INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Samsung Dex Station  (Read 1109 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Samsung Dex Station
« on: September 15, 2017, 01:33:14 pm »

I bought a docking station for a Samsung Galaxy Note 8.  I've hooked it up a couple of times and tried it with some success.  I'm not sure I'll use it, but I think it represents something important in the evolution of the usage of phones.

It's a hockey puck whose top tilts up to support the phone when it's docked.  The phone plugs into the base with a USB type C connector.

The ports are:
2 USB
HDMI (full size)
Ethernet
USB type C for power

I used the ports to connect:
USB Keyboard
USB adaptor for wireless mouse
A large 4K monitor (Seiki)

An app starts on the phone and asks if you want to use Dex.  When I said yes, the display appeared on the monitor. 

The display is reasonably good and the experience from this point is good.  It feels like a computer, not a phone with a big screen.  It's quick.

The apps are the same as those on the phone.  The setup icon is there, but with an added section for the Dex.  The browser (Chrome) works well.

I made a call by starting the phone app and finding the person in Contacts.  The Dex becomes a speaker for this.  Easy.

The monitor wasn't a touch monitor and I found myself wanting to use it that way.

I can imagine using this as both a home and work computer, just moving the phone from one to the other.

Another nice possibility is for traveling.  The Dex is pretty small, around 4" in diameter and an 1 1/4" tall.  It would only need a wireless keyboard/mouse if an HDMI monitor was available in a hotel room.

Another use case is as a backup when the Internet connection goes down and you have to use your phone.  I really miss a good keyboard and screen when that happens.

I like it.  I'll have to wait and see if I use it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up