INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mfr. Mail-in Rebate  (Read 6428 times)

zevele10

Mfr. Mail-in Rebate
« on: July 03, 2003, 01:19:10 pm »

How it works ?

You pay the full price and you get money back?

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Farm Animal Stupid
Re: Mfr. Mail-in Rebate
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2003, 01:28:31 pm »

Yes. Generally you send in the rebate certificate along with your sales receipt (sometimes a photocopy of it is good enough) and the UPC code off the product's box.

Wait 6-8 weeks, and you get a check in the mail.

zevele10

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2003, 01:41:20 pm »

Why such a thing?

Because the brand ,Maxtor or Dell does this rebate and not the shop /seller ?

I ask ,cause we do not have it here , and not in Europe as well

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2003, 01:46:09 pm »

How it works ?

You pay the full price and you get money back?

well really the way it is

you pay your money full price, and you wait and wait and rarely ever get your rebate.

we waited 6 months for one and my wife called and the lady said "that just went out today, sorry for the wait"
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

jakobluck

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2003, 01:55:33 pm »

YMMV. I've never had a problem with any of the rebates I've applied for (for everything from hard drives to blank DVD-Rs)

nameless

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2003, 02:31:57 pm »

Ugh--REBATES.  How I hate them.  And coupons, too.  I always wish they'd just LOWER THE PRICE and make my life easier.

Charlemagne 8

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2003, 02:53:49 pm »

I buy things because of the rebate (sometimes) but hardly ever get around to mailing it in. People like me are the reason they don't just lower the price.
CVIII
That's right.
I'm cool.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2003, 02:55:21 pm »

Well, that's just it. If they lowered the price, then they're guranteed that every item they sell at that price is at that price. With the rebate, there's always the chance you won't send it in, and so you'll pay full price, yet they get the benefit of advertising at the lower price.

And yes, zevele, the manufacturer is offering the rebate and not the store. Why they do it this way, I'm not sure, but it's probably because the store has already purchased the item from the manufacturer, and to then sell it to you for less would cost them money that they'd have to get back from the manufacturer anyway. So the manufacturer offers the rebate instead.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2003, 03:03:12 pm »

probably because the store has already purchased the item from the manufacturer

well in some stores like food stores or where my wife works the store does not really buy all the items. they just provide the space for the guy to sell his toys or bread.
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2003, 03:06:18 pm »

True. That may even be more of a reason for a manufacturer's rebate... since in effect, you're kind of buying direct from the manufacturer anyway. The store just makes a little from the transaction for providing space for the prodcut. You'll typically find that kind of arrangement with products that expire quickly, like food, software, etc.

nameless

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2003, 03:12:28 pm »

Well, that's just it. If they lowered the price, then they're guranteed that every item they sell at that price is at that price. With the rebate, there's always the chance you won't send it in, and so you'll pay full price, yet they get the benefit of advertising at the lower price.

And that makes the situating less aggravating to me...  how?  It still drives me nuts.  I know how and why it works, of course, it's just that I think it shouldn't be that way...

Oh no, there I go being quixotic again!   :-X

sraymond

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2003, 04:17:19 pm »

There are plenty of "store" rebates out there.  Circuit City and Staples come to mind.

You've got to LOVE rebates...  I smile at everyone who tells me how they found a great deal on CD-R:  50 for $10.  Don't they know you can get them for FREE at Staples at least a couple of times each month?  They're normally $20, the manufacturer offers a $10 rebate and Staples offers another $10.  Well, I guess they're not free - you still need two $0.37 stamps to mail in the rebates!

So all those that never mail in thier rebate are actually subsidizing my purchase.  Very "democrat"-like.  But I'm not complaining!

Scott-

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2003, 08:44:27 pm »

Rebate is a bait,
to lure people into buying something
they would otherwise not have bought at any rate.
For people who care about it,
it often comes, if ever, very late.
For people with a deep pocket,
or who are too forgetful,
it is nothing worth the wait.
Oh, it could get lost in the mail,
you can then do nothing but accept your fate.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

sraymond

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2003, 05:14:06 am »

Great poem!

But:
Oh, it could get lost in the mail,
you can then do nothing but accept your fate.

Having sent in about twenty rebates in the last few years, I've had two that didn't get back to me.  When I called the "rebate center", one had gotten lost in the mail going and one lost in the mail coming.  Both were redone via telephone and then arrived within a few weeks.

Rebates aren't that bad...

Scott-

TimB

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2003, 05:32:09 am »

Why rebates?  Because lots of people buy products thinking and saying they'll get them and never send in for them.

Key with rebates is giving them EVERYTHING EXACTLY THE WAY THEY ASK FOR IT.  If they say photocopies, give them photocopies, if they want originals do that.

I've had good luck with rebates.  (Just received $50 from Western Digital.)

-=Tim=-
Boy do I LOVE Media Center!!!

zevele10

« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2003, 07:38:55 am »

I get the picture

If  manufacturers play fair with it , it looks to me as an ok way of bargain.

Not sure that ,in country like France it will work.

Here ,if one day they do the rebate thing ,people would ask for the rebate BEFORE they buy.....

But i heard there is a lot of jews where i live.........

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2003, 09:35:29 am »

Great poem!

Thanks. This is the first ever "poem" I have written in English.

But:

Rebates aren't that bad...

I agree. It was written for fun only. I have not had really bad experience with rebates other than delays.

This just reminded me, I should send in that TurboTax electrical filing fee rebate, if it is not already too late. You see, I had to finish filing in order to get a code for the rebate. When I finish filing my tax return, I just wanted to forget about the whole thing and never want to touch it again.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

LonWar

« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2003, 09:55:53 am »

I had to send my claim to Western Digital 3 times!! They ended up paying for it 11 months later... Boneheads there sent me 2 cheques...

I really hate rebates..
-

sraymond

« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2003, 10:00:52 am »

Huh?

zevele10

« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2003, 10:30:01 am »

Look like you do not know where i live ;
In Tel-Aviv.. and REALLY ,there is a lot of jews here ,.............including myself

sraymond

« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2003, 11:59:13 am »

Look like you do not know where i live ;
In Tel-Aviv.. and REALLY ,there is a lot of jews here ,.............including myself

I still don't see what that has to do with "rebates" and "jews"!

Am I missing something?

Scott-

zevele10

« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2003, 12:41:51 pm »

In my other post:

Here ,if one day they do the rebate thing ,people would ask for the rebate BEFORE they buy.....

Anyway ,was just a joke.

nameless

« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2003, 12:53:41 pm »

I get the picture

If  manufacturers play fair with it , it looks to me as an ok way of bargain.

Not sure that ,in country like France it will work.

Some people get censored for having the "wrong" avatar or sig, while others can post racial slurs and hear not a peep.

Count me among the confused.

Jim, where are you?  Oh Jiiiiiiiiiiiim?

ama_mmmc

• World Citizen
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2003, 02:04:49 pm »

Nameless,
Don't count me among the confused, count me among the truely OFFENDED.  

In the past Zevele has been excused for some comments with a comment that it is related to his less than perfect understanding of the English language.  Well, as much as I feel people should be able to make fun of themselves, I beleive this was a small step over the line.  Your audience must be known when making an off color joke, and as much as this forum feels like a family, there may be a lot of lurkers that would be offended by this type of joke.  (myself inlcuded).  

My guess is that either the slide in the topic of this post was not followed by the admin, or they did not feel it was out of line.   Also, I would guess that Zevele was not intending to offend anyone with this.

Maybe our comments will bring this to everyone's attention, that it may be on the edge, and this topic will either get back on topic, or the off color part will cease to be part of this.
Drew

Charlemagne 8

« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2003, 02:13:01 pm »

Talk about things getting blown WAY out of proportion. It was not offensive unless you were desperately WANTING to be offended .... or if you actually bought in to the VAGUE reference to a ridiculous stereotype.
Offense should only be taken if offense is intended and this miniscule nothing thing does not qualify.
CVIII
That's right.
I'm cool.

sraymond

« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2003, 02:33:14 pm »

CVIII,

It was not offensive unless you were desperately WANTING to be offended .... or if you actually bought in to the VAGUE reference to a ridiculous stereotype.

I'm not sure I follow this logic.  What is the "vague" reference?  If it's a "ridiculous" stereotype, is it any less offensive?

I certainly don't WANT to be offended.  But that really has nothing to do with an offensive stereotype.

Here's a true story:  My mother is Jewish.  That would make all her children Jewish by certain logic.  My brother was raised Jewish.  At work one day, he was joking with a non-Jewish colleague (that owed him some money).  My brother said, "Now don't try to Jew me out of it."  The result was five days of unpaid suspension for my brother.  The fact that he was Jewish was not mitigating.  And nor should it have been.

The moral of the story:  it's offensive, no matter who highlights a stereotype in a non-private venue.  Is it right for black (or colored, or African-American...) people to use the word "N*gger"?

I don't want to blow this out of proportion...  but I don't want Zev to think his comment was appropriate, either.  I certainly wouldn't hold a grudge against Zev for the joke.  But, please, let's call a spade a spade.

Scott-

ama_mmmc

• World Citizen
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2003, 02:42:00 pm »

Talk about things getting blown WAY out of proportion. It was not offensive unless you were desperately WANTING to be offended .... or if you actually bought in to the VAGUE reference to a ridiculous stereotype.
Offense should only be taken if offense is intended and this miniscule nothing thing does not qualify.
CVIII

My thoughs have been proven once again, that the power of the written word, can be confused very much from either the thoughts in my head, or the words that could come out of my mouth.  I can't change that, but I can try to further explain.

I don't believe that Nameless was blowing things way out of proportion, however that is my interpretation of what he wrote.  That leaves my comments.  My intention was not to blow this out of proportion as you seem to think.  I was simply trying to point out that this topic may be going in the wrong direction.  As for a vague reference to a rediculous stereotype, I would agree.  It is a rediculous stereotype, but my perception is that this was not a VAGUE reference.

Enough of the specifics, my point in this was that perception is what really matters.  If someone perceives a problem with what is a bad stereotype then maybe the topic shouldn't be continued.  I am not saying it should be closed, because as I said, I felt the comments to be on the edge.  I was mearly pointing out that someone could find a problem with the comments.

My appologies if I have wasted the time of others that did share my feelings.

Drew

Charlemagne 8

« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2003, 02:54:37 pm »

OK
That's right.
I'm cool.

zevele10

« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2003, 12:49:54 am »

Tempest in a glass of water...
But still sorry to be at the start of it.
Can look like on the edge for non jews and jews not in Israel.

But ,here ,we use this kind of joke very often.
Kind of gay calling himself Queer- and bam another tempest in a second glass of water...-

Anyway , we may calm down all of us.

Not the same culture and reactions.

To me if i call James Brown a N..- this is 100% wrong.

But ,if James Brown post saying he his a F..N.. , to me it is ok.

Here was a debate concerning  deaf-mute language.
They put they index , curve on they nose to 'say' a jew.

Stereotype ,yes it is.
But they need to use stereotypes in this kind of language. Do we have to take it as an offense ? I 'am really not sure. And would like to know what they can use instead.

I know that politically correct is the big thing in US.
And that James Brown is of african origine.
But ,since they found the corpse of Lucy , look like WE ARE ALL of african origine.....
SO......

Beside it ,it is really not the first time i do this kind of joke on interact.

Anyway ,if you want we can each of us delete our posts
And stay on the rebate thing for good.

Zevele [ who means trash ,junk in hebrew] on interact
madjewdisaster on some p2p

Yonatan if we have to be politicaly correct...

Good week-end /shabbath to all

Charlemagne 8

« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2003, 10:30:30 am »

Yonatan/Zevele,
You are a fine human being and I am honored to be counted among those that you call "friend".
CVIII
That's right.
I'm cool.

nameless

« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2003, 11:04:55 am »

Oh brother!   ::)

Charlemagne 8

« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2003, 12:13:12 pm »

Live with it, nameless .... if that is indeed your real name.

CVIII
That's right.
I'm cool.

nameless

« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2003, 02:39:33 pm »

I fail to see how the "live with it" reply fits in here, but okey dokey.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2003, 03:31:02 pm »

stop the race\jew, cuss words

Fayetteville, NC, USA
Pages: [1]   Go Up