INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: jriver loaded on a NAS  (Read 2660 times)

shakeydeal

• Recent member
jriver loaded on a NAS
« on: September 18, 2017, 07:55:35 am »

I am currently using jriver on my laptop with a seagate external drive streaming to chromecast. My laptop is a few years old and I believe it to be the weak link in the chain. Instead of buying a new one, I was looking at the Western Digital (or comparable) icloud external drive. Can I run jriver from something like this and have my music and the server software all on this drive and eliminate the need for the PC?

Thx

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: jriver loaded on a NAS
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2017, 06:19:47 am »

JRiver MC runs on Windows, Mac, and Linux.  There are Linux builds for the Raspberry Pi.  The Pi is very low powered, but is enough for a music server, as long as you don't want to do things like decoding DSD.

MC has been compiled for one of the big name NAS boxes; QNAP I think.  I personally think running MC on a NAS isn't a great idea, but that's just me.  Others think it's great.  As far as I know that's the only NAS box MC runs on.

Brian.

alfredmjNZ

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2017, 09:52:55 pm »

I have MC v22 installed on a Windows10 PC, but the media library is on a QNAP NAS.  The library can be seen and accessed using DLNA services.  My main issues are with JRMC22 on Windows.  But that is another thread.  So to answer the question: My experience with JR on a QNAP:  Yes.

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2017, 06:47:19 am »

Again, just my opinion:  Putting your media files on a NAS with JRiver MC on a PC is fine.  Accessing them via DLNA from the NAS just makes things confusing and potentially causes problems.  I would access the media files on the NAS as a windows file share.  That makes things much more straight forward.

Brian.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2017, 06:54:52 am »

I agree with Brian.  Here's what I wrote recently:
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,110729.0.html
Pages: [1]   Go Up