INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to play WAV files (original) on MC22 for Mac?  (Read 2337 times)

paristhea

• Recent member
How to play WAV files (original) on MC22 for Mac?
« on: August 05, 2017, 02:21:26 am »

I recently upgraded to MC22 on my MAC (from MC21).  Most of my files are Flac and some are MP3.
I imported into the library a new album in WAV format and it doesn't play on DLNA.  It will play on my MAC (Player) but when streaming to my NAIM system i just get a buzzzzzzz sound.
I didn't have this issue on the MC21.

Something to do with settings at Add/Configure DLNA, i guess.  I don't fully understand the settings there i must admit. Ideally i do not want MC to change or process the signal, i like to to be streamed to my hifi, and to let the Naim DAC to do all the processing.  Therefore, on DLNA Servers setting, i chose audio mode as original, DSP Studio nothing selected, but it doesn't play the WAV files.

Someone help please.  Is there somewhere a good manual that explains all these things?

aoqw76

• Galactic Citizen
Re: How to play WAV files (original) on MC22 for Mac?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2017, 05:32:17 pm »

Try mode: specified audio format, and format: pcm 24 bit. That feeds my unitiqute 2 just fine.
xubuntu lts 14.04 32 bit, running mc22.0.36 as anything later doesn't work properly over vnc. using linux mc22 as media server to windows mc22 last version / jremote on ipad.
I am the owner / sole admin for www.cyrusunofficial.co.uk ("fan" site for Cyrus Audio hifi)

paristhea

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2017, 02:01:07 am »

Thanks, i can do this. 
The question is if MC22 is processing the signal, which i think in PCM24 bit setting is converting it from WAV to PCM24 bit, is this correct?

The online help is unfortunately out of date, as it relates to MC17.  Furthermore, there is no proper explanation of the settings in this field.

How to communicate with the administrator, any ideas?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2017, 06:37:20 am »

This is support.  The wiki may mention MC17 but that doesn't make it out of date.  What applies to MC17 should apply to MC23.

Your WAV file may be non-standard and not supported by DLNA.  You could try connecting directly to the DAC to see what happens.

blgentry

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2017, 08:16:06 am »

The question is if MC22 is processing the signal, which i think in PCM24 bit setting is converting it from WAV to PCM24 bit, is this correct?

WAV is a lossless container for PCM data. PCM24 is 24 bit PCM.  WAVs are usually 16 bit PCM.  MC is probably just adding 8 zeros to each sample in order to make them "24 bit".  There should be no manipulation of the audio data, other than zero padding it.  Maybe someone else knows more details.

Brian.

aoqw76

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2017, 11:16:17 am »

What naim kit do you have?
Take a look at this thread on the naim forum
http://forums.naimaudio.com/topic/flac-vs-wav-audio-quality
Ther are 3 camps; those who rip as flac and let the streamer (nds) do the transcoding. Thise who rip as wav and so zero transcoding. Those who rip as flac and set the server to deliver as wav. (The latter includes me).
I read somewhere that naim recommend 24 bit wav, and setting the server to transcode to 24 bit. Most cd rips i would assume are only 16 bit anyway, 24 bit files are going to have to be hires purchases. I cant really hear any difference between transcoding on the server vs transcoding on the streamer, so i just set jrmc to deliver 24 bit pcm and leave it at that.
Regards Robert
xubuntu lts 14.04 32 bit, running mc22.0.36 as anything later doesn't work properly over vnc. using linux mc22 as media server to windows mc22 last version / jremote on ipad.
I am the owner / sole admin for www.cyrusunofficial.co.uk ("fan" site for Cyrus Audio hifi)

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2017, 12:02:47 pm »

WAV is a lossless container for PCM data. PCM24 is 24 bit PCM.  WAVs are usually 16 bit PCM.  MC is probably just adding 8 zeros to each sample in order to make them "24 bit".  There should be no manipulation of the audio data, other than zero padding it.  Maybe someone else knows more details.

Brian.
That's correct.
There is no "conversion" from WAV to PCM24 either LPCM or WAV 24 bit format.

paristhea

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2017, 02:15:10 am »

I understand FLAC, and WAV and MP3 formats.  But what is PCM24, in comparison to FLAC?  And why WAV is a 16bit PCM?

In answer to aoqw76 my equipment is NAIM NAC-N272 preamplifier/DAC/Streamer with NAP-250DR power amplifier and ProAC D20R speakers.

I don't fully understand the 3 camps you mention, but in simple terms i would like the MC22 to just send the digital signal to the N272 preamplifier and to let the internal DAC to do the work. 
I checked on google about PCM, ok it is a method of making an analogue signal in digital format, but is this different to FLAC?  And what does transcode mean then?  Convert from one code say PCM to another say FLAC or MP3?

Finally, how does MC22 work then, does it have the option of sending a signal to a DAC unaltered, or transcoded?  When MC22 plays on my laptop directly, is it using my computer's DAC, or is the MC22 software performing a DAC process as well?  I assume this is not possible, right?

All very confusing, but important to understand, if this is possible.

aoqw76

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2017, 07:38:54 am »

You can also have 24 bit wav. Naim's own recommendation is to let the server transcode to pcm 24 bit. There isnt any "dac" activity happening on your server, it is just wrapping the digital file into another digital wrapper. E.g. Flac is effectively the music file compressed without losing anything, same for aiff or alac. So by setting to deliver pcm 24 bit data via dlna to your n272, the pc/server will "unwrap" the flac file on the hard drive into a 24 bit format and that is what the n272 will receive. So cd quality files or hires 24/96 material wont lose anything and the dac will do its own digital>analogue conversion.
I dont think you need to understand the exact whys and wherefores of what wav and pcm and flac actually mean.
Pages: [1]   Go Up