INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC lost the "write" authority [Solved -- AV]  (Read 3543 times)

Ploutch

• Recent member
MC lost the "write" authority [Solved -- AV]
« on: December 16, 2017, 03:58:41 pm »

I can't figure out what happened but Windows (10) no longer gives MC the authority to write in the folder where is my library is stored. MC was smart enough to warn me that the database was now opened in read-only mode only so I did not loose any new entries.  Surprisingly, I have no problem in that folder with other applications (read and write), only MC is banned !

I fixed the problem by creating a new library from the backup in another folder that is not "locked" and everything came back to normal.  But I would like to be able to remove that "order" that MC should no longer be authorized to write in this folder (C:Music).  Any ideas on how to fix that?

ferday

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: MC lost the "write" authority
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2017, 05:49:09 pm »

right click the folder > properties and uncheck the box "read only"

you can also go into properties > security and change permissions if the above quick fix doesn't work

Ploutch

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2017, 04:19:31 pm »

Thanks for your answer.  I tried both and it didn't fix the problem. 

When I installed an other software I had a warning from Windows that did not stay long enough so I can read it correctly, but I had the time to see that for security purposes, Windows would deny access to.. I don't know exactly what !  So maybe it's at this moment that the damage occurred !  Anyways, my MC works great again with the new library at the new location, so I won't spend a lot of time in trying to find what happened and won't take too much of your time for this in the forum.

Best Regards

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2017, 11:19:53 am »

Antivirus software might cause that kind of problem.

Dinyar

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2018, 11:40:02 pm »

Hello,

I have JRiver 23, 64 bit version, running on Win10. I use it for Audio playback into my external DAC. The Audio files are mostly WAV and Hi Res Flac, located on an External 8TB USB drive.

When launching JRiver, I get this error message: "This database will be opened in read-only mode. Any changes will be lost when the program exits."

a. There is a Single instance of JRiver only.

b. All the Back up files in the Library folder Do NOT have a Read Only attribute. However, the Read Only Attribute on the folder just refuses to go away, whether defeated from Properties or  Properties / Securities.

c. Even disabling my Avast AntiVirus does not help.

SAME PROBLEM EARLIER
The USB cable from my PC to the external DAC sometimes has an erratic connection.
A month earlier, I had JRiver 23 working well, and the USB connection hiccuped. JRiver (expectedly) stalled and needed to be restarted. Since that incident, the Error message "This database will be opened in read-only mode. Any changes will be lost when the program exits" began.

I could cure it only be re installing JRiver.

Now exactly the same problem (JRiver stalled due to a erratic USB connection, and Read Only after restart) has reoccurred.

I need to resolve this, without having to re-install JRiver all over again ...  :-[ 

This problem ( Read Only Database) makes JRiver unusable since I cant add new music.... Have read past FAQs ... None of the suggestions resolve the problem.

Need HELP !    THANKS

~OHM~

• "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2018, 04:53:09 am »

^Dinyar
try using a different (new) USB cable of a higher quality. As Jim mentioned antivirus can cause such problems and as stated all over this site just disabling the antivirus most of the time is not enough, it needs to be unistalled if possible. The actual USB plug could be malfunctioning...if it's not a laptop install a new one.
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

davelr

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2018, 09:27:28 am »

This might be a red herring, but there were some new security protections issued in the 1709 update to Win 10. I can't remember if they were on by default, but one of them involves folder protections that might cause this behavior. I turned it on for a bit, but turned it back off as it was interfering a lot. I've attached a description of these new features from Susan Bradley (Windows Secrets update maven) describing them. Worth a try anyway.

~OHM~

• "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2018, 12:47:38 pm »

This might be a red herring, but there were some new security protections issued in the 1709 update to Win 10. I can't remember if they were on by default, but one of them involves folder protections that might cause this behavior. I turned it on for a bit, but turned it back off as it was interfering a lot. I've attached a description of these new features from Susan Bradley (Windows Secrets update maven) describing them. Worth a try anyway.
I bet you hit it...don't ya just love 10....I use 7....
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

Ploutch

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2018, 02:44:13 pm »

A ittle bit late to come back...

You got it right Jim: my problem was created by Windows Defender who decided that JRiver should now be considered as a dangerous intruder .. (don't ask me how in the hell this happened !!)  I included this folder in the Defender settings and the folder is now unlocked.

Thanks for your help !
Best regards

Dinyar

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2018, 10:03:57 pm »

^Dinyar
try using a different (new) USB cable of a higher quality. As Jim mentioned antivirus can cause such problems and as stated all over this site just disabling the antivirus most of the time is not enough, it needs to be unistalled if possible. The actual USB plug could be malfunctioning...if it's not a laptop install a new one.

Thanks, OM... I am using a fairly good ( Audioquest Coffee) USB Cable. the erratic contact happens maybe once a month... which is not too frequent, but having to re-install JRiver 23 once a month is not acceptable.

The Earlier versions of JRiver were resilient to such occasional issues. Why is JRiver 23 so intolerant ? Can it be corrected ? Its seems endemic to the program. (if ofcourse the problem is traced to the DAC getting disconnected while JRiver plays).

*Can someone at JRiver look into, please ?*

Dinyar

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2018, 10:12:18 pm »

^Dinyar
As Jim mentioned antivirus can cause such problems and as stated all over this site just disabling the antivirus most of the time is not enough, it needs to be unistalled if possible.

Operating my PC without an anti virus is not an option for me. :-[

Can JRiver offer a fix or patch, if this is a widespread issue, where the program's behavior mimics virus behavior ?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2018, 06:59:57 am »

Operating my PC without an anti virus is not an option for me. :-[

Can JRiver offer a fix or patch, if this is a widespread issue, where the program's behavior mimics virus behavior ?
We're not suggesting that you operate without antivirus, only that you remove it to test.  Then you will know whether it is the problem or not.

Antivirus problems aren't something JRiver can "fix".

Dinyar

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2018, 08:48:00 am »

^Dinyar
 as stated all over this site just disabling the antivirus most of the time is not enough, it needs to be unistalled if possible.

BINGO !

I disabled all the options in Windows defender ( even though it was dormant, while Avast was my In-use Anti Virus)

More Specificaly, I have turned off all Apps & Browser Controls.

All Exploit Protection Settings have been turned OFF.

( All Firewalls remain ON)

WORKED !

The Read Only message has disappeared.

Thanks for your pointer :-)

Lovely Weekend ..

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2018, 04:44:23 pm »

Thanks, OM... I am using a fairly good ( Audioquest Coffee) USB Cable. the erratic contact happens maybe once a month... which is not too frequent, but having to re-install JRiver 23 once a month is not acceptable.

The Earlier versions of JRiver were resilient to such occasional issues. Why is JRiver 23 so intolerant ? Can it be corrected ? Its seems endemic to the program. (if of course the problem is traced to the DAC getting disconnected while JRiver plays).

This is far more likely a USB Driver or USB Port hardware problem than a MC problem. Reinstalling MC probably just kicks the driver to allow a connection again. You could just be seeing it with MC23 because the problem raised its head around the time MC23 was installed. Do you still have MC22 installed, and if so, does it always work now? Of course you would have to use MC22 for a month or more to know, so that probably isn't a practical test.

Or maybe a DAC driver update is behaving badly.

If you haven't tried rebooting the PC twice when this happens, try it next time. If that doesn't work, try uninstalling and reinstalling the USB drivers for the port you are using. Of course, get the latest, or if they are a known issue, the best driver for your USB port.

I have a similar issue with a couple of USB ports on my monitor starting to go bad, where the symptoms are exactly like a disconnected cable. My monitor is very old, and suffers in the heat.

I also had driver problems with the NEC (now Renesas) based USB ports on my motherboard. They used to just decide to lose connections and not reconnect every now and then. I used to reinstall the drivers to get them working again, but now with later USB drivers that are provided in Windows 10, only a reboot is required, and that is very rare. Usually after some badly behaved USB hardware is connected.

So look into your USB connections, not the cable, rather than MC as a cause.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Dinyar

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2018, 10:09:34 pm »

Thanks for the insights.

However, as I have mentioned, in my case, the DAC and JRiver 23 continued to work .... but with the database in Read Only mode.

No issues with the USB port or drivers, at all.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2018, 12:47:00 am »

Fair enough.

My point though was that your "Read Only" problem wasn't a JRiver problem, but was a byproduct of something else. It still could have been the combination of Defender and your USB drivers, but by eliminating Defender from the situation, the problem no longer happens. It was almost just a coincidence that reinstalling MC fixed the problem, as it forced Defender to re-evaluate MC and give it back write access. More of a byproduct of the reinstall, rather than an actual fix.

Good that you have it working and are happier now.  8)
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner
Pages: [1]   Go Up