INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Import problem  (Read 4841 times)

InsaneRC

• Junior Woodchuck
Import problem
« on: August 24, 2017, 04:00:33 pm »

For some reason since update 36 and now 41 my 'Server' (A window 10 machine) will not update any media. (All connected not a nas) But rollback to 30 and all new media is pick up.
Licensed User:
JRiver Media Center 12-->27

IAM4UK

• World Citizen
Re: Import problem
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2017, 10:28:59 pm »

Library Import does not work.
Neither does Library Auto-Import.
Neither does playing a file cause it to be imported into the Library.

luvmich

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2017, 10:49:35 pm »

For some reason since update 36 and now 41 my 'Server' (A window 10 machine) will not update any media. (All connected not a nas) But rollback to 30 and all new media is pick up.
Same Problem with me.  A re-install then a restore library and setting didn't help.  I built a whole new computer with fresh install of windows 10 and jriver, still no library update :-X

BradATIMA

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2017, 11:16:33 am »

Same Problem with me.  A re-install then a restore library and setting didn't help.  I built a whole new computer with fresh install of windows 10 and jriver, still no library update :-X

Could you provide more detail about this problem? I'm not exactly sure what it is you're trying to do.

RD James

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2017, 11:46:04 am »

I've not had this happen recently (41 is working fine for me) but if the issue is that auto-import is failing to detect changes, I find that the easiest solution to fixing it is to:
1. Close Media Center
2. Rename the existing folder; e.g. "Music" becomes "Music_OLD"
3. Create a new folder with the original name: "Music"
4. Move all files from "Music_OLD" into the new "Music" folder.

After that, it usually starts working again.
I guess it must be a permissions issue, but there was never anything obviously wrong when it happened.
If you built a new machine and used your old storage drive in it, that could very well be the cause of the permissions issue for example.

RobertBarton

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2017, 01:40:56 pm »

I also have the issue of being unable to import new music (MP3 and FLAC files) using 23.0.36.  I haven't tried 23.0.41 since I'm set to the "Stable" channel and 23.0.36 is what is currently offered there. 
I'm using Windows 7 64 bit that is up to date with Microsoft patches.

Normally it would have auto-imported the new music shortly after MC was started, but it didn't.  So I used Tools->Import->Import from a single folder,  pointed at my Music directory to tell it to import and it seems to simply not find any new music to import, no actual error message per say.

I tried uninstalling 23.0.36 and reinstalling the version I had prior 23.0.22, and it does import the new music just fine.  But if I allow it to update to 23.0.36 again, it will again fail to import additional new music.
Additionally under 23.0.22 it says I have a .mp3 file that was previously determined to be bad, but under 23.0.36 it does not mention that file. (I believe the file really is bad so I think .36 just isn't really scanning for new files like it says/thinks it is).

I also still have 22.0.108 installed and it it too correctly imports new music mentioning the bad file, while 23.0.36 does not import anything.  the difference in the file count between the two versions 22 and 23 is exactly 10 files (the amount of new music I added to the Music directory to be imported)

The fact that the earlier build 23.0.22 does work, but up re-updating to 23.0.36 doesn't, I think rules out any issue of permission change on the Music directory being the cause of the issue or any other changes to the operating system causing the issue since no other changes were made between the tests.

Since others have reported this issue with 23.0.41 also, I don't think I feel any need to attempt trying that release.

BradATIMA

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2017, 04:10:20 pm »

I also have the issue of being unable to import new music (MP3 and FLAC files) using 23.0.36.  I haven't tried 23.0.41 since I'm set to the "Stable" channel and 23.0.36 is what is currently offered there. 
I'm using Windows 7 64 bit that is up to date with Microsoft patches.

Normally it would have auto-imported the new music shortly after MC was started, but it didn't.  So I used Tools->Import->Import from a single folder,  pointed at my Music directory to tell it to import and it seems to simply not find any new music to import, no actual error message per say.

I tried uninstalling 23.0.36 and reinstalling the version I had prior 23.0.22, and it does import the new music just fine.  But if I allow it to update to 23.0.36 again, it will again fail to import additional new music.
Additionally under 23.0.22 it says I have a .mp3 file that was previously determined to be bad, but under 23.0.36 it does not mention that file. (I believe the file really is bad so I think .36 just isn't really scanning for new files like it says/thinks it is).

I also still have 22.0.108 installed and it it too correctly imports new music mentioning the bad file, while 23.0.36 does not import anything.  the difference in the file count between the two versions 22 and 23 is exactly 10 files (the amount of new music I added to the Music directory to be imported)

The fact that the earlier build 23.0.22 does work, but up re-updating to 23.0.36 doesn't, I think rules out any issue of permission change on the Music directory being the cause of the issue or any other changes to the operating system causing the issue since no other changes were made between the tests.

Since others have reported this issue with 23.0.41 also, I don't think I feel any need to attempt trying that release.

Can you enable logging, try and import from a folder in Media Center 23.0.36 or 23.0.41, and then post the log here?

RobertBarton

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2017, 06:51:21 pm »

Can you enable logging, try and import from a folder in Media Center 23.0.36 or 23.0.41, and then post the log here?
OK I have attached two zip logs from 23.0.36,  one (MC23.0.36 Startup-Autoimport Log.txt.zip) is the startup and should also contain the Auto-import (hopefully).

For the other I started MC and waited for things to quiet down (finish initial startup/autoimport), then I turned the log on and right away did a manual import using the menu selection as I previously did above ,  Tools->Import->Import from a single folder.

As soon as I got the results displayed I stopped the log.  That is called "MC 23.0.36 Manual Import Log.txt.zip"

Please see two attached files.

luvmich

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2017, 08:31:53 pm »

Could you provide more detail about this problem? I'm not exactly sure what it is you're trying to do.

Music resides on a w2k8 srv.  When I add new music to the w2k8 share music shows up minutes later on my win10 JRiver MC server.  Once I updated to 23.0.36 nothing I add to my w2k8 share shows up on my win10 JRiver MC server.  If I back up to 23.0.22 importing works again. 

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2017, 06:07:23 am »

If you're having trouble with the import, can you check what your Conversion Cache folder is set to in the options File Location -> Conversion Cache? Did you change them from the defaults?
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2017, 06:45:24 am »

Music resides on a w2k8 srv.  When I add new music to the w2k8 share music shows up minutes later on my win10 JRiver MC server.  Once I updated to 23.0.36 nothing I add to my w2k8 share shows up on my win10 JRiver MC server.  If I back up to 23.0.22 importing works again. 
We don't support MC on Windows Server.

Troutface104

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2017, 07:32:43 am »

I am having problems importing my audio library. I have hundreds of hours coping over 2,000 cds to Aiff format then to my hard drive. This is a dedicated audio only computer running windows 8.1. When I try to import to JRiver it adds music I don't own and also makes files in MP3, MP4, Wav. Not sure what is going and where these other files are coming from. I have tried auto import, single import, drag and drop, all with the same results. Very frustrating.

~OHM~

• "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2017, 08:17:05 am »

I always install the most recent build of MC (currently 41) I have not had the import issues that are posted here...all is working fine on my W7 machines with current patches....just saying!
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2017, 08:26:25 am »

I am having problems importing my audio library. I have hundreds of hours coping over 2,000 cds to Aiff format then to my hard drive. This is a dedicated audio only computer running windows 8.1. When I try to import to JRiver it adds music I don't own and also makes files in MP3, MP4, Wav. Not sure what is going and where these other files are coming from.
Double check your auto import settings.  Edit folders to check the file types.

Troutface104

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2017, 08:49:16 am »

Double check your auto import settings.  Edit folders to check the file types.

I only have Flac and Aiff boxes checked on importing. I thought I was onto something last night when I started the drag and drop. But this morning I had the same issue. I noticed that the music that has been added are WAV, MP3, and MP4's.

Troutface104

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2017, 10:22:43 am »

could this be a "Tag" issue?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2017, 10:26:09 am »

In MC, hover your mouse over a track to see where the file is located. 

Or right click on one and choose Locate.

BradATIMA

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2017, 12:35:37 pm »

OK I have attached two zip logs from 23.0.36,  one (MC23.0.36 Startup-Autoimport Log.txt.zip) is the startup and should also contain the Auto-import (hopefully).

For the other I started MC and waited for things to quiet down (finish initial startup/autoimport), then I turned the log on and right away did a manual import using the menu selection as I previously did above ,  Tools->Import->Import from a single folder.

As soon as I got the results displayed I stopped the log.  That is called "MC 23.0.36 Manual Import Log.txt.zip"

Please see two attached files.

For the most part, the logs look normal. Like you said, there was no mention of a bad file. You could try deleting the cache directory in your library and see if that helps. First, stop Media Center, then, delete the Cache folder in "C:\Users\<Username>\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 23\Library".

However, first check what Hendrik mentioned. What do you have set for your audio conversion cache folder (Tools -> Options -> File Location)? If you have "Next to file" selected, or are using the same folder you import from, this is probably what is breaking importing.

RobertBarton

« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2017, 06:54:26 pm »

For the most part, the logs look normal. Like you said, there was no mention of a bad file. You could try deleting the cache directory in your library and see if that helps. First, stop Media Center, then, delete the Cache folder in "C:\Users\<Username>\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 23\Library".

However, first check what Hendrik mentioned. What do you have set for your audio conversion cache folder (Tools -> Options -> File Location)? If you have "Next to file" selected, or are using the same folder you import from, this is probably what is breaking importing.

The Conversion cache folder is set to "None" on 23.0.36 and on 22.0.108 (which does import) and has been for a long while.  Deleting the cache folder you suggested did not allow 23.0.36 to import, no change in behavior. 

I did a log file for 22.0.108 for the manual import (like I sent yesterday for v23).  I don't know if maybe it is foolish to try to compare the two being so far different in version, but in the log for 22.0.108 I see a line that says "Import: UpdateFiles: Start" that I don't see in the log for 23.0.36 at all, and it also mentions the bad MP3 file in the log which isn't mentioned in the log for 23.0.36.
In 22.0.108 Import: ProcessFinish takes 827 ms vs. 15 ms for 23.0.36.

Do you want me to try going back to 23.0.22 and create a log file for a manual import?
If you have anything else you want me to try let me know.

Troutface104

• Recent member
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2017, 07:20:02 am »

In MC, hover your mouse over a track to see where the file is located. 

Or right click on one and choose Locate.

When I hover over the one that I copied it shows correct location and file type. When I hover over the other 3 copies in the same album it shows the same location of my music but it shows them as a second computer that I have music on with different file formats. It calls it "file history, other pc's name, other pc's file location "c drive"

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2017, 07:21:52 am »

Check your auto import settings.  You may have another computer's drive mounted on yours.

zzdpmjpr

• Recent member
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2017, 10:27:43 am »

I moved to MC23 3 weeks ago from 21.

Today I tried to import for the first time a single folder containing a few wma files. Nothing. MC played the files ok.

I tried the import in MC21. Fine - worked entirely as normal. As it is years since I have used wma I converted them to flac in MC21. MC23 still doesn't see them at all.

I have tried the conversion cache next to file and none - no difference.

I have made zero changes to MC23 options and have obviously checked the import parameters. Happy to send you something if it would help

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2017, 11:46:15 am »

Try setting up auto import.  Edit folders to specify file types to import.

zzdpmjpr

• Recent member
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2017, 02:29:06 am »

I had checked auto import before. Have done so again. As far as I can see the configs in 21 and 23 are exactly the same. All audio types are selected.

Auto import runs in 23 for 2 secs and does not find the new folders/files. MC21 does.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2017, 02:37:09 am »

The issue is caused by conversion cache set to none apparently. We'll have a fix in the next build.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2017, 01:33:32 pm »

Please test the build that just went up.  Hopefully this will be solved.

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

RobertBarton

« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2017, 07:44:23 pm »

Please test the build that just went up.  Hopefully this will be solved.

Thanks.

That seems to have fixed it for me.  After updating to 23.0.48, upon starting it began to auto-import the music it was not importing before.  And a manual import now correctly identifies the one bad MP3 file I knew I had.

I have been a happy user of JRiver Media Center since v17 and after all these years and versions/updates, this was the first time I ever had any problem with it.  There isn't many products I can say that about.

Thanks much for addressing this issue.

Robert Barton
Pages: [1]   Go Up