INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: FAQ : UHD Blu Ray  (Read 45126 times)

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
FAQ : UHD Blu Ray
« on: October 06, 2017, 02:27:42 am »

Updated - 13 Aug 2018

MC24 introduces support for playback of unencrypted UHD Bluray.  MC23 or earlier will require you to manually update the version of LAV to the latest Release to support playback.  If you have ripped your UHD-BD to another format like MKV these will play without any changes to MC.

Like with standard BD's, MC does not support the decryption of discs or keep any "keys" to do so.  Hence, you will need a UHD BD decryptor, and as with std BD, there are now several options for decryption/backup of your UHD Blurays.  Support of UHD BD is now pretty quick for new discs but it is done by each of the companies providing the decryption programs (though their may be a delay of some days for newly released discs).  You will need one of the following if you want to play/import your discs in MC:

* DeUHD : This was the first commercial prog that can decrypt UHD BD.  It can both run in the "background" so MC can backup your disc using the Rip Disc Function and in addition has it's own GUI.  I've tested both methods and it works well but it can be considered expensive and the company is of unknown providence.  From my testing, DeUHD will backup a 90GB disc in 1:45min and requires a approx 200MB download per disc.

* AnyDVD HD : UHD Support has been added (at no additional lic costs) and the range of supported discs are good.  Will backup a 90GB Disc in between 1:05 and 1:25min depending of your drive.  Runs in the "background" as usual and also has it's own GUI if you need that function.

* MakeMKV : You need to use their GUI to either rip to Folder (100% copy) or to remux to MKV that can then be imported into MC.  I have used the rip to folder and it works well.  Good range of UHD Discs supported.

* There has also been a several postings of UHD BD Keys (VUK) that several decryption programs (like MakeMKV, AnyDVD HD, and DVD Fab) were originally using.  This supply of "Keys" appears to have stopped and the decryption programs have now moved onto their own methods and support a much wider range of UHD Discs these days.  This is not really an option any more.

* DVD Fab : I have no experience with this program but I understand it also works.

There is also a UHD forum at MYCE that may answer many of your questions - https://club.myce.com/c/ultra-hd-blu-ray

You will also need very specific drives and firmware for these programs to work.  DeUHD support some "UHD official drives" and "UHD friendly drives".  AnyDVD / MakeMKV only supports some "UHD friendly drives".  A list can be found here of the supported drives/firmware

--------- The posts following this one are the history over the last couple of months.  Progress has been quick and as a result many of these posts are now outdated.  Refer to this OP and the later posts for the current status ------------
JRiver CEO Elect

Hendrik

• Administrator
Re: UHD Blu Ray Decrypter (DeUHD)
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2017, 02:42:48 am »

I read up on DeUHD, and it appears to not actually "crack" AACS 2.0, instead, it targets a bunch of discs specifically (ie. they probably obtained disc keys from a compromised player somehow).
What that means is that they'll need to own and handle each and every individual UHD Blu-ray disc before it can be supported - a very slow and very limited process, especially since there are also region-specific variations of such discs out there.

Not to mention that its truely extremely slow (a full disc seems to take several hours), and even has a daily usage limit built in after which it won't work anymore until the next day.

Its totally not worth 200 euros for that.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2017, 03:05:33 am »

100% ...but I'm still thinking of dropping the cash (go figure).  I hope DeUHD spurs some activity in this area from others as while I only have 23 UHD BD it will soon get hard to manage without being able to import them into MC as the collection grows.  For what it is worth, I now try to only buy UHD BD as they tend to also come with a std BD anyway waiting for the day I can rip the UHD BDs.

On another note, any more thoughts on Menus?
JRiver CEO Elect

TheShoe

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2017, 06:32:48 am »

100% ...but I'm still thinking of dropping the cash (go figure).  I hope DeUHD spurs some activity in this area from others as while I only have 23 UHD BD it will soon get hard to manage without being able to import them into MC as the collection grows.  For what it is worth, I now try to only buy UHD BD as they tend to also come with a std BD anyway waiting for the day I can rip the UHD BDs.

i am in the same camp as you.  about same number of uhd discs.

i just bought one of ghe recommended Lg drives because at very least i want to try the free version and see if it can rip the 10 mins or so it claims.   however my paranoia tells me to install it on a fresh copy of windows and isolate it on the network, and use wireshark and other tools to see what it may be doing.  this just seems like a perfect trojan vector

i too am also wondering if it is limited to titles of specific regions or origins, though uhd is region free.  it does not mean they use the same keys...

TV: LG OLED C1 83"
3D: LG OLED C6 65" (two) - madVR MVC->SBS
3D: Valve Index (using Media Center+MadVR) + Virtual Home Theater (Steam)
HTPC: Core i7, Win11, nVidia 3090RTX
Storage: 500TB Snapraid via SMB to Ubuntu 18 LTS server
Audio: exaSound e68 Multichannel USB DAC, Sonus Faber Speakers, REL Subx2
Video: HDMI 2.1/4K@120Hz, JRVR (2D), MadVR (3D), 7.1 Channel Audio into AMPs: Conrad Johnson 2/5 Channel Amps, Marantz av8805A PreAmp
Cables: Shotgun Interconnects, AudioQuest Cinnamon 48GB HDMI cables

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2017, 06:41:54 am »

I've coughed up the $ and now ripping the first disk using MC with DeUHD in the the background.  So far so good.  It  decrypted all the small M2TS files and the rest of the disc structure correctly and is currently working on the main title.... but at 2.1MB/sec MC says it will take 8Hours!  I'll see what it has produced in the morning and how long it really takes to rip 61GB.  I'll then work through the rest of my discs.
JRiver CEO Elect

RD James

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2017, 11:52:32 am »

Doesn't seem worth the money to me in its current state, but hopefully it will improve over time or others (ideally RedFox) will develop better tools.
Looking forward to being able to buy UHD discs now though.

Ekpen

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2017, 01:19:03 pm »

Greetings:

I pray one day UHD will be rippable either by makemkv or RedFox.
Last year, I purchased from Amazon U.K one of the compatible LG optical drive LGBH16NS55 version 1.01, and a few months ago, I also got the Pioneer version. I housed them in external enclosures.
My UHD collections now is almost 150. If you really want UHD, I suggest you start collecting your movies now, at least most come with standard BD.s that you can  watch for the interim.

George

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2017, 03:24:35 pm »

Greetings:

I pray one day UHD will be rippable either by makemkv or RedFox.
Last year, I purchased from Amazon U.K one of the compatible LG optical drive LGBH16NS55 version 1.01, and a few months ago, I also got the Pioneer version. I housed them in external enclosures.
My UHD collections now is almost 150. If you really want UHD, I suggest you start collecting your movies now, at least most come with standard BD.s that you can  watch for the interim.

George

I agree and I've now switched to buying UHD BD where possible (as they also come with a normal BD).  I had to add a BH16NS55 to my UHD BD drive collection as none of my existing ODDs worked with DeUDD (2 x Pio Sata, 1 x Pio USB, 1 x LG USB)  ::)
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2017, 03:29:47 pm »

i too am also wondering if it is limited to titles of specific regions or origins, though uhd is region free.  it does not mean they use the same keys...

From what I understand, while UHD BD is region free... there are different distributors in different parts of the world who may have a different versions (and hence encryption).

To answer your other Q - I'm currently trying the following method
- Put disc in drive
- Let DeUHD scan the disc and say it is open (takes 30-60sec) - at this point the Disc is available to the OS in an unencrypted form any anything (even explorer should be able to copy it).
- The use MC to copy the disc (as I do with Blu Ray and Anydvd)

I set this off last night but this morning it had failed 20% of the way though.  I'm trying this again now.
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2017, 03:31:40 pm »

FYI - Here are some responses I got from DeUHD on the slow speed, the range of discs supported, and if there was a limit to how many you can rip in a day.

1. We will improve the speed.
2. We will support more disc, pls send the aacs folder to me if the discs are not supported.
3. 2 disc per day for purchased version. This is for normal use, not for pirate website
JRiver CEO Elect

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2017, 03:34:24 pm »

See it that way, at the current speed you couldn't possibly rip more then two discs a day anyway! :D

That's a terribly dumb limit however, especially if it gets to "normal" ripping speeds. With BDs I often have a batch of a handful of discs that need ripping, having to spread that out over days would be stupid.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2017, 03:46:37 pm »

Yup - I have replied to them along these lines.  I tend to buy a bunch of new discs on the weekend then use a few drives at once to rip them ready for viewing.  I may then not buy another batch for a few weeks.  The slow speed also prevents being able to play a movie off the disc itself (its about 1/3 the speed needed).  I'm currently ripping at only 2.2MB/sec (according to MC's GUI).  Anyway, it is only their first version so it will be interesting to see:
- How the speed improvements go, and
- If they can truly generate keys just by providing them with the AACS folder from the discs.

This second part is interesting.  If they really can generate keys from user provided info they could be onto a winner in growing the # of supported discs pretty quickly.  Reminds me of the old days of AnyDVD (I think it was for BD+ removal???) where the app would scan unsupported discs and send some info back to them for analysis).
JRiver CEO Elect

TheShoe

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2017, 04:27:54 pm »

From what I understand, while UHD BD is region free... there are different distributors in different parts of the world who may have a different versions (and hence encryption).

To answer your other Q - I'm currently trying the following method
- Put disc in drive
- Let DeUHD scan the disc and say it is open (takes 30-60sec) - at this point the Disc is available to the OS in an unencrypted form any anything (even explorer should be able to copy it).
- The use MC to copy the disc (as I do with Blu Ray and Anydvd)

I set this off last night but this morning it had failed 20% of the way though.  I'm trying this again now.

this is becoming a thread hijack, but I have a supported drive.

tried DeUhd trial on an older i5 machine.  every single disc i inserted it reported it as not supported.

so i moved the drive over to my i7 htpc.  installed the trial which interestingly did not prompt to register.  wonder what info they scrapped to "know" i already registered?  public IP address?

this time each disc i inserted did not report "unsupported" but that i had exceeded essentially (the english is poor) the "one disc limit" for the trial.  which makes me wonder: would it have worked on the i7 htpc?

$233 is a lot to risk and so i'll let this thing hopefully mature a little.  but i am hopeful.

now i'm doing deep scan of my PCs to ensure nothing funny was installed, and looking at network traffic.

maybe i'll route the PC through a wireless network on my cellular and see if it prompts to re-register.
Video: HDMI 2.1/4K@120Hz, JRVR (2D), MadVR (3D), 7.1 Channel Audio into AMPs: Conrad Johnson 2/5 Channel Amps, Marantz av8805A PreAmp

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2017, 11:15:45 pm »

1st rip: done
- Slow (2.1MB/sec on 60GB = 8 Hours).  It is only single threaded so the one core was maxed, if they can go multi threaded then there should be a good bump in speed.  I could also kick up my clock speed for some gains but....
- I used MC to do the copying with DeUHD in the background doing the decrypting.  MC copies all the content in the BDMV Folder (just like with a BD) and ignores the other Root Folders (Certificate and UHD! which is the DeUHD renamed AACS folder)
- No issues with MC importing, taging, playing.

2nd rip: Failed
- It was on their list of supported UHD BD but mine is obviously a different version
- Sent them the AACS folder so lets see

3rd rip: Underway
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2017, 07:02:12 am »

3rd Rip : Done and working
4th Rip : Underway

I've also been chatting to the devs - intersting to see how it goes, esp the support for discs vers they do not have.... + need to get muti thread support as it is sooooo sloooooow.
JRiver CEO Elect

TheShoe

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2017, 11:57:46 pm »

3rd Rip : Done and working
4th Rip : Underway

I've also been chatting to the devs - intersting to see how it goes, esp the support for discs vers they do not have.... + need to get muti thread support as it is sooooo sloooooow.

got it working.  seems you can't hook up a SATA drive over USB using a USB<->SATA adapter.

slow but it actually works :)

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2017, 01:51:29 am »

Good to see it is working for you as well.  My ripping has come to and end for now:
- 23 Discs
- 6 Listed as supported on the DeUHD Website
- 3 of the 6 were actually supported by the app and these ripped / play fine.

Now to see how they go expanding the discs supported.

JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2017, 01:44:11 am »

DeUHD - For "fun" I checked again on the 3 disks that did not rip but are on their list and no luck yet.  Then I tried one not on their list and it worked (currently ripping).  This should be a fun disk to play with in MC / MadVR, as it is in 59.94fps (the only one I think so far released in HFR).  Anyway, I'm guessing they must be adding titles progressively to their DB prior to their "updating the web site weekly" on new discs.
JRiver CEO Elect

rec head

« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2017, 08:40:27 am »

jmone - thanks for the updates on ripping the UHD discs. Glad to hear it is at least kind of working. I'm not ready to spend that much on DeUHD yet but it is great to hear about it.

Maybe there should be a DeUHD thread?

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2017, 02:39:27 pm »

I probably should split the DeUHD stuff out, and also test the new version (claims to be faster among other things) + more discs are now listed as supported....but I'm away for a few days.
JRiver CEO Elect

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2017, 02:57:16 pm »

Then I tried one not on their list and it worked (currently ripping).  This should be a fun disk to play with in MC / MadVR, as it is in 59.94fps (the only one I think so far released in HFR).
Billy Lynn’s Long Halftime Walk?

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2017, 03:52:45 pm »

Yup
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2017, 05:26:21 am »

Looks like an issue with EOS playing these back but JRemote is fine.  Will need to test more when back at home. 
JRiver CEO Elect

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2017, 11:58:10 am »

DeUHD added some more titles and is now up to 40. Planet Earth II is now on the list. I think I'm going to order a UHD player for my HTPC.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2017, 05:58:27 am »

Did some quick testing on Remotes playing these discs and I just don't think my current PC is up to the transcoding task (JRMark of 4K).  Looking at a new build anyway, maybe the new i7-8700K (2 more cores and higher clock rates).
JRiver CEO Elect

blgentry

« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2017, 06:12:35 am »

Did some quick testing on Remotes playing these discs and I just don't think my current PC is up to the transcoding task (JRMark of 4K).  Looking at a new build anyway, maybe the new i7-8700K (2 more cores and higher clock rates).

Wait, what?  You want play full UHD 4k rips on a tablet?

Brian.

TheShoe

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2017, 06:30:51 am »

had no issues playing back guardians of the galaxy 2 with hdr through jriver.  nice. 

now the question is how to purchase the full license.   need to see if i can get a one time use credit card number as their site seems to not use https.

noticed they are adding duplicate titles, i assume because some titles have different keys in different regions or due to different distribution companies

dont update your drive firmware!

rec head

« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2017, 07:26:29 am »

dont update your drive firmware!

Please explain.

TheShoe

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2017, 03:41:23 pm »

Please explain.

well we dont know how they did it.  but since intel sgx is not required but specific drives are i suspect they have found a way to exploit these drives

who knows if it can be defeated with firmware.   so for those of us who have this working i would keep things constant

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2017, 04:12:59 pm »

Wait, what?  You want play full UHD 4k rips on a tablet?

Brian.

Sure - Have a library with all the content on it.  Clients that can access the library are Library Server clients, DLNA devices, Tablets, Phones etc.  Would prefer to have ONE version of the video and let MC transcode to lower quality when needed.  Seems that the transcoding of the UHD BD 4k H265 material is just harder on my MC Server than the BD 1080p H264 stuff.
JRiver CEO Elect

blgentry

« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2017, 05:11:09 pm »

It just seems rather umm.. well.. kinda ridiculous to watch such ULTRA resolution content, intentionally transcoded and streamed over a network, to a tiny little handheld device.

I guess I'm old now. Damn, darn, darn.    :)

Brian.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2017, 05:28:31 pm »

Sorry, I probably did not explain this well.  I have the following players:
- 4K PJ / 125" Screen fed by high end HTPC / Media Client Server running med/high quality settings
- 4K OLED / 65" Screen fed by high end HTPC / Media Client Server running med/high quality settings
- Couple of old 1080p TVs fed by low end HTPC / Media Client Server running low/med quality settings
- Cheapie 48" 4K TV using DLNA (remotes)
- Various Tablets / Phones etc using DLNA (remotes)

Ideally you want a single source that can play to all devices (as apposed to having different versions for each one).  MC's allows you to do this thanks to the transcoding engine.  So I will rip the "best" available (eg UHD BD) and it will look great on the Library Server clients playing the 1:1 version.  Other devices can still access the content but it will be transcoded as needed.

So it is not about "watching ULTRA res content on a tiny hand held device" but just about watching content on any device at the format that works best for it.
JRiver CEO Elect

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2017, 05:36:33 pm »

well we dont know how they did it.  but since intel sgx is not required but specific drives are i suspect they have found a way to exploit these drives

who knows if it can be defeated with firmware.   so for those of us who have this working i would keep things constant

It's more likely they have a software player (or rooted hardware player) they managed to exploit and get title keys out of that - hence the need to support individual discs one by one. Your own drive would not really matter for that, as long as it's UHD BD compatible.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

blgentry

« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2017, 05:46:47 pm »

- 4K PJ / 125" Screen fed by high end HTPC / Media Client Server running med/high quality settings

Why not full quality?  Or does that setting (med/high) somehow mean "full quality" with no transcoding?

Ideally you want a single source that can play to all devices (as apposed to having different versions for each one).  MC's allows you to do this thanks to the transcoding engine.  So I will rip the "best" available (eg UHD BD) and it will look great on the Library Server clients playing the 1:1 version.  Other devices can still access the content but it will be transcoded as needed.

So it is not about "watching ULTRA res content on a tiny hand held device" but just about watching content on any device at the format that works best for it.

I get the overall aim.  I just don't get why anyone would choose to watch video on a tiny little tablet.  Especially when you have SO MANY big displays!  Your kids maybe?  Even that I don't understand.  I feel like parents have pushed kids into being tablet consumers because they don't want to deal with their kids video choices.  But I guess that's none of my business anyway.

Brian.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2017, 06:02:27 pm »

As commercial video is all a "lossy" encode there is no "Full Quality" as such.  The HTPCs play the 1:1 (non transcoded) files but the video rendering (aka madVR settings) can require some some serious GPU grunt as you increase the quality settings (better algorithms).   Some of my HTPC have stronger GPUs then others so I have different settings to take that into account (or you start getting stuttering as they can not keep up). 

The DLNA devices (one TV, bunch of tables/phones) on the other hand all take a transcoded stream from MC Server where you have a few choices of profiles (none of which are 4K by the way).  These MC Profiles work well for such devices and are great for casual viewing (eg I have the cheapie 4K TV in front of the running machine so the "Walking Dead" can keep me going - it does not need anything better than a transcoded stream for this purpose).  Also, I can not believe how much video content the kids watch on their phones/tablets (most from the net) so it keeps the MC library accessible to them on their "favourite" device.

The best analogy I can suggest is that you may have a FLAC library of music but then sync or play this using MP3 to devices like phones, or wireless speakers for casual listening but you want the FLAC for your HiFi setup as well.

EDIT: Better Analogy:  Think of MC Server like an InHome Netflix Server.  You find your title and press play and it will then play in the most appropriate format/quality for the particular device (be it an HTPC, TV, Tablet, Phone etc).  MC does this pretty well! To do this you want the best quality master you can get to cater for all the possibilities.
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2017, 06:06:22 pm »

It's more likely they have a software player (or rooted hardware player) they managed to exploit and get title keys out of that - hence the need to support individual discs one by one. Your own drive would not really matter for that, as long as it's UHD BD compatible.

I agree, this exploit seems to be in two parts:
- They have pre sniffed out title keys from discs (then package this for sale in their app), but it also needs the customers to have a:
- particular ODD that can see the content on the UHD BD (most UHD ODD have an encryption chip to prevent access to the content from non authorised SW).  This is why my PIO UHD BD drives are not (currently) supported and they recommend not updating the BIOS on the supported drives.
JRiver CEO Elect

blgentry

« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2017, 07:00:01 pm »

As commercial video is all a "lossy" encode there is no "Full Quality" as such.

I'm pretty conversant in video and audio formats and am familiar with the compression that's been used on optical media since DVD, then BD, and now UHD.

The HTPCs play the 1:1 (non transcoded) files but the video rendering (aka madVR settings) can require some some serious GPU grunt as you increase the quality settings (better algorithms).   Some of my HTPC have stronger GPUs then others so I have different settings to take that into account (or you start getting stuttering as they can not keep up). 

Interesting.  Since I don't run MC on a Windows box, I have no access to this and have not researched it.  I'm guessing that the GPU power you refer to and the algorithms are related to scaling and possibly changing frame rate?  Because decoding even H.265 really isn't that processor intensive.  Even my 2011 Macbook Pro has no problem with 1080 H.265.  Has to be scaling and/or frame rate conversion.  Or other more advanced post processing that I'm forgetting or simply don't know about.

The best analogy I can suggest is that you may have a FLAC library of music but then sync or play this using MP3 to devices like phones, or wireless speakers for casual listening but you want the FLAC for your HiFi setup as well.

As I said before, I understand the aim of "store highest quality version and transcode as necessary for target device."  I'd rather just deliver native to everything and that's how I do it in my VERY limited way.  As I add devices, I may find that this doesn't work so well.  We'll see.  :)

Thanks for the discussion.  Sorry about hijacking/forking your thread.

Brian.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2017, 07:05:36 pm »

Because decoding even H.265 really isn't that processor intensive. 

You seem to have not dealt with 4k 10-bit content, like on UHD BDs, yet. Or even better, high-frame rate content! :)
Without hardware decoding, you're probably out of luck on most consumer systems.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

blgentry

« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2017, 08:09:21 pm »

^ You'll note that I qualified my statement as 1080.  Not UHD.  I've played 1080 at 60Hz and it didn't seem to have any problems.  Though I think that was H.264 actually, not H.265.  I have very limited exposure to H.265.  I've just played a few dozen files; all at 1080/30 or 1080/24. 

I suppose you have a very valid point here in that I don't think I've ever played 4k video on any of my systems.  I don't have access to any 4k content (other than demo stuff I could go find I guess).

Brian.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2017, 08:23:19 pm »

Check this out from one of the rips - 4K 60fps and with the audio tracks it hits 100Mb/s data rate!
Code: [Select]
Format                                   : HEVC
Format/Info                              : High Efficiency Video Coding
Format profile                           : Main 10@L5.1@High
Codec ID                                 : 36
Duration                                 : 1 h 52 min
Bit rate                                 : 91.8 Mb/s
Width                                    : 3 840 pixels
Height                                   : 2 160 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
Frame rate                               : 59.940 (60000/1001) FPS
Color space                              : YUV
Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0 (Type 2)
Bit depth                                : 10 bits
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.185
Stream size                              : 72.3 GiB (92%)
Color range                              : Limited
Color primaries                          : BT.2020
Transfer characteristics                 : SMPTE ST 2084
Matrix coefficients                      : BT.2020 non-constant
Mastering display color primaries        : R: x=0.680000 y=0.320000, G: x=0.265000 y=0.690000, B: x=0.150000 y=0.060000, White point: x=0.312700 y=0.329000
Mastering display luminance              : min: 0.0050 cd/m2, max: 4000.0000 cd/m2
Maximum Content Light Level              : 2086 cd/m2
Maximum Frame-Average Light Level        : 997 cd/m2
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2017, 09:19:01 pm »

So I run into two different performance limits:
1) Clients:  Decoding and (standard - RO Std) rendering is not to bad on modern systems if the have the supported HW Acceleration required for the 264 or 265 and a reasonable GPU.  For example I can play the above video just fine on my old i7-3770K and GTX960 in RO Std (though it is pretty maxed out).  Gets tougher setups if you don't HW Decoding.  Rendering using ROHQ (MadVR) is another step up as it lets you then pick various algorithms for scaling Luma/Chroma and it is easy for me to drive the GTX1070 in my HTPC into the dirt on some content.  Even with all that, compute power there is still bandwidth limits to HDMI.  For example I've had to set my GPU to output 4:2:0 instead of RGB to keep the bandwidth under the 18Gb/s limit of HDMI 2 to accommodate files such as the one above.

2) Serving:  No issues with my HTPC Media Server Clients as they are just accessing the file share on the server.  DLNA / Remote clients need my server to transcode and while the i7-3770K/GTX960 can play these files fine, 265 UHD BD transcoding is just too much for it with a pause every few seconds (hence why I'm looking at upgrading this box to a newer CPU/GPU Combo).  I'm not sure why the i7-3770K/GTX960 struggles on transcoding this content as the CPU and GPU utilisation is not that high, maybe the library used for transcoding is not as fast as that for playback ?
JRiver CEO Elect

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2017, 10:05:49 pm »

I'm not sure why the i7-3770K/GTX960 struggles on transcoding this content as the CPU and GPU utilisation is not that high, maybe the library used for transcoding is not as fast as that for playback ?

This is a bit of a worry. If the CPU and GPU utilisation isn't the problem, what is being maxed out? Memory? Files or OS Handles or something?

If your "old i7-3770K" can't handle it, what chance has my Intel Core i5-3570K got, or most of the PC hardware out there? Maybe my NVidia MSI GeForce GTX 1060 helps, but it can only do so much.

I ask because I do see some apparent limitations of using a PC for media, more so since MC23, but I don't see any reason for it. An AU$250 Samsung UHD BD player can handle it all. What is happening in PCs that loads them so much?
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #42 on: October 12, 2017, 10:45:13 pm »

This PC can Play the UHD BD (265) content just fine but for some reason it can not transcode it fast enough when doing it's server duties (eg it is writing the temp files in just under real time).  I've looked at Resource Monitor and don't see anything obviously maxed out.    It has to be something to do specifically with the UHD BD (265)-->AVC Profile transcoding process as I have no issues with BD (264)--> AVC Profile YET the CPU/GPU utilisation are both higher when transcoding std BD (264) than with UHD (265) source material. 
- BD Streaming : High Initial CPU and GPU use as the Temp file is created and the first bunch of data is added (much faster than real time).  CPU and GPU use then drops off and then jumps again as the next bunch of data is added.  The Temp file buffers a few more minutes than is needed.  Plays fine in the Remote
- UHD BD Streaming : GPU = Steady 34% (but Maximum Frequency = 105%) CPU = Steady 25% but the temp file is being expanded in 5 sec (ish) batches but as it takes longer than 5 sec to create it, so the player starts playing, pauses, plays, pauses.  The CPU / GPU usage does not seem to change.  If I pause playback the buffered temp file keeps growing but if I press play I soon catchup to where it has buffered and playback pauses.

Maybe Hendrik has a clue.
JRiver CEO Elect

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: October 13, 2017, 02:25:51 am »

Its quite possible that downscaling the 4K to lower resolution is holding it back. When transcoding, its done on the CPU and its single-threaded, so it wouldn't show up as maxing out the full CPU.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #44 on: October 13, 2017, 03:21:44 am »

I can see one CPU thread getting hammered but on average it is still only 60-70% ish.  I also see GPU being used.  Any suggestions on tweaks or is higher frequency the only answer?
JRiver CEO Elect

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #45 on: October 13, 2017, 03:34:45 am »

Even with all that, compute power there is still bandwidth limits to HDMI.  For example I've had to set my GPU to output 4:2:0 instead of RGB to keep the bandwidth under the 18Gb/s limit of HDMI 2 to accommodate files such as the one above.

4k@60Hz RGB should work in 8-bit over HDMI. Using 8-bit instead of 10 should really yield a much better image then using 10-bit and 4:2:0 chroma - especially with madVR. Additionally, 4:2:2 10-bit should also work, no reason to use 4:2:0 here.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #46 on: October 13, 2017, 03:58:25 am »

Oddly - 4k@60Hz RGB 8-bit gives me a green image on my PJ but looks fine on my OLED.  As a result I've set my PJ HTPC output to 4:2:2 12 Bit (auto frame rate change) and it looks goods (sorry my mistake saying 4:2:0 - just used to the madVR OSD display on the source file).

As per the discussion in this thread - https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,110835.0.html
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #47 on: October 13, 2017, 04:44:35 am »

Mmmmm - this is not good.  I'm re-ripping 2 x Discs that have errors on the rip.  One has visible corruption at one point and another drops enough data that the video stops playing all together (though you can seek past the point).  I'm going to e-mail the devs,
JRiver CEO Elect

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #48 on: October 13, 2017, 06:03:46 am »

This is like reading Soul of a New Machine.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #49 on: October 13, 2017, 06:10:37 am »

This is like reading Soul of a New Machine.

How true....
"A running theme in the book is the tension between engineering quality and time to market" (Wikipedia)
JRiver CEO Elect
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up