INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: help please! - sharing library over network  (Read 1176 times)

stefan

• nothing more to say...
help please! - sharing library over network
« on: June 30, 2003, 12:42:08 am »

Beginner question: sorry if answered before but couldnot find in archives.

I have a desktop computer (Win 2K) with two big hard drives with .wav files on (the drive letters are X: and Y:). This PC I do my ripping on, and configure the entire library in MC on. In total, 500 CDs on 2x 160 GB drives.

On a small home LAN, I have a laptop (WinXP) , also with MC, and would like to share the library with the desktop, so the wav files can stream through the network across the house through the laptop and into the hi-fi,and all the lengthy tagging and organising I've done does not need to be repeated.

However, even if I map the two big HDDs on the laptop and import a backup of the library, I get a path error, with MC on the laptopunableto find the wav files.

Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong, or explain (simply pls) if there is another way of sharing a library across a LAN?

A million thanks to anyone who can help.

stefan

WantItToWork

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Re: help please! - sharing library over network
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2003, 02:16:32 am »

I guess you get the error because you do not have an x or y drive on your laptop.  

I have not tested this, but you could try mapping an x and y drive to the x and y drive on your desktop computer.  

-  On your desktop computer, right click the X drive and click sharing
 - enter a share name and set the share and security permissions to everyone read (or customize them)
 -  on your laptop, browse network neighbourhood to your other computer and map X to the shared folder
 - do the same for Y drive

The paths should then be correct and the same media library should work on both computers

There is a 'Share Library' function that can be accessed through the library manager, but I am new to MC and have not used this.

PS - are you ripping all your CDs to wav files or mp3?  mp3's retain their tags and so can be easily re-imported and are much smaller in size.

stefan

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2003, 03:35:51 am »

many thx for the help, will try that out.

No, I don't do anything in MP3. Being a purist and given the size/price ratio now of hard drives, I just leave everything in wav format. However when I get the system working, I will alsogive ape (lossless) a try.

thanks again, stefan

John Gateley

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Nice haircut
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2003, 09:51:28 am »

Hi Stefan,

Check out Media Server -t his does what you want.

j

Wobbley

• World Citizen
  • What a bum rap for a nice, sensitive guy like me
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2003, 12:30:57 pm »

Stefan,

Do this:

1. On PC with .wav files, open MC and go to "Tools", "More Tools", "Media Server".

2. In Media Server window, click "Settings", "Options..."

3. Check both "Startup" checkboxes if you want the files available through the Media Server to your laptop at all times. Otherwise, you'll have to do this everytime you open MC on your PC with the .wav files.

4. Click the "Network" icon and configure the port settings to work with your home network (if you have hardware firewall, make sure you set it up for port forwarding to the PC with .wav files when requests to PC w/ .wav files are made to router (check your router instructions if this applies and you don't know what to do). Click "OK" button once port settings are configured.

5. Still in Media Server window, click "File", then "Share".  Look at status bar at bottom of Media Server (not Media Center) window and make sure it says something like "Sharing (your PC's current date and time)"

6. Open MC on your laptop.

7. Click "File", "Library...", "Library Manager"

8. You'll probably see one library there, called "Default".

9. Click the "Add" button.

10. In the "Name" field, enter anything you want, like "Server", or "Music Server", or whatever you want the library to show up as in MC on your laptop (I'll get to that later).

11. In the "Location" box, enter the IP Address of either (a) the router if you have one, or (b) the IP address of the PC with the .wav files. When you enter the IP Address, make sure that you follow the last octet with ":[port number you specified when you setup the Media Server on the PC with .wav files]", so it might look something like this:

24.157.152.255:81

Where 24.157.152.255 is the IP Address of the router or PC with .wav files, and 81 is the port you specified when you configured the Media Server on the PC with .wav files.  If you didn't specify a port number, put :80 after the IP Address, as this is the default port that the Media Server uses.

12. Click the "OK" button, which returns you to the library view.  You will now see your default library AND the one you just created (which will be named whatever you typed in the "Name" field when you added it).

13. Left-click once on the library you just created, then click the "Load" button.

14.  MC will now search for the PC with the IP Address you entered that is sharing it's media library.  Presumably it will find your PC with .wav files.

15. Expand the Media Library node.  You will now be able to view the .wav file PC's library on your laptop as if that library was on your laptop.

Hope that helps...

Wobbley

LisaRCT

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2003, 06:10:06 pm »

Whenever I try to start MEdia Server I get an error message stating: "Couldn't create WebRemote listener"
"failed to start remote server"

Any clues?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2003, 02:34:44 am »

Whenever I try to start MEdia Server I get an error message stating: "Couldn't create WebRemote listener"
"failed to start remote server"

Any clues?

You may have webremote running on the same port as Media Server is running on.   Just change one of them.
Pages: [1]   Go Up