INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LAV File Download problem with my Firewall  (Read 2603 times)

jrdiandrea

• Galactic Citizen
LAV File Download problem with my Firewall
« on: October 23, 2017, 01:14:46 pm »

Hoping to make it simpler for me to update....

Apparently, not all updates require the LAV file filter to be downloaded. But on those occasions when it is required to re-downloaded, my firewall prevents it from downloading. So, after an update when the LAV filter was to have been updated, I cannot play videos. I have to have my IT people turn the firewall off temporarily while i update 5 separate systems, then have them turn it back on.

Does this download always come from the same IP address? I'd LOVE to have my IT guys white list it so I don't have this issue.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks

JR

jrdiandrea

• Galactic Citizen
Re: LAV File Download problem with my Firewall
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2017, 06:59:19 am »

Any help on this? Would really appreciate some info.....

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2017, 07:13:54 am »

Apparently, not all updates require the LAV file filter to be downloaded. But on those occasions when it is required to re-downloaded, my firewall prevents it from downloading.
You can set your firewall to ask.  It's probably in a silent mode.

jrdiandrea

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2017, 07:23:39 am »

Thanks for responding, Jim.

Can you tell me if it comes from the same IP address all of the time or not?

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2017, 07:25:46 am »

We use Amazon S3 for file storage. There are no guarantees its always the same address, since we don't control it.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Spike1000

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2017, 07:29:49 am »

You can set your firewall to ask.  It's probably in a silent mode.
To me the message reads like JR is behind a business controlled firewall (beit border or local to the machines - sounds like there's only one so I'd guess at being 'border'). The user (rightly so) doesn't have any direct control over this.

MC's reliance on 3rd party sites for functionality (eg LAV, artwork etc) concerns me. We recently had a thread on a now defunct artwork (I think) site was causing delays while connections within MC timed out. The site was hard coded into MC.

The reliance on (undocumented?) sites and an internet connections to ensure MC functions 100% is going come back and bite us at some point in the future  :(

Spike

audioriver

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2017, 07:40:34 am »

Perhaps MC should be able to use/revert to the previous LAV/madVR version if the newer has failed to download, while still trying to later download it in the background.
Windows 10 Pro x64

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2017, 08:38:19 am »

MC's reliance on 3rd party sites for functionality (eg LAV, artwork etc) concerns me.

"files.jriver.com" is hardly third-party. What provider we use for the hosting is not important to that, we just can't guarantee the IP address since it might change. But the same thing would apply for every kind of hosting. We reserve a bit of flexibility.
Artwork is an entirely different und unrelated topic, but suffice it to say that we're never going to offer "first-party" metadata and artwork services for every kind of media in existence. If you don't want to use external services, you can disable them.

MC requires a functional internet connection to work fully, that is a well established fact, and unlikely to change - and in 2017 not a rather unusual or hard to fullfill requirement. If your internet cannot access a simple web server over HTTP, then its not very functional.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

audioriver

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2017, 08:42:11 am »

MC requires a functional internet connection to work fully, that is a well established fact, and unlikely to change - and in 2017 not a rather unusual or hard to fullfill requirement. If your internet cannot access a simple web server over HTTP, then its not very functional.

Fair enough, but internet connectivity might be temporarily down for many reasons, not just capability-related and that's not an unusual situation either. A simple solution would be: when MC auto-updates, then have it instantly auto-update its plugins too, instead of waiting for a video to launch first. That gap can cause such problems so MC should either auto-update fully, or not at all.
Windows 10 Pro x64

jrdiandrea

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2017, 08:55:21 am »

To me the message reads like JR is behind a business controlled firewall (beit border or local to the machines - sounds like there's only one so I'd guess at being 'border'). The user (rightly so) doesn't have any direct control over this.

MC's reliance on 3rd party sites for functionality (eg LAV, artwork etc) concerns me. We recently had a thread on a now defunct artwork (I think) site was causing delays while connections within MC timed out. The site was hard coded into MC.

The reliance on (undocumented?) sites and an internet connections to ensure MC functions 100% is going come back and bite us at some point in the future  :(

Spike

Spike, that's correct. I have a Sonic Wall which I don't have access to. I have to have my IT guys turn it off briefly each time the LAV needs updated. not an ideal arrangement.

Thanks for all of the feed back.....

Spike1000

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2017, 09:00:33 am »

That's not unreasonable but as audioriver pointed out (temporary?) lack of an internet connection could be handled better. I was actually thinking way in the future what if JRiver was ever to be bought out/change hands the reliance on hard coded links to sites that may have gone away could cause issues.. . .

Maybe I'm thinking too much and need to stop thinking and play some more tunes  :D

Spike

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2017, 11:31:59 am »

We've been doing this for well more than a decade so far.  You'd be better off worrying about North Korea.
Pages: [1]   Go Up