INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: SetNextAVTransport sanity check [Solved]  (Read 2133 times)

Scobie

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Looking Busy
SetNextAVTransport sanity check [Solved]
« on: December 31, 2017, 12:14:35 am »

Hi everyone.

I was having an issue well documented in here where one of my renderers - a JBL Authentic L8 - would only play the first album file, and then loop silently though the first 5 seconds of the file rather than advance to the next one in the playlist.

I was able to sort this by disabling the SetNextAVTransport setting for the JBL, as outlined in a few threads,  and it now works beautifully.

However whilst troubleshooting I ran AndrewFG's excellent Whitebear DMR Analyser and it gave the following:

AVT:SetNextAVTransportURI (gapless play)=Supported

So just for my own curiosity what effect does disabling this setting have since it appears to be supported on this device?

The only thing in the DMRA output that did seem problematic was this:

AVT:SyncPlay (synchronous play)=NOT Supported

Would that explain what I was seeing?

Thanks

Scobie

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: SetNextAVTransport sanity check
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2017, 02:07:54 am »

Sometimes devices advertise capabilities that don't work as advertised.

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2017, 02:18:06 am »

All UPNP devices have a self description mechanism by which they can report what services and methods they implement resp. support. Apparently your renderer includes SetNext in its list of “supported” methods.

However “supporting” a method unfortunately does not guarantee that it is properly implemented. In your case it probably means that MC can call the method, and it returns an HTTP 200 Ok response to MC. However it is not actually changing the players state in the right way.

The SyncPlay method is one which was added in v2 of the UPNP DMR specification, which should allow synchronized playing of tracks across multiple players for e.g. whole house audio. As far as I know, no manufacturer has implemented this yet. Not even JRiver..
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

Scobie

• MC Beta Team
  • Looking Busy
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2017, 03:55:25 pm »

Makes sense thanks guys.

HNY.

Scobie.

Mark_Chat

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2018, 09:15:44 am »

Hi everyone.

I was having an issue well documented in here where one of my renderers - a JBL Authentic L8 - would only play the first album file, and then loop silently though the first 5 seconds of the file rather than advance to the next one in the playlist.

I get a variant of this.
When I first wake my HTPC and stream over DLNA to my Sony SRS-X88, in JRemote I long-press an album and select play and it plays the first track of the album and then stops.

Then, I repeat the same manoeuvre and play the album again and this time it plays all the tracks.
I might see if this behaviour changes if I disable SetNextAVTransport, as it is currently selected as my Sony renderer supposedly supports it!

mattlovell

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2018, 10:56:20 am »

Sounds a lot like my "JRemote often plays just a single track" thread.

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,113253.msg790540.html#msg790540

Scobie

• MC Beta Team
  • Looking Busy
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2018, 06:56:59 pm »

However “supporting” a method unfortunately does not guarantee that it is properly implemented. In your case it probably means that MC can call the method, and it returns an HTTP 200 Ok response to MC. However it is not actually changing the players state in the right way.

The good people of Cambridge Audio must be following this thread. Applied a firmware update the other day on my CA AVR and as a result had to clear the previously checked "Disable SetNext Support" in order to play more then one track.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: SetNextAVTransport sanity check [Solved]
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2018, 07:03:37 pm »

Thanks for letting us know.
Pages: [1]   Go Up