INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver and McIntosh MHA100 setup help  (Read 3602 times)

DaniboY

• Recent member
JRiver and McIntosh MHA100 setup help
« on: November 22, 2017, 05:18:06 am »

Hi guys,

I’m new here so not sure if I’ve posted this in the right place as I’m still finding my way around here.

Anyway onto my question and this is seriously making me want to pull my hair out lol.

I have a mcintosh mha100 headphone amp, I have downloaded all the neccessary drivers from the mcintosh website and set it all up with my Windows 10 pc, sound plays through it and my headphones just fine.

Now mcintosh recommends I use JRiver to enable the best music decoding and file playback formats as well as give me access to all the windows spatial settings like dolby atmos for headphones etc, as with the amp just plugged in you don’t get any of these options available to you, you need jriver to enable them.

So heres my problem I have followed these instructions provided by McIntosh to a “T” they can be found here.

http://www.mcintoshlabs.com/us/Products/pages/ProductDetails.aspx?CatId=headphoneamplifiers&ProductId=MHA100&FileName=McintoshDocumentMaster/us/Mc-ASIO-JR20%203.pdf

At first jriver didn’t even show up in my sound settings so I had to click the “wdm driver” to get it to show and it did so all good.

So I downloaded jriver, set it as my default device in Windows 10 in the sound settings unchecked mcintosh usb speakers as default device as the instructions say to do, go through the speaker setup as per mcintosh’s instructions in the pdf I’ve linked above, click on the right and left speaker as per the instructions, no sound, go into jriver to play some music, no sound, follow the rabbit hole of help, tips and tricks online for the past 5 hours (seriously gonna cry soon hahaha) and still no sound.

But as soon as I enable the mcintosh usb speaker tab again in the windows 10 sound menu guess what? I get sound but lose all the jriver goodness as I cant run that as the default device any more.

Can somebody, anybody please help me?

Sorry for the long post but I have tried to be as thorough as I possibly can be to give you guys hopefully enough info to help me out, it’s probably just a small issue that’s easily resolved but I just can’t see it.

So please if anyone can help me that would be so greatly appreciated and thank you in advance.

My operating system : Windows 10 with the latest creators update and all updates are current.

Mcintosh windows drivers can be found here under the downloads tab as well as the instructions to this mess I posted the link to above:
http://www.mcintoshlabs.com/us/Products/pages/ProductDetails.aspx?CatId=headphoneamplifiers&ProductId=MHA100

Again, thanks so much for any help

DaniboY

• Recent member
Re: JRiver and McIntosh MHA100 setup help
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2017, 05:39:01 am »

I should add I have also tried setting the device to both Asio and Wasapi options in jriver and that it is connected via USB.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2017, 06:21:06 am »

Welcome to the forum.

You don't need WDM.  Uncheck it for now and reboot.  It's less complicated.

Then follow the audio setup guide here:
https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Audio_Setup

The drivers you installed may be 32 bit and you may be trying to use the 64 bit version of JRiver.  Download and install our 32 bit version if you can't find  any other way.  The drivers need to match.

Try setting JRiver to play to another device if possible.  This will tell you whether the driver is part of the problem or not.

DaniboY

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2017, 01:01:07 pm »

If I uncheck WDM driver and reboot jriver it will no longer show up in windows sound settings so you can’t default it or anything.

Spike1000

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2017, 01:05:08 pm »

In which case try installing the 32 bit version of MC as Jim said (assuming you are running the 64 bit version now).

Spike

DaniboY

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2017, 01:14:13 pm »

Welcome to the forum.

You don't need WDM.  Uncheck it for now and reboot.  It's less complicated.

Then follow the audio setup guide here:
https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Audio_Setup

The drivers you installed may be 32 bit and you may be trying to use the 64 bit version of JRiver.  Download and install our 32 bit version if you can't find  any other way.  The drivers need to match.

Try setting JRiver to play to another device if possible.  This will tell you whether the driver is part of the problem or not.

Sorry I should ad the version I downloaded is the one where you just hit the grey tab on the download page for jriver.

I notice under that there is another 64bit version is that what I should of downloaded?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2017, 02:23:35 pm »

If I uncheck WDM driver and reboot jriver it will no longer show up in windows sound settings so you can’t default it or anything.
That's OK.  It's just presenting JRiver as a driver for other programs.  You don't need that.

In Control Panel > Sounds, you can select a device and test it.  Once that works, JRiver will work if you select the same device in JRiver.

DaniboY

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2017, 02:38:25 pm »

That's OK.  It's just presenting JRiver as a driver for other programs.  You don't need that.

In Control Panel > Sounds, you can select a device and test it.  Once that works, JRiver will work if you select the same device in JRiver.

Ok so I have been on the phone to the very helpfull folks over at mcintosh and they have got it working for me.

The curious thing is the only way to get it working was disabling jriver in windows sound settings, enabling my mcintosh mha100 as the default device and making sure everything was set up in jriver correctly so now music plays through jriver no issues.

The problem now is that with mcintosh mha100 enabled as default device I stil have no access to the spatial settings to enable dolby atmos for headphones or even windows sonic sound 7.1 for headphones, they dont even show up for me.

However when I enable jriver as the default media device they do show up for me and allow me to use them, but with jriver enabled and the mcintosh usb device disabled no music plays at all through jriver.

So my question is, is their a way to enable dolby atmos for headphones through jriver program itself? I do a bit of gaming so enabling this is a must for me.

JRiver is feeding The mcintosh mha100 though so I have no clue whats going on lol.

I’m almost there, so close, yet so far. :(

DaniboY

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2017, 01:07:49 pm »

So does anyone know the answer?

So my question is, is their a way to enable dolby atmos for headphones through jriver program itself? I do a bit of gaming so enabling this is a must for me.

JRiver is feeding The mcintosh mha100 but no spatial settings appear for my mcintosh when enabled in sound, however when I enable jriver in sound settings it gives me all my spatial settings back which enables the use of dolby atmos amongst other settings but was told not to enable itas well as the mcintosh.
Pages: [1]   Go Up