INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MKV Video over DLNA Problem  (Read 2264 times)

Ekpen

• Citizen of the Universe
MKV Video over DLNA Problem
« on: September 15, 2017, 10:53:13 pm »

Greetings:

I just installed 23.0.59 - 64 bit with no issues during installation. Then I tried to watch The mummy 1080P mkv rips via DLNA, a Sony smart tv used as client.

There were no audio or video issue within the first 20 minutes of the movie. There after, the audio started to break badly and then video started freezing. This Windows install is on Win 10 64 bit, 3.47 Ghz, 16 gig of memory.
I have been using this Asus server for MC for almost 4 years with no problem
These issues are also similar to the 23.0.54 amd64 that I have been reporting about for the last 7 weeks. The case of the Linux platform issue, the audio breaks at the very opening logo, then the video starts to misbehave, it gets worse within 1-3 minutes of watching the movie or concerts, that it is almost unwatchable.
My conclusion or observation is that the 64 bit platform or platforms are broken.

Thanks.
George

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: MKV Video over DLNA Problem
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2017, 07:08:36 am »

I just installed 23.0.59 - 64 bit with no issues during installation. Then I tried to watch The mummy 1080P mkv rips via DLNA, a Sony smart tv used as client.

There were no audio or video issue within the first 20 minutes of the movie. There after, the audio started to break badly and then video started freezing. This Windows install is on Win 10 64 bit, 3.47 Ghz, 16 gig of memory.
I have been using this Asus server for MC for almost 4 years with no problem
These issues are also similar to the 23.0.54 amd64 that I have been reporting about for the last 7 weeks.
That may be bandwidth or CPU related.  If your files are on the LAN, try local files.

MC's DLNA server has conversion settings you could try.  It's under Media Network > Add or edit DLNA servers.

michael123

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2017, 10:22:04 am »

That may be bandwidth or CPU related.  If your files are on the LAN, try local files.

MC's DLNA server has conversion settings you could try.  It's under Media Network > Add or edit DLNA servers.

Now, maybe with the 64-bit, is there a way to maintain some read-ahead buffer for movies?

Ekpen

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2017, 03:51:57 pm »

Greetings:
This Asus server is windows 10 64 bit. I have around 2015 with dual boot Ubuntu 15.10 64 bit installed MC 21.16, MC 21.23, with no audio video issues for two months.
Core i7 3.47- Ghz, 16 gig of memory.
I have wired and wireless . On this Asus, my wifi speed clocks at 866 M/bs, wired is 1000M/bs.
Someone suggested, we need look ahead buffer for movies, this may be the trick to solving this audio cranking up.
In addition : This A.M 09/16/2017, same Windows machine, I went to adjust  in Audio > Device setting > I moved the controversial "slider" from the default to maximum:
Please read the results below:
The Mummy 1080P ripped mkv  I watched the entire movie... no audio or video glitch. Last night, audio issue was audible video was also breaking, but very minor.
Alien Covenant 1080P ripped mkv I watched the entire movie... no audio or video glitch
Assassin's Creed 1080P ripped mkv  I watched entire movie, no audio or video glitch         
Celine Dion A new Day 1080P ripped mkv.. same, no glitch
It is looking like the slider moving up to maximum position is the "fix" for this audio issue.
Too bad the slider has no numerical fields attached to this, so I am not able to use this to fix same issues on the Linux 64 bit version.
Windows version has more tweaking and flexible options compared to the Linux version.
At the conclusion of this writing, I m going to adjust the Audio Device setting, and set the slider at the default position for comparative testing again. I bet you the issue will pop up again.         
I have tried all the conversion settings
Thanks.
George

blgentry

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2017, 04:49:47 pm »

In addition : This A.M 09/16/2017, same Windows machine, I went to adjust  in Audio > Device setting > I moved the controversial "slider" from the default to maximum:

That slider has nothing to do with your setup, as you are sending the video over the network to your Sony TV via DLNA.  I keep trying to tell you this and you keep ignoring me.  Good luck.

Brian.

Ekpen

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2017, 07:51:16 pm »

That slider has nothing to do with your setup, as you are sending the video over the network to your Sony TV via DLNA.  I keep trying to tell you this and you keep ignoring me.  Good luck.

Brian.

I know, but this is the magic that makes it work for me. Remember, the video has to be played on the server before being sent over the network. If what is being played is not smooth, what is being sent to the client will not be smooth... I think we need a sort of video look ahead buffer within the configuration for the videos.
Take note that some of these movies are filled with very fast actions and insane graphics . Some mkvs can play well some can not play well. Example Assassin creed, Alien Covenant etc. It just depends on the movie. Either way what is been played local on the computer  has to be synchronized , both audio and video before the clients can display it well.
Last night, we had issues with the Mummy , though not as bad as the issues we get on the Linux server. Today, I messed with the audio setting, everything played excellent. This is what I know in my "Practical use scenario".

Thanks.

George
Pages: [1]   Go Up