INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gizmo: show other than Name field  (Read 2303 times)

paronsoda

• World Citizen
Gizmo: show other than Name field
« on: October 11, 2017, 03:11:01 pm »

Hi

I would be very happy if someone knows if its possible to make Gizmo show a View with any other field than "Name". For example "Filename" instead.

I will explain my situation.
I'm customizing a View for Gizmo in MC and it seems like the list with playable files always show the "Name" field for every file. If I for example create a View for Audio > Album Artist > Album. The result is folders for Artist then Album and then a list with the songs name. This is quite alright.

My problem is when I create a Video view, for example TV-shows and the files are a TV series where the episodes doesn't have any names but only episode numbers. The result is a blank list. Even when a TV show have episode names I miss the info like "season" number and "episode" number.

In this case it would be much easier if Gizmo could show the "filename" instead.

How I have been able to explain my problem. Any help or guidance is much appreciated.

Regards
Hans

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Gizmo: show other than Name field
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2017, 04:46:40 pm »

As far as I know, none of the 3 Android and IOS remote control programs can show anything other than their preconfigured fields:  Name, Album, Artist .  None of them are configurable for display.

Brian.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 05:57:48 pm »

You can set up custom views on the server.  Tools > Options > Advanced

The options page has a search window at the bottom.

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2017, 06:37:23 pm »

I completely misunderstood!

You can definitely make custom views... I'm not 100% sure about showing fields other than [Name], but in theory it should work.  I'd have to do some experiments to be sure.  I might have time tomorrow to play around with that a bit.

In the mean time, you can get started at:

Tools > Options > media network > advanced > customize views for jremote...

Remember that you'll have to restart MC *and* Gizmo each time you make a view change/addition/removal.

Good luck,

Brian.

blgentry

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2017, 06:50:39 pm »

I just tried a very basic view for TV Shows that shows filename only.  It worked just fine.  You should pretty easily be able to build a view that does this for you.  Just use "filename (name)" as the last category that you add to your view.

Give it a try, experiment a little, and post back here.  Hopefully you'll nail it in a couple of tries.  :)

Brian.

paronsoda

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2017, 01:50:19 pm »

Thank you all for your replies!

But I think I should explain myself a little bit better of what I'm trying to do :-). I can make custom views but my problem is in the final screen where you select a song or video to start. That screen always show the "name" field.

If I add "filename (name)" as a last category it shows every filename as individual folders. I see square icons and they have the field "filename (name)" but they are cut off because of the icon/folder view. If I then enter one of these "filename folders" I see that the file for starting the video show the "name" field.

I hope I have been able to explain it a little bit better :-)

Cheers
Hans

blgentry

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2017, 02:11:17 pm »

What you're describing is just how MC's remote system works.  What would you want to see on your folder icons for each episode?

On the other hand, I've tried using EOS and Gizmo as a remote control for video with MC and frankly, I find it unusable.  But maybe you are OK with how it works other than displaying information about each episode?

Another approach for you might be to use the Get Movie and TV Info function to look up the Names for each of your TV episodes.  This is pretty much an automated process.  I've done this for hundreds and hundreds of TV episodes. 

If that won't work for some reason, could we process your file names to produce a usable [Name] field?  The expression language and the "Fill properties from filename" tool are both pretty powerful in this respect.

Brian.

paronsoda

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2017, 02:55:22 pm »

Hi Brian

I actually don't want folder icons for each episode :-) Sorry if I got things confusing.

I want it something like this:
* A folder view (icons) that display the name of different TV shows as icons.
* When you enter a folder (icon/TV show) you get a list view (file view) where you see all of the episodes for that TV show.
* And when you click on one of the episodes the video starts. And its in this list or file view that I want "filename (name)" to show instead of "name".

If I try to write it in sort of visual way it might look like this:

TV shows                     >      Seinfeld                       >      Seinfeld s02e08 The Heart Attack.mpg
[field Media sub type]     >      [field Series]                >      [field Filename "name"]
[folder view/icons]         >      [folder view/icons]        >      [file view/final screen]

Cheers
Hans

blgentry

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2017, 05:07:15 pm »

As far as I am aware, the last level that is shown, as a file list, can only show [Name].  I'm not an authority, but that's been my experience so far.

Have you considered my suggestion to look up the name data, automatically, using Get Movie and TV Info?
  Or maybe trying to do Fill Properties from Filename in order to populate the [Name] field?  It seems like these would solve your problem.

Brian.

paronsoda

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2017, 08:02:44 am »

Ok then I understand. If [Name] is the only field that a file list can show I will try to work around it. I just wanted to be sure I haven missed some setting. Fill Properties from Filename like you suggested might be a good solution.

Cheers
Hans
Pages: [1]   Go Up