the following error message:  "Cannot create a new library at the specified location.  The directly must be empty."

Maybe I don't understand your comments.  Any advice would be much appreciated.
Regards,
Bucky

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2017, 06:04:57 am »

Bucky,

This is just a terminology problem.  In MC we define these terms:

Import:  Add to MC's internal inventory.  This does NOT move files.  It only makes references to where these files are, and reads their metadata (album, artist, etc).  This process is how MC keeps track of all media files.

Library:  The internal database and the small database files that MC uses to in order to access this data.  Generally speaking, you don't want to move the Library from it's default location.  ...and you only want one library.  Again, this is just the internal data that MC uses to store the metadata from your media files.

So with that said, you probably *do* want to import the files from your NAS and you probably do *not* want to create a new library.

Good luck!

Brian.

somebike

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2017, 07:52:24 am »

If I understand your question,  I think you are asking about getting a library that was already created to find those files in a new location. If so, check out this link:

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Moving_Files

Hope this helps.
Pages: [1]   Go Up