INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My media server went down / Streaming  (Read 2235 times)

imugli

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
My media server went down / Streaming
« on: October 20, 2017, 01:09:25 am »

I've been thinking about this and observing how media is consumed in my house.
There are predominantly 3 avenues for media -
Audio - Spotify
Video - Netflix or Google Play via Chromecast
Television - MC

My media server went down a couple of months ago and to be honest we haven't really missed it.
I'm not an audiophile, and I don't inspect every pixel in my video reproduction. I just want to watch or listen.

I long-ago posed the idea of MC being an aggregator of media. If I have a spotify account, MC could include spotify in my music catalog with an icon to differentiate between local or online content.

Similar with Netflix and Video (for example)

With the movie studios now seemingly getting their act together and offering one pane of glass to view all online movie purchases from (most) of the studios, it may only be a matter of time before the record companies do the same.

So my question is - where does JRiver fit in in an increasingly stream-driven world? Where companies like Sonos have access to Spotify, Roku and many devices have access to Netflix' (closed) API, Chromecast makes it dead easy for me to connect my device to my TV (albeit without the sound from my PC).

I know JRiver has always been anal about retaining control of the MC UI, and I know you guys may not have the resources to go after deals with every loss making streaming provider, but I really do think the time is coming (here?) whereby you may have to place a bet or two with one or two of the larger providers (Netflix, Spotify, or even Google perhaps) and maybe even give a little on that UI front (I don't think anyone would mind seeing the familiar Netflix UI within MC) in order to stay "relevant" long term.

My 2c worth.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: My media server went down a couple of months ago
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2017, 07:21:15 am »

I've split this in order to discuss it.

For people who wonder why JRiver doesn't chase the streaming business, there is a thread called Why Streaming Struggles.

I would love to do what you propose, but I don't think it is possible at this time.

I use both Amazon and Netflix for watching movies.  The catalog is great.  The quality and user experience aren't very good.  The search stinks.

We're still living in an age of walled gardens.  Each service stands alone and defends its turf from others.

If Netflix wanted JRiver to build a player or a web app, we'd do it.  No question.

JimH

• Administrator
Re: My media server went down / Streaming
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2017, 07:44:31 am »

In another thread, Hilton said this:

@JimH  -  I'm with Nathan.. I think you're in a position with the teams knowledge and experiences to do something like Trakt media management or Reelgood (maybe best of both).  It would be a stretch for sure, but the difference if you did it is that it could hook into your own library or other users shared libraries, or any other online streaming service.

It would be a lot of work, but think about it. One media manager to rule them all.. and playback either natively in MC or launch the external vendors web/app.
I think this sort of thing would be best done completely outside MC and just build the interface so it can talk to MC, (and all the other content Databases and sources)

Reelgood
https://www.cnbc.com/2017/07/21/reelgood-combines-all-of-your-streaming-services-heres-how-it-works.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_video_streaming_aggregators

PS: I already use Trakt to create my own watch lists and wanted lists.

imugli

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2017, 02:04:31 am »

I guess what I'm saying is I'd love MC to become a software Roku or Apple TV.

I think there'd be something really compelling about a fully functioning, pi based MC that combines theater view UI, TV functionality (even just with support for the HDHR), and access to Netflix, Spotify, Google Play etc. along with the ability to back end it with a local MC library.

An id pi on steroids, if you like.

That's not the "Integrated collection" I've previously spoken of, but it's still one place for everything.

Obviously that requires the ears of those services, which is out of your control, and probably some $$$, but given the studios' present clamp down on "Kodi boxes" that allow plugins for questionable services, the fact you're a closed source software developer may also work in your favour.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2017, 07:56:41 am »

I guess what I'm saying is I'd love MC to become a software Roku or Apple TV.

I think there'd be something really compelling about a fully functioning, pi based MC that combines theater view UI, TV functionality (even just with support for the HDHR), and access to Netflix, Spotify, Google Play etc. along with the ability to back end it with a local MC library.

An id pi on steroids, if you like.

That's not the "Integrated collection" I've previously spoken of, but it's still one place for everything.

Obviously that requires the ears of those services, which is out of your control, and probably some $$$, but given the studios' present clamp down on "Kodi boxes" that allow plugins for questionable services, the fact you're a closed source software developer may also work in your favour.
I've been thinking about this.  The Id might make the cut with those services.

To do it well, the device would cost several hundred dollars, and the Roku type devices are typically under $100.  Still, there might be a niche market for it.

imugli

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2017, 08:12:29 am »

But even if it was just the software. A MC on steroids, so people could put it on whatever hardware - PC, Linux, Pi...

I think the Kodi boxes are inexpensive because a. They're generally Android based and b. The software costs $0.

If you did a Linux Pi with HDHR support and Netflix, Spotify and Google Play, I think I could find AU$300 to lay down for one. I think I could find a couple of people to sell one to as well. It would literally replace my ancient Atom based HTPC. Imagine then it included Google voice recognition, like in all those pi based DIY google home videos... Oh boy...

I'd rather do that kind of coin on you guys than a Roku or NVIDIA Shield.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2017, 08:28:05 am »

I don't think the services would want to allow a software only solution.

imugli

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2017, 09:29:21 am »

I don't think the services would want to allow a software only solution.

You're probably right. But a closed source MC box? Mmmm...  :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up