INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sync with server not working [Solved]  (Read 3004 times)

klauss

• Recent member
Sync with server not working [Solved]
« on: October 30, 2017, 10:05:50 am »

I upgraded from MC21 to MC23 and server sync is not working anymore. For instance, a show that I watch from a connected client (running the same MC23) will not save its position or won't delete files. When I delete a file from a client, it disappears from the list of available shows, but it will show up the next time when I start the client and I can (of course) see that the file(s) are not deleted from the server's disk. Deleting files using MC 23 on the server works just fine. I turned on authentication and also selected the checkbox 'auto sync with server'. No luck. Any way I can figure out why this is not working?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Sync with server not working
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2017, 10:07:54 am »

Authentication is required.  Try restarting both sides.

klauss

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2017, 10:17:29 am »

I turned on authentication on both sides. I did restart both sides more than once. No luck. What I am finding a little 'odd' is that I can re/enter my credentials on the server as many times as I want, but the client only offers me to re/enter 'read only' creds. I was only able to enter read / write creds after initial installation of the client.

klauss

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2017, 09:34:57 am »

I have un-installed the client and the server, rebooted both machines, re-installed both machines. Same result. I want to note that the behavior on the client is very odd when I delete a recording in the standard UI. The file that I 'deleted' will NOT disappear from the list of recordings, however, the selection jumps to another line. Deleting on the server works just fine. One additional thing to note is that both machines recently received the Windows 10 Falls Creators Update - I want to mention that since it could be related. I really would appreciate help on how to figure out what happened.

klauss

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2017, 10:00:28 pm »

I also deleted my library on the server and re-created it. I turned on logging to see if there is some hint as to why this is not working - no luck. The client does not even store the last position where I stopped watching a show. I would really appreciate some help here to figure out why this is not working.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2017, 10:32:25 pm »

Sounds like you could be running different libraries on server and client. Did you uninstall MC21? It sounds as if you are still connected to the MC21 library server to me, if you did not.

klauss

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2017, 09:28:21 am »

I uninstalled MC21 and MC23 on both the client and the server. Rebooted both boxes. Then I re-installed MC23 on both machines and restored a library backup (including settings) on the server. Shared my library on the server and created a media authentication password (read / write) on the server. I then deleted the (restored) library on the server completely and re-added my directories - waited for the library to be ready (took about 10 min).

Then I started the client and connected to the server using the access key and entered the username / password (My client does not have a local library - it only uses the server). Tried to delete a file from the client - does not delete the file on the server (this used to work). The odd thing is that when I delete a file (from the client) from theater view, the file actually disappears. When I delete a file in standard view, the file does NOT disappear. Deleting files on the server in any view always works.

Again, I would like to mention that I also installed the Windows Fall Creator's Update. This update introduced some bugs for IIS and powershell. Of course, I don't know if there is a correlation, but I want to point that out.

~OHM~

• "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2017, 10:15:52 am »

error
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

klauss

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2017, 10:19:14 am »

I believe it's configured the way it should be. The option 'auto sync with server' is selected and I also have an 'authentication' username and password set. Both of these are set on the server and the client. Anything else I should do?

tzr916

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2017, 08:25:38 pm »

What exactly is the purpose of "Authentication (must be on to use Library Server Sync)" ?
And what exactly is "Library Server Sync" ?

I've never enabled Authentication, just have "Auto sync with server" checked... and deleting files/tagging files from clients has always worked fine.
JRiverMC v32 •Windows 10 Pro 64bit •Defender Exclusions •ṈŘ 3rd party AV
•ASUS TUF gaming WiFi z590 •Thermaltake Toughpower GX2 600W
•i7-11700k @ 3.6GHz~5GHz •32GB PC4-25600 DDR4
•OS on Crucial P5 Plus M.2 PCIe Gen4 •Tv Recordings on SATA 6TB WD Red Pro
•4 OTA & 6 CableCard SiliconDust Tuners
•nVidia RTX2060 •XBR65Z9D •AVRX3700H •Fluance 7.2.2 [FH]
•SMP1000DSPѫeD A3-300[RSS315HE-22] •SPA300DѫYSTSW215[15-PRX8S4]

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2017, 09:04:11 pm »

Klauss, a firewall on your Server or Client or both is blocking MC transactions between the Server and the Client. You need to investigate your firewalls and explicitly allow MC programs to operate. There is a small chance a Virus Scanner is the actual culprit if yours uses heuristics or similar, but I would look to the firewall first.

This explains perfectly the scenario of deleting a file on the Client, having it disappear on the Client View, but then reappearing when the Client is closed and reopened. i.e.
Delete file in Client.
The local copy of Server Library is updated with the deletion, removing the file from the view. This is immediately apparent in Theatre View, but requires a refresh of the View in Standard View, possibly.
Firewall blocks the deletion from being executed on the Server and also blocks the update of the Server Library. Probably the Server Firewall, but could be the Client Firewall.
The Client is closed.
The Client is reopened and a new, fresh copy of the Server Library is downloaded, which includes the "deleted" file.
Frustration and confusion ensue.  ?

When you upgraded from MC21 to MC23 all the executables changed, so a firewall would want to be told those executables were okay to Allow again. If you have notifications turned on in your Firewall it should have generated messages asking whether you want to allow the programs access the first time you used MC23. Typically there are several notifications, for different parts of MC. I usually get two or three when I install a new major version, at times like initial connection to the Server, first playback of video, audio, etc. which require access to the internet to download madVR, LAV, codecs, etc. I'm using Norton 360 on all my Windows PCs and do not have it set to Silent Mode specifically so that I can see when the firewall needs to Allow access to something.

Check which MC21 programs are Allowed in your Firewall, and make sure that the equivalent MC23 programs are also Allowed. on your Server and Client.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

klauss

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2017, 10:55:54 pm »

Bingo. Your analysis was spot on. It turns out that it's the webroot firewall / av on the client side. I turned the client side webroot off (still running on the server side) and that actually did the trick. With webroot turned off everything is working. Since I have the root cause I will be able to configure a firewall exception. Nicely analyzed. I truly appreciate your help. The next round is on me.

THANK YOU!!!  :)

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
Re: Sync with server not working [Solved]
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2017, 07:52:53 pm »

You are welcome.

I'm not sure when I will be in your neck of the woods to collect that round, but I appreciate the thought.  :D
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner
Pages: [1]   Go Up