INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC23 crashing when changing songs?  (Read 1899 times)

ivandzilo1

MC23 crashing when changing songs?
« on: January 02, 2018, 06:21:43 am »

Hey all, I'm new to the forum but I was hoping you guys could help me with this issue I've been having with MC23. The thing is, when I want to change songs while the previous one is still playing Media Center usually crashes and I have to start it again. It doesn't happen on every change but every now and then. I have to mention that my library is quite large (over 4500 albums) and it's located on my NAS storage. What could possibly be the reason this is happening?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: MC23 crashing when changing songs?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2018, 06:30:26 am »

That's not good.  4500 is no problem normally.

Try moving some files from the NAS to the internal drive and setting up a new library to import them.  What happens? 

NAS drives can have bugs.

Antivirus software can do odd things like this.

What version of MC?  What version of the OS?

ivandzilo1

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2018, 06:37:45 am »

Thanks for the quick reply, I'm using Windows 10 Pro and MC version is 23.0.91. I should mention that it used to happen on previous versions of MC as well, not just on the latest one. I don't have any antivirus software currently installed.

I will try copying some albums to my HDD as you suggested and see if it helps.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2018, 06:45:12 am »

You're probably running Windows Defender.  Please read this:
https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Taming_Windows_Defender

tyler69

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2018, 07:25:24 am »

Do you have memory playback activated? MC crashes for me on track change with memory playback on: https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,112686.0.html

ivandzilo1

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2018, 08:23:47 am »

I have setup Windows defender according to the instructions above. Will see if that helps and let you know.

As far as memory playback is concerned, YES I'm playing entire album from memory. I have read the post and will experiment with different settings to see if it will help.

Thanks for your quick reply guys.  :)

bean_counter

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2018, 09:20:49 am »

I have the same problem - but I determined it is likely driver/device related. 

I could switch between songs and albums while playing while using a Juli@ card, coax out to my Marantz SA8004, no problems at all.  But, using USB out to a Teac UD-503, it crashes every time.  I have to stop what I'm playing, then move to the next track.  If I'm using a remote (Gizmo or Panel), I have to pause a moment (just a second or two), as well.

Lots of grumbling on various boards about the Teac driver being buggy.  For me it's a bit of loss in functionality, but mostly just a work flow change to acclimate to.

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2018, 11:44:37 am »

I also have the problem (crash) on track change when Memory Playback is turned on. So I turned it off..
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

ivandzilo1

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2018, 04:05:50 pm »

After a few days of testing, it seems that MC crashes if loading full album into memory is selected. Setting this option to loading just one song fixes the issue for me. I haven't had any crashes so far.

I have 16GB of RAM onboard my PC. I've read on some of the earlier topics that this option is still experimental and that MC still can't utilize too much RAM, is this true? Could it be that it crashes when I load an album which is larger than the amount of RAM Media Center uses.

I've also installed the 64-bit version of MC.
Pages: [1]   Go Up