INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Id Pi Fully Baked -- Now available for $99  (Read 17945 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • where the buffalo roam
Id Pi Fully Baked -- Now available for $99
« on: August 22, 2017, 06:18:34 pm »

This is our lowest priced, easiest to use version of the Id.  We do the hard part for you, assembling the Raspberry Pi 3 model B in a case and adding the IdPi software on a microSD card.  Take a look at the $99 IdPi Fully Baked on the Id page here:

https://jriver.com/Id/

It's a full blown DLNA Renderer, with all the audio capabilities of MC.  Connect it to the network and connect one of the audio outputs to a receiver.

When you receive it, just plug it in and let it boot.  In a few minutes, you'll be able to find it from MC.  It will show up under Playing Now.  Click on it and then play to it from MC22 or above.

You can connect a USB drive to the Id, or you can move files to the Id by using the network.   
 Moving Files to the Id

Although both the computer and the price are small, this is not a second class solution.  I've used it for almost six months at home as my sole renderer.  I also use it for Z-Wave control of my home lighting.  This is a very good computer at a very good price.

Here's a Pi in one of the cases we use:

astromo

• MC Beta Team
Re: Id Pi Fully Baked -- Now available for $99
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2017, 07:05:26 pm »

Nicely done.

Before people get carried away, you might want to clarify whether the case is included. I'd assume not as that's an area where personal preference can run wild, especially when HiFi add ons for on board RPi DACs or digital I/O to mount to the GPIO header are out there and that also will attract interest from MC users.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2017, 07:53:20 pm »

The case is included.  I'll change the description.  Thanks.

This isn't meant for people who want a Pi to customize.  In that case, just install the Linux version of MC for Pi:
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,111505.0.html

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2017, 03:23:55 am »

Question regarding the power supply - what plug standard(s) and allowable input voltage does the fully baked unit work to?

Internationally functional or US only?
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

Bullitt5094

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2017, 10:18:55 pm »

I have a relatively high-end system. I am serving a DAC in the $2000 range and pre-amp/power amp and speakers a lot more expensive than that. Will this be "sound quality challenged" feeding an audiophile level system? Or should I stick with my current HTPC server directly connected to the DAC? It would be nice to get that large PC out of my equipment rack.

tasar

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2017, 09:49:06 am »

Will it work thru the internal Apple Airport that Apple devices share ? This is what I like about JRemore. The app recognizes an airport address though it needs to be renewed each and every session. I wish Apple had a way to save the Airport address when shutting down, to my knowledge this has not been addressed. Basically there's no ehternet, no hardware, no router involved, only the Airport broadcast between devices.

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2017, 09:51:25 am »

The Id doesn't work with Airport.

kolia

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2017, 12:43:06 am »

I have a relatively high-end system. I am serving a DAC in the $2000 range and pre-amp/power amp and speakers a lot more expensive than that. Will this be "sound quality challenged" feeding an audiophile level system? Or should I stick with my current HTPC server directly connected to the DAC? It would be nice to get that large PC out of my equipment rack.
I have the same concern. I want to get rid of my HTPC https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/26284-new-plex-h5-gen-2-server-htpc/?tab=comments#comment-489457, replace it by a RPI 3 as far as audio is concerned powered by a linear power supply. RPI 3 will fitted with HIFI Berry Digi + Pro. I have all the gear it is just a matter of spending the time to set it up.

ogenec

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2017, 03:19:52 pm »

Hi Jim H, I am just writing to say a huge thank you for this. I had been using an Id Classic in my study strictly as an audio renderer, with great satisfaction. So much so that I was *this* close to buying a few others and distributing them around the house for multi-room audio and video. Only thing that stopped me was the cost. At nearly $300 each, that would have been quite an expensive proposition.

The fully baked Id Pi solved my problem. Called Deanna on Wednesday to place the order, had it in my hands on Friday. Spent a few hours getting everything set up (initially it was only playing through the onboard DAC rather than my outboard Geek Pulse DAC, and then I had to fix a problem where audio was only streaming at 320 kbps) and then - pure magic!! To the poster who asked about synergy with high-quality DACs, you don't need to worry. I used the Pi with both the Geek Pulse and my VI DAC, and my FLAC and DSD files sound wonderful streaming from the server on my laptop computer. The Id Classic has been repurposed to my media room as an HTPC.

I am gobsmacked at the price/performance ratio of this little $99 device. Again, thank you very much for doing this. And, also, for the 64-bit version.

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2017, 06:32:46 pm »

That's very nice to hear.  Thanks for taking the trouble to post your success.

stanzani

• Galactic Citizen
  • Music and Audio enthusiast
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2017, 05:33:33 am »

Great product at a cheap price overall

I understand it can drive an USB DAC but not video - there is an HDMI port, though - given to restriction in processing power and memory. Right?

Thanks much
Stereo:
DAW: Fanless Case Streatcon 7 with MSI A97I mobo, 2 x 8G RAM (Hynix) with Intel I5 CPU.
NAS: QNAP TS-531 with 5x4TB HDDs
DAC/ADC: RME ADI2 PRO
Speakers (active): 2 x ATC SCM50ASL
Subs (active): 2 x REL 528 Signature

rwortman

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2017, 12:37:43 am »

Got mine up and running with a Schiit Audio DAC.   Rendering just fine.  I listened for a couple of hours.  I can't get it to recognize a networked USB drive that is plugged into my Linksys router.  I was thinking about trying it as a server but I can't get it to see the drive.  When I try adding a network drive, I just get a "failure" message.  Win10 PC sees the drive OK.  Not a Linux guy so I don't have many tricks.   It's OK, I mostly wanted it as a player but it would be cool if I could play my music when my PC was off.

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2017, 07:16:13 am »

Welcome to the forum.  That should work.  There are some instructions here:

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Id_Install_Guide

rwortman

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2017, 12:27:08 pm »

I read all the instructions and I have tried every combination of pathnames and authentication I can think of.  Normally security on the share drive is off.  I even turned it on and set up a special username pw combination for the ID.  Still a no go.  I am thinking something in the ID is incompatible with something in the router (Linksys WRT 1200AC) that the drive is plugged into.

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2017, 02:32:07 pm »

Can you give us a list of the exact steps you have taken?

rwortman

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2017, 05:02:54 pm »

I think I have it working.  It wanted the router IP or name and the system volume name and the folder in the path.  I tried this before but the system volume name as received from Seagate was "Seagate Backup Plus Drive".  The Id didn't like the spaces.  I remembered something about Linux internet servers and filenames and I renamed the volume with a shorter name minus the spaces and it is now importing the library.   It would be so much easier if the error returned something a bit more informative than "failure".  I am a Linux neophyte, are the error messages in this OS usually that inscrutable?

rwortman

• Recent member
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2017, 08:30:17 pm »

I would give it a try.  I am sure you can send it back if you don't like it.  I am running mine into a fairly high end system and it is sounding great.  If the DAC uses asynchronous USB transfer (most do) then, unless there is noise getting in from the usb interface, it shouldn't present any SQ issues.

GaryB

• World Citizen
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2017, 08:13:49 pm »

Received my new PId this evening (Thank you Deanna), have had to order a new PSU as no matter how hard I push, I can’t get that American connector into a UK socket!
Managed to power the device up using an IPad  Psu with video output to the TV.

Couple of things,
1) struggling to read output from main menu as it is off the LH side of screen.
2) JRemote won’t connect to it in IP mode ? Can’t use access key as there appears to be none there?
3) Can’t VNC into it. Have confirmed it has an IP address on my LAN.

Any help would be welcome.

rwortman

• Recent member
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2017, 01:58:12 am »

The above post is a while ago so I assume the poster got it working.   GUI mode    On the JRiver screen:  Tools/options/media network   At the top of the page you will find your access key.    I have no problem remote connecting to mine using the built in RDP tool in Win 10.  What are you using?   I have that leftmost character drop off too.  I just work around it.  I can tell what the options are by what is there.

Weyeswon

• Recent member
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2017, 06:43:30 pm »

I'm just finding out about this nifty little device. I had been looking at the Sonore uRendu waiting for used ones to hit the market but this should do just fine. One question that I think I know the answer to: "is it capable of redirecting the video out the DSI interface for setup rather than the HDMI? I'd like to forego borrowing everything I gave away when I moved and thought using the Raspberry touchscreen hooked up permanently would be rather cool. (As a side note, the Id Pi would be driving a Wyred 4 Sound DAC2-DSD Se, into a Simaudio Moon Power Amp rendering hires FLAC/DSD files from a Synology DS-212j NAS.) Please speak now if any known problems exist with using this configuration with the Id Pi! Thanks!

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2017, 06:52:18 pm »

Welcome to the forum.

The IdPi will work fine for audio.  You might need to convert some DSD formats.

Video might work for lower resolution formats, but it isn't well tested.

DSI?  I don't know.  Sorry.  I've looked at touchscreens but we don't have one yet.

duncan4791

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2017, 08:59:16 am »

I've used the IdPi software with the Official Pi Touchscreen with out a problem. The touch works, but the text of the standard UI is way to small for a finger to reliably select or scroll anything. The Pi doesn't work very well in Theater View, it is way to slow. The biggest problem is the lack of an onscreen keyboard and the inability to add additional software to the IdPi.

Best wishes this season, Duncan.

RickH86

« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2017, 01:36:45 pm »

I'm new to the Raspberry Pi concept for a music player.
Is there any reason I can't connect a USB drive with my FLAC files on it, and use the HDMI output to my receiver?

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2017, 02:25:45 pm »

Welcome to the forum.  That should work.

raduschka

• Recent member
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2017, 07:34:48 pm »

HI, I,m sorry if i'm posting this in the wrong place. I have an audiophilleo 2 usb to spdif converter and would like to know if it will work with the fully baked IdPi I have ordered. The Audiophilleo website specifies that their product will work with Linux.
Thank you in advance

Raduschka C B

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2017, 11:27:53 pm »

If it works with Linux, it should work with the Id. 

Bullitt5094

• Recent member
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2017, 10:47:12 pm »

If I purchase an Id what is the return policy? I'm considering the Id 202. I am somewhat skeptical there won't be a problem with sound quality with my system. And if there is, I would like to know if I may return it. Just FYI... I will be using this for an input to a Lyngdorf 2170 integrated amplifier which has an internal USB DAC. This will be feeding a pair of Tekton Ulfberht speakers. So just the amp/speakers are $17k. Certainly not off the charts in the Audiophile world, but they are certainly good enough to expose any deficits in upstream processing. I am currently using JRiver on a rack mounted Windows HTPC/Music Server. I have an 8TB NAS. All files are lossless FLAC ripped using dbpoweramp. The only reason I'm considering this is to get something smaller to run JRiver which will allow me to eliminate the PC from the rack to get more rack space.

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2017, 12:16:21 am »

It's returnable for a full refund for 30 days.

Bullitt5094

• Recent member
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2017, 07:50:45 am »

Awesome! I'm going to give it a try.
I would like a larger SSD in it so I'm going to order the base unit and buy a 500GB ssd for it.

BradATIMA

« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2017, 08:57:02 am »

Awesome! I'm going to give it a try.
I would like a larger SSD in it so I'm going to order the base unit and buy a 500GB ssd for it.

Were you planning to connect the 500GB SSD via USB? The Id firmware is installed on the drive it comes with, and the NUCs have only a single drive bay.

Bullitt5094

• Recent member
« Reply #30 on: December 24, 2017, 03:33:03 pm »

I actually placed the order for the 201. It has the larger case and the 1tb drive will be large enough for my FLAC files. If I see a need, I'll swap the spinning hd for SS one in the future. I'm really hoping there isn't any sound or functionality degradation from my current Windows/AMD HTPC. I would really enjoy the smaller footprint.

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2017, 10:42:07 pm »

bass2rez

« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2018, 07:15:09 am »

Hello,

I'm interested in the JRiver Id Pi device, but I am new to this sort of technology, so I have a few questions, if I may.

1. Can this be used with audio files stored on the MicroSD card alongside the O/S and these music files can be played via the Android app (Gizmo?) with no additional equipment other than amp/speakers?

2. Do you have to have a separate Windows PC running JRiver Media Server that holds your audio files that works in conjunction with the Id Pi?

3. Can you use a regular Windows laptop with JRiver Media Server and JRiver Media Player installed simultaneously, and use that single laptop with the Id Pi with no intermediate separate Media Server?

Many thanks in advance.

Kind Regards,
Steve

SilverLitz

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2018, 07:06:29 am »

I am looking for a solution to play music that is stored on my Thecus N2810Pro NAS through my Integra DTR-70.3 AVR.  I have am using JRMC23 for several Win10 PCs accessing this NAS with no problem, other than my wi-fi Win10 tablet not seeing the NAS files.  I have ethernet wired to the AVR location.

My AVR does NOT have  a USB version B (square) input; its only inputs are HDMI and S/PDIF (coax and optical).  Will the Id Pi's HDMI output get the digital audio stream to my AVR?

Can I control the Id Pi from the Win10 Tablet via wi-fi (using the tablet as the Id Pi's monitor and keyboard/mouse) to accesses NAS files that the tablet cannot see? 

The tablet's wi-fi is connected through a 2nd wi-fi router whose input is coming from the gigabit switch which the AVR and Id Pi would be connected.  A PC connected through this switch sees the NAS files, but if the PC is connected from the ethernet from the wi-fi router, it does not see the NAS files.

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2018, 12:06:20 pm »

I am looking for a solution to play music that is stored on my Thecus N2810Pro NAS through my Integra DTR-70.3 AVR.  I have am using JRMC23 for several Win10 PCs accessing this NAS with no problem, other than my wi-fi Win10 tablet not seeing the NAS files.  I have ethernet wired to the AVR location.

My AVR does NOT have  a USB version B (square) input; its only inputs are HDMI and S/PDIF (coax and optical).  Will the Id Pi's HDMI output get the digital audio stream to my AVR?
Yes it will.
Can I control the Id Pi from the Win10 Tablet via wi-fi (using the tablet as the Id Pi's monitor and keyboard/mouse) ...
Yes.  Please read the Remotes topic on our wiki.  Panel would work.
The tablet's wi-fi is connected through a 2nd wi-fi router whose input is coming from the gigabit switch which the AVR and Id Pi would be connected.  A PC connected through this switch sees the NAS files, but if the PC is connected from the ethernet from the wi-fi router, it does not see the NAS files.
I don't know.  Sorry.

BradATIMA

« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2018, 01:11:22 pm »

1. Can this be used with audio files stored on the MicroSD card alongside the O/S and these music files can be played via the Android app (Gizmo?) with no additional equipment other than amp/speakers?

Yes. However, if you have the library and files on the IdPi, there could be some lag in the beginning if it's running tasks like creating thumbnails and analyzing files because of the hardware of the Pi.

2. Do you have to have a separate Windows PC running JRiver Media Server that holds your audio files that works in conjunction with the Id Pi?

No, you don't need to.

3. Can you use a regular Windows laptop with JRiver Media Server and JRiver Media Player installed simultaneously, and use that single laptop with the Id Pi with no intermediate separate Media Server?

Yes, this should work just fine.

SilverLitz

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2018, 01:54:54 pm »

Does the Id Pi has enough HP to do PEQ?

I have checked my Audyssey XT32 results with Room EQ Wizard and a calibrated mic and the results have MUCH more peaks/valleys than my other PC/MC23 results using PEQ.

Indyscammer

• Recent member
« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2018, 05:12:32 pm »

I just received and set up 2!  Question:  will the idPi support a Hifi berry Digi+ in order to get a different output connection?

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2018, 05:28:07 pm »

Maybe.  Please ask them.  They have MC.  They may be able to test.

I use the HiFiBerry Amp2 with an Id and it works fine.  I've written about it here:
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,113185.msg782505.html#msg782505
Pages: [1]   Go Up