INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Track Change  (Read 4115 times)

amsco15

• World Citizen
Track Change
« on: November 06, 2017, 05:52:05 pm »

I assume this has been covered before.  I did try several searches. 

I use MC 23.0.77 64bit on a Win 10 creators edition machine, using DLNA to play into a PS Audio Direct Stream Bridge II.  Network and MC have been very stable for years now.  One issue I've recently noticed is that track changes within a random playlist often truncate the last couple seconds of a song, then switch to the next song.  The transitions can be awkward.  I think this most often happens when the data rate changes (24/44.1 to 24/96) or file type changes (FLAC to DSF).  The problem never occurs when playing an album from the same folder and in this case, gapless works flawlessly. 

I have run Whitebears DLNA analyzer and have all the suggested settings selected.  It also appears there are no track change options for a DLNA renderer like there are for a directly connected player.  Also, I have Audio Mode: Original and therefore do not use DSP settings.

Any ideas?  Thanks ahead of time.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Track Change
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2017, 06:46:05 pm »

You can use MC's DSP Studio > Output Settings to resample everything to a sample rate / bit rate that works.  24/96, for example. 

amsco15

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2017, 06:54:05 pm »

Jim, thanks for the quick response.  I’ll try that but I’m a bit of a purist and like to keep everything in its original state.  It’s not the end of the world.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2017, 06:55:12 pm »

It's probably the DAC that's having trouble syncing.  There's no downside to resampling everything though.

DJLegba

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2017, 07:04:05 pm »

It's probably the DAC that's having trouble syncing.

I don't think so. I've noticed this recently and haven't changed any hardware since MC20.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2017, 01:25:02 pm »

I don't think so. I've noticed this recently and haven't changed any hardware since MC20.
Do you still have an older version of MC installed you could test using the same playlist and DLNA settings?
There have been a number of changes in the DLNA controller code lately (to try to make it more forgiving to renderer errors).

DJLegba

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2017, 02:10:52 pm »

Do you still have an older version of MC installed you could test using the same playlist and DLNA settings?
There have been a number of changes in the DLNA controller code lately (to try to make it more forgiving to renderer errors).

Sorry, I delete older versions about a week after installing the newer replacement.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2017, 12:48:23 pm »

Sorry, I delete older versions about a week after installing the newer replacement.
Can you recall an approximate date that it last worked?
I can direct you to a download of the build from that time for testing...

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2017, 03:11:31 pm »

Please also try both Enable and Disable SetNext support.

(Note to bob: I am guessing that the renderer may be trying to preempt its track change event message in order to trick the server into a more “gapless” behavior, and it might just be trying too hard..)
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

DJLegba

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2017, 03:13:53 pm »

Can you recall an approximate date that it last worked?
I can direct you to a download of the build from that time for testing...

It was working well in August for sure. If I get some time in the next day or two I'll experiment with the DLNA device.

amsco15

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2017, 06:55:15 am »

AndrewFG, I have SetNext enabled based upon your Media Renderer Analyser results (a very useful tool BTW).  I'll try disabling SetNext.  Just wondering if this issue would be picked upon by your Analyser or not.

Thanks so much for all your help around here!!

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2017, 07:45:09 am »

Normally I would advise to follow the recommendations of the DMRA. But from the symptoms you describe I have reasons to suspect that it may be worthwhile for you to try disabling SetNext support in this case..
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2017, 08:41:39 am »

(Note to bob: I am guessing that the renderer may be trying to preempt its track change event message in order to trick the server into a more “gapless” behavior, and it might just be trying too hard..)
It might be interesting here to try the controller option in MC to ignore transport events.
I sure would like to get my hands on one of these devices that's not working properly.

DJLegba

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2017, 11:18:12 am »

It has been working flawlessly for me all morning. I'm using 23.0.81 right now. My DLNA device is plugged into the router today. It's entirely possible my problems have been due to a sketchy WiFi repeater, as that is how I have been reaching the device most of the time.

amsco15

• World Citizen
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2017, 06:51:21 am »

I disabled SetNext all weekend.  This in spite of AndrewFG's DMRA's recommendation of enabling SetNext.  Transitions between songs was better with SetNext disabled.  Some of the transitions are still a bit startling/inconsistent but the last couple seconds of the ending song does not get cut off.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2017, 08:44:00 am »

I disabled SetNext all weekend.  This in spite of AndrewFG's DMRA's recommendation of enabling SetNext.  Transitions between songs was better with SetNext disabled.  Some of the transitions are still a bit startling/inconsistent but the last couple seconds of the ending song does not get cut off.
Can you try it with the "Ignore Transport Events" controller option set in MC?

amsco15

• World Citizen
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2017, 08:52:26 am »

Bob, Yes I can.  Should I leave SetNext disabled or enabled?  Trying one thing at a time.  I won't know the results of the experiment until next weekend.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2017, 09:19:48 am »

Bob, Yes I can.  Should I leave SetNext disabled or enabled?  Trying one thing at a time.  I won't know the results of the experiment until next weekend.
I would try it both ways.
Also if you can't do it until next weekend, update your build then. I changed some timing parameters that should be available by then.

amsco15

• World Citizen
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2017, 09:12:43 am »

All of my experiments are getting inconsistent results.  I’m now plagued with an inconsistent problem of tracks not changing to the next track at all.  The problem is consistently repaired by shutting down and reloading MC.  The error doesn’t seem to be connected to SetNext or ignore Transport event.  I’ve tried several combinations without a consistent result.  I am still on 23.81.  I didn’t see anything in the release notes of .82 that affected DLNA so I didn’t update.

The no track advance problem happened last night with disable SteNext and ignore Transport selected.  I unselected ignore Transport and the problem went away.  This morning, with no changes to MC, the problem occurs again.  I reloaded MC and the problem went away.

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2017, 06:32:45 am »

How do your devices get their IP addresses? Set your router to reserve specific IP addresses for both the renderer and for MC.

amsco15

• World Citizen
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2017, 12:04:34 pm »

AndrewFG, as always, thanks for your assistance.  I have both  MC server computer and renderer with fixed IPs.  Have had it set up this way for years.  Please note, my issues are minor.  Disabling SetNext Support has solved 95% of the weird song transitions.  They do still happen but not often enough to really fret over it and only happen when the songs switch data rates (i.e. 24/44.1 to 24/96 - all my PCM files are FLAC) or switching from FLAC to DSF.

This newer problem of tracks not advancing has happened four times now over a 4 to 5 week period (I play my system a lot).  It's not common but....  Since reloading MC has solved the problem two out of four times (unchecked Ignore Transport Events once - set to ignore as an experiment suggested by Bob- and had to reboot my renderer once), it's not a huge deal either.

amsco15

• World Citizen
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2017, 09:49:33 am »

Disabling SetNext resolves the abrupt track change issue to my satisfaction (close enough).  The problem that keeps returning is the tracks just stop advancing.  Just experienced this problem for the 5th time.  The tack advance bar runs up to the 5 second mark and returns to zero in a loop.

A re-load of MC fixes the problem.  But it keeps coming back.  Takes days of playing, different sessions, before it comes happens again.

RolandG

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2017, 02:57:38 am »

The problem that keeps returning is the tracks just stop advancing.  Just experienced this problem for the 5th time.  The track advance bar runs up to the 5 second mark and returns to zero in a loop.

I have the same problem with MC 23 for Mac, JRemote 3.25 and an Auralic Aries Mini as a renderer. All 3 controller options are set for the renderer. Yet still, the problem occurs. I have tried various combinations of the 3 options to no avail. Preliminary tests with different versions of MC 22 for Mac seem to indicate that these work and something changed in v23.
Pages: [1]   Go Up