INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Feature Request: [Category] field in Theater View  (Read 2028 times)

Denti

• Citizen of the Universe
Feature Request: [Category] field in Theater View
« on: September 19, 2017, 07:26:03 pm »

I haven't upgraded since JRMC20, because this is the only thing I want, so I'm going to try every year.

To achieve proper display of artist names using the ; delimiter (as described here) it appears that the only possibility is to make the category field [Name] available in Theater View. But since [Name] functions as a regular field in Theater View, this means that a new field (perhaps [Category]) needs to be created. I understand that this is not an easy request, and would require lots of coding, but I'm putting out my plea here for the powers-that-be to please consider it. Please! It would be so great to be able to:

1. Sort by last name
2. Display first name first
3. Use ; delimiter for multiple artists per album
4. Use JRemote/Theater View

Currently this is not possible, which is a shame.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Feature Request: [Category] field in Theater View
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2017, 07:42:07 pm »

Please explain why you would want to sort by last name, but display by first name.  Maybe examples would help.

Denti

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2017, 09:30:39 pm »

Please explain why you would want to sort by last name, but display by first name.  Maybe examples would help.
Because that's how most of the Western world (with the exception of Iceland, I guess) sorts and catalogs. Last name is and has always been the way we alphabetize libraries, collections, etc. A quick search on this forum will show that a large number of MC users sort by last name, too. Have you been to a record store recently? Bob Dylan is not filed under B, but under D.

I'm a little surprised by the question, actually. Isn't this pretty common?

Denti

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2017, 05:52:27 pm »

OK, since this got little attention, here are some threads that show there are people who want to sort by last name but display by first name first:

How to sort and display artists in a "natural" order

Sort artists by family name

Sort by last name

And here's a thread in which I go back and forth to try and solve this--in vain:

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=94744.0

As 6233628 summarizes:

Yes, it's possible in Standard View - because in Standard View you can modify [Name]

In Theater View, [Name] does not return the category name, instead it returns the a filename from within that category.
And you have to operate on the category name, or else it returns [Varies]

I don't think this can be fixed until something is changed.

And that's why I want a [Category] field for Theater View!

And some more discussion as to why this currently does not work here:
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=93242

Like I said, this is the only feature I want right now. Any chance such a field could be added?

As BartMan01 succinctly summarizes:

If I am reading correctly, the fundamental issue appears that in the context used above telling it to use [Name] displays [Filename (name)] instead of [Name].

Yep, that's it.

I would call this a bug. Obviously, the MC team thinks otherwise. In any event, creating a [Category] field that does what [Name] does in Standard View for ALL views (but especially Theater View) would be so so so nice!!!

blgentry

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2017, 05:58:40 pm »

If you've read those threads, then you know that this is a fairly complicated problem that requires human intervention in order to get the sorting correct.

What would you like JRiver to do to help?

Brian.

Denti

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2017, 06:00:58 pm »

If you've read those threads, then you know that this is a fairly complicated problem that requires human intervention in order to get the sorting correct.

What would you like JRiver to do to help?

Brian.

You have a field that does it: [Name]. Can't the code for this field be adapted for a new field that does the same thing, just in Theater View?

OK, I realize it's not that simple, but the code would not have to be written from scratch. Whatever works in Standard View could be re-named [Category] for Theater View.

Or am I wrongly assuming the the code for these fields is the same (or at least very similar) across Views?

~OHM~

• "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2017, 06:34:01 pm »

Because that's how most of the Western world (with the exception of Iceland, I guess) sorts and catalogs. Last name is and has always been the way we alphabetize libraries, collections, etc. A quick search on this forum will show that a large number of MC users sort by last name, too. Have you been to a record store recently? Bob Dylan is not filed under B, but under D.

I'm a little surprised by the question, actually. Isn't this pretty common?
Nope not me I like to sort by first name....Looks like Amazon would agree with me :o
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

blgentry

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2017, 07:22:18 am »

Denti wrote more while I was typing my response that makes things more clear.

Also, I missed that this was focused on: 
* Theater View
* Multiple Artist Albums

Those two things make this beyond what I have personally researched and contemplated.  "For that reason, I'm out."

Good luck.

Brian.

Denti

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2017, 09:17:00 am »

Let me try again by asking it this way:

With the exception of [Name] is the underlying code for each field in Standard View the same as in Theater View?

If yes, couldn't the code for [Name] is Theater View be duplicated and made to work with a new field name in Theater View such as [Category]?
Pages: [1]   Go Up