INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sorting button  (Read 3618 times)

yannis

• World Citizen
Sorting button
« on: September 04, 2017, 12:08:26 pm »

Would you consider adding a readily available sorting button cycling like in Win Explorer? I hate the lag when digging into the submenus.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Sorting button
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2017, 12:15:11 pm »

Would you consider adding a readily available sorting button cycling like in Win Explorer? I hate the lag when digging into the submenus.
Please explain.  Shuffle?

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2017, 01:33:02 pm »

Jim, yannis wants this. It's already there...

yannis

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2017, 03:26:27 am »

Jim, yannis wants this. It's already there...

Spot on! Thank you, Marco, I'd never noticed it.

EDIT: Actually, no. I realise my description is possibly misleading. Indeed I asked for a toggle button, but Marco's is for the "List Style"; I wanted one for the options we get in the "Sort by" submenu in panes.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2017, 10:23:32 am »

Spot on! Thank you, Marco, I'd never noticed it.

EDIT: Actually, no. I realise my description is possibly misleading. Indeed I asked for a toggle button, but Marco's is for the "List Style"; I wanted one for the options we get in the "Sort by" submenu in panes.
You're right. Apologies. You might need to expand more on exactly what you want to toggle though as there can be a lot in the sort menus, we'll all have different ones due to 'saved presets', and 'Custom' allows us to apply any sorting we desire.

yannis

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2017, 01:55:08 pm »

I suppose toggling should be agnostic, that is populated with whatever the user has selected in the drop down list. If that's too hard, then basic stuff like Date, Size, Filename, Artist would do.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2017, 02:09:10 pm »

Have you tried ctrl-u ?

yannis

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2017, 02:16:18 am »

I have now; this one also toggles the list style only.

Let me try and explain it again: In any view, on top, we get its name and a small down arrow. Hovering over it opens a drop down list that includes "Sort by". These are the options that I would like a toggle button for.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2017, 03:42:43 am »

Are you sure toggling through the list of "Sort By" options is what you really want to do?

As Marko mentioned, there are a lot of options, eleven or twelve in a lot of views. Toggling ( I assume you mean moving down the list one at a time) would probably take longer than the menu lag you are trying to avoid. It only takes half a second or less for the menu to drop down for me with a mouse, and the selection is quick.

By the way, I'm not sure what you mean by referring to Windows Explorer in your first post. I must be missing something. The "Sort By" button in Explorer is very similar to the sorting functionality in MC: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Sort_the_Content_Pane
See the attached image.

Could you post an image of the "sorting button" you are referring to in Windows Explorer? Thanks.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

yannis

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2017, 05:33:57 am »

It was supposed to be a simple idea  ::)

As I said, I did mess it up with the ref to Win Exp; no use going back there.

As for speed, I haven't timed myself with a clock, but even pointing at the small arrow never takes less than a sec or even two. So I guess a button populated with a custom list of the 4-5 options I need would be much faster.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2017, 08:00:13 am »

Sorry, I didn't see where you said you had messed up.

None of my MC PCs take as long as a second to show the drop down list. Maybe it is a video card or driver difference.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

yannis

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2017, 12:42:36 pm »

It's not that the lag is that long, but it seems I can't point accurately. Possibly the arrow is too small for my combination of hand speed, resolution, screen size and what have you.

Anyway, the time it took for this thread would be worth years of pointing  :)

blgentry

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2017, 03:25:54 pm »

You might be missing two small things:

1.  You don't have to click the tiny arrow. The entire WORD is the button.  If it's the Albums view, click anywhere on the text that says Albums.
2.  The menu pops up automatically if you hover over it.  This takes about a half a second (ish).  If you click, it comes up immediately.  Same thing with the submenus:  They pop up with a hover over, but are instant if you click.

Brian.

yannis

• World Citizen
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2017, 03:23:59 am »

You're right, I hadn't noticed that. It seems that I've been clicking on the name before the hover lag is over, and then it's as if the hovering is canceled - nothing happens; I then have to move the cursor and hover again.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2017, 04:11:25 am »

It seems that I've been clicking on the name before the hover lag is over, and then it's as if the hovering is canceled - nothing happens; I then have to move the cursor and hover again.

What is the full version are you running Yannis? Because I used to see that happen, which was very annoying, but I think it was changed at some stage because I don't see that anymore. I can't find a specific mention of it, but there were changes in this area back in 22.0.60 (1/11/2017). In MC23.0.50. I can click on the word and get the menu immediately.

yannis

• World Citizen
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2017, 10:16:23 am »

I'm still in 23.0.36.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2017, 06:29:33 pm »

Not that old then. A click doesn't cancel the hover for me anymore.
Pages: [1]   Go Up