INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best way to copy files to another drive  (Read 8178 times)

rsg

• Galactic Citizen
Best way to copy files to another drive
« on: January 06, 2018, 04:33:35 pm »

Been wondering what is the best way to copy music files on to an external drive for use on a second computer that also runs MC23. Obviously, I would like to preserve all the metadata from the original file. Right now I am using Windows Explorer to drag and drop new files/albums, but I notice that it is not reliable: sometimes the album cover is missing on certain tracks or the song names are a little messed up.

~OHM~

• Citizen of the Universe
  • "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
Re: Best way to copy files to another drive
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2018, 05:04:58 pm »

then don't drag and drop....use copy and paste.....others will tell you to use the feature in MC Rename & move Files....but if the second pc is on the network...why not use server and client?
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

rsg

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2018, 06:19:38 pm »

then don't drag and drop....use copy and paste.....others will tell you to use the feature in MC Rename & move Files....but if the second pc is on the network...why not use server and client?
I keep the second computer offline as it is used only for music, so no server/client relationship...

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2018, 07:35:47 pm »

If you write the tags to the files, including cover art where possible, you can use Rename move and copy files to copy to the new destination, or do it in Windows Explorer. Then the information should show up on the other computer's MC

rsg

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2018, 12:11:08 am »

I copied 10 albums on to the 2nd computer's external drive today. 6 albums = no problem. 4 albums = most of the tracks were dumped into 'unassigned' where they had no album or artist name. All of the song tracks also included artist name, such as 'Bruce Springsteen - Racing on the Street' instead of just track name. I had to manually go in and fill in stuff like album/artist/date to get the songs moved over into the right album and then delete artist name from track name. It's all doable, but wish it went more smoothly for every album. Anyone know why some tracks of an album are dumped into 'unassigned' while one or two tracks do show up in the right place with all the metadata?

MikeO

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2018, 12:41:33 am »

I use An app SyncBack to keep my main pc and several external usb drives in sync

I never have issues with metadata

Mike

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2018, 01:39:04 am »

Anyone know why some tracks of an album are dumped into 'unassigned' while one or two tracks do show up in the right place with all the metadata?

Because the tags weren't written to the files in question, but were only stored in the MC Library fields. There are some situations where a tag in a file won't be overwritten even when you want it to, or the file format doesn't support storing tags, but it sounds like you are talking only about audio files, so they should all be capable of storing tags except WAV files, which can store tags but not always in a readable format. However even with WAV file, if you are using the latest version of MC, and you write the tags using MC, they should also be successfully read by another instance of MC.

Procedure to transfer media from one PC to an external disk for use with another PC.

Assuming that the MC installation on the second PC is a new installation, then this is how you do what you want.

1. Start again. Make sure you have all your files on PC 1. Delete the stuff you have already copied to the external drive.

2. Select all files in your library and run the "Update Tags (from library)" library tool over them. This will take quite some time, and is just in case. You should have those tags in the files anyway, to avoid future issues.

3. Turn off Auto Import in MC on PC 1. "Options > Library & Folders > Auto-import" Uncheck "Run auto-import in background".

4. Backup the library on PC 1 manually. Note where it is going to be stored. Give the ZIP file a name that you will readily recognise.

5. Copy the Library Backup you just made to the external drive. Store it in a suitable place, not in with your media files. A separate directory makes sense.

6. Find your Cover Art directory. It will be located in the directory defined under  "Options > File Location > Cover Art > Folder". Copy that directory to the external drive as well, into a suitable location.

7. Copy and Paste the complete directory structure holding your audio/media files from PC 1 to the external drive. As above, do not drag and drop, although that should give you the option to Copy rather than Move. Make an explicit choice by using Copy & Paste. This will take a long time, so expect it to do so. It will stress your hard disks quite a lot, but that should be fine. There are applications that make this sort of copy foolproof, and allow stopped copy processes to be recommenced. i.e. SyncBack. Google such things if you wish to use one. Otherwise, make sure the PC isn't going to be shut down, or lose power, or be interrupted for any other reason, and just use Windows Copy and Paste.

8. Move the external drive to PC 2. Make sure it is visible and working.

9. If all your media files on PC 1 were stored on the D: drive originally, for example, and that drive letter is not used already on PC 2, optionally change the external drive letter of the external drive to D: (or whatever it was on PC 1). This can be done using the Windows Disk Management application, under the "Action > All Tasks > Change Drive Letter and Paths" menu. If in doubt, Google it. There are other methods and tools that can do this, but the Disk Management application is already installed. External drives will sometimes be given a different drive letter when they are disconnected and later reconnected to a PC. There are ways to ensure that the same drive letter is always assigned, and that is important for your MC installation on PC 2. If you have this problem, Google it, or search these forums, or ask again if you can't find the answer.
If your media file were originally on the "C:" drive on PC 1, which you obviously can't change the external drive letter to on PC 2 as it is the Windows boot disk, change the external drive letter to "M:" on PC 2. Trust me. It will make things easier later.

10. Copy the Cover Art directory to PC 2 if you want the Cover Art to be stored there. You could leave it on the external drive if you want to, and just tell MC where it is now. If you copy it to PC 2, put it in a sensible place. Perhaps in the same location as it was on PC 1. The default location is "C:\Users\[UserID]\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 23\Cover Art\"

11. Start MC on PC 2, and let it load the default (main) library. Stop any import countdown in the Action Window (bottom left of MC) if it starts. This library is going to be trashed. You have done some work in it, so you should backup this library, just in case this procedure hits a problem. As always, save and name the backup so that you can easily find it.

12. Restore the MC backup you created on PC 1 to PC 2.

13. If you didn't have an identical location for the Cover Art on PC 2 to what it used to be on PC 1, change the location now in this new library under  "Options > File Location > Cover Art > Folder".

14. If you were not able to set the external drive letter when connected to PC 2 to the same drive letter that stored your media files were stored in on PC 1, you will need to update the drive letter that MC looks for media files in this library now. Use the Rename, Move, & Copy Files function.
Use a View to select all media files in the library.
Launch the Rename, Move, & Copy Files function.
Untick the "Directories" and "Filename" check boxes, and tick the "Find & Replace" checkbox in that function.
If your media file were originally on the "C:" drive, and you changed the external drive letter to "M:" on PC 2 as above, then you need to put C: in the "Find What:" field, and M: in the "Replace With:" field.
When you click OK, the library will be updated to look at the new location of the external drive. You can do the whole library at once, since you still have a backup of the library from PC 1. This may take some time, but should be pretty quick compared to the file copying and tag updates above.

15. You should now have a working MC installation on PC2, with access to all your media files, which should play correctly. If so, turn on Auto Import in MC on PC 2, "Options > Library & Folders > Auto-import" Check "Run auto-import in background".

You are now done.

If you add new files added to PC 1 in future, make sure that the tags are written to the files. Use the "Update Tags (from library)" function it be sure, then just copy the media files plus any Sidecar and Cover Art files across to the external drive into the correct locations, and let Auto Import run to find them.

There have been threads discussing the above transfer process, and how to maintain the two installations, in the recent past. The above consolidates my thoughts on the initial transfer. Search the forum for ideas on how to maintain the two installations, as some people do it a little differently, using network copies for example. (EDIT: For example MikeO's suggested to use SyncBack.) But do follow the procedure above to get a clean transfer and start on PC 2.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2018, 06:15:49 am »

Thanks very much, RoderickGI.  I added a footnote to the wiki topic:

Moving Files

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2018, 02:56:26 pm »

You're welcome Jim.

It is a question that has been several times recently, with long-winded threads that are a bit spotty. My process isn't the only way, and maybe not the best in all situations, but for someone who isn't sure how to proceed it should be a straight forward process. In understanding the instructions a new user will learn more about MC as well.

I added a link to your footnote.  ;D
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

rsg

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2018, 05:58:10 pm »

Is running 'Update Tags (from library)' something that should be done as a matter of course after ripping CDs to make sure everything is as it should be (talking about ALAC files here)?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2018, 06:37:11 pm »

If you are ripping using MC, with its internal ALAC encoder, and the data is available in the MC Library then I would expect that the tags are saved to the file correctly. So you shouldn't have to separately run the "Update Tags (from library)" function. There have been some discussions around issues with ALAC though. I use FLAC, so don't have experience with those issues.

If you had to or have run the MC "Lookup Tag Info From Online Database" function, then I would also expect tags to be written correctly to the file.

If the files were ripped with some other tool, it may or may not write the tags so that they are readable by MC on a new installation on a second PC.

You can check what tags are saved in a file using the "Tag Dump" section of the MC Tag window. With FLAC files tags are written to a Vorbis Comment Block by MC when ripped using MC, and these are shown in the Tag Dump.

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2018, 10:49:23 pm »

RoderickGI - Thanks very much for your excellent write up. In the past I have had some difficulties in copying very large audio collections. It should be a simple process using Windows Explorer, but it isn't always. The glitch that got me most often was file paths being too long.

In frustration I did a lot of Googling and ended up purchasing GS Rich Copy 360. It's designed and used for copying huge amounts of files by large corporations. It was a bit annoying paying for something that the OS should accomplish, but the end results warranted my purchase. I know there are some other solutions such as SynBack that may be free, but I just wanted something that I knew would work perfectly.

http://www.gurusquad.com/GSRichCopy360/GSRICHCOPY360  I have no connection with the company - just a satisfied user.

Cheers,
Rod

rsg

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2018, 06:04:15 pm »

Wow...thanks for a very detailed response. The thing is, I am not copying large amounts of data, just a few albums (up to 10) at a time. So, I am looking for a simple procedure. Windows Explorer works to copy files on to the second external drive, but with some errors...missing album cover for some tracks but not all, other changes too...the genre field 'rock' might be changed to 'date' or every track is listed with the performer and track name rather than just the track name. One thing I am wondering...maybe WE is still writing data when I disconnect the drive. I am going by when the blue light stops flashing on the second drive, but I should do a safe eject. I tried that with one triple album today and it worked fine.

UPDATE: Windows Explorer drag and drop does work perfectly! Just be careful that it has really finished copying files over. I just copied ten albums on to a second external drive by dragging, for instance, the album Nebraska into the Bruce Springsteen folder on the second drive. All perfect...track names, album artwork etc. This is probably quite obvious to all of you out there, but I have seen some very complicated explanations of how to copy files when in reality it is very simple when done right.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2018, 04:58:03 pm »

Is running 'Update Tags (from library)' something that should be done as a matter of course after ripping CDs to make sure everything is as it should be (talking about ALAC files here)?

If this was a regular issue it seems there was a problem and it has been fixed. Look for it in an upcoming public release.

23.0.94 (1/12/2018)
10. Fixed: File tagging following CD ripping wasn't working.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2018, 05:10:46 pm »

That build is at the top of the MC23 board now.

Bohemian

• World Citizen
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2018, 02:57:14 pm »

Having recently inadvertently deleted my entire music library, thankfully after backing it up a few days earlier, I followed your instructions above to restore my secong pc and it works fine.  Thanks so much!

Davidhe19

• Recent member
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2019, 02:08:40 pm »

Thank you very much for the detailed guidance.  I tried to move my entire library from a HDD to a NAS.  I encountered the following problems:

1). I cannot locate Cover Art directory.  I identified its location in MC 24.  But when I am using Find in MacBook, i cannot physically see it, therefore, I cannot copy it and past it at different location. 

2). Besides Cover Art directory, I also see the Thumbnail Director and Setting Directory every time I create new library.  Are these two directories important as well? 

3). When I establish a new library in second PC, how to I reestablish the connection to Cover Art, Thumbnail, and setting directories, I assumed I can identify where these directories are and copy those directories into the second computer?

Thank you very much.

Best regards,

David

Because the tags weren't written to the files in question, but were only stored in the MC Library fields. There are some situations where a tag in a file won't be overwritten even when you want it to, or the file format doesn't support storing tags, but it sounds like you are talking only about audio files, so they should all be capable of storing tags except WAV files, which can store tags but not always in a readable format. However even with WAV file, if you are using the latest version of MC, and you write the tags using MC, they should also be successfully read by another instance of MC.

Procedure to transfer media from one PC to an external disk for use with another PC.

Assuming that the MC installation on the second PC is a new installation, then this is how you do what you want.

1. Start again. Make sure you have all your files on PC 1. Delete the stuff you have already copied to the external drive.

2. Select all files in your library and run the "Update Tags (from library)" library tool over them. This will take quite some time, and is just in case. You should have those tags in the files anyway, to avoid future issues.

3. Turn off Auto Import in MC on PC 1. "Options > Library & Folders > Auto-import" Uncheck "Run auto-import in background".

4. Backup the library on PC 1 manually. Note where it is going to be stored. Give the ZIP file a name that you will readily recognise.

5. Copy the Library Backup you just made to the external drive. Store it in a suitable place, not in with your media files. A separate directory makes sense.

6. Find your Cover Art directory. It will be located in the directory defined under  "Options > File Location > Cover Art > Folder". Copy that directory to the external drive as well, into a suitable location.

7. Copy and Paste the complete directory structure holding your audio/media files from PC 1 to the external drive. As above, do not drag and drop, although that should give you the option to Copy rather than Move. Make an explicit choice by using Copy & Paste. This will take a long time, so expect it to do so. It will stress your hard disks quite a lot, but that should be fine. There are applications that make this sort of copy foolproof, and allow stopped copy processes to be recommenced. i.e. SyncBack. Google such things if you wish to use one. Otherwise, make sure the PC isn't going to be shut down, or lose power, or be interrupted for any other reason, and just use Windows Copy and Paste.

8. Move the external drive to PC 2. Make sure it is visible and working.

9. If all your media files on PC 1 were stored on the D: drive originally, for example, and that drive letter is not used already on PC 2, optionally change the external drive letter of the external drive to D: (or whatever it was on PC 1). This can be done using the Windows Disk Management application, under the "Action > All Tasks > Change Drive Letter and Paths" menu. If in doubt, Google it. There are other methods and tools that can do this, but the Disk Management application is already installed. External drives will sometimes be given a different drive letter when they are disconnected and later reconnected to a PC. There are ways to ensure that the same drive letter is always assigned, and that is important for your MC installation on PC 2. If you have this problem, Google it, or search these forums, or ask again if you can't find the answer.
If your media file were originally on the "C:" drive on PC 1, which you obviously can't change the external drive letter to on PC 2 as it is the Windows boot disk, change the external drive letter to "M:" on PC 2. Trust me. It will make things easier later.

10. Copy the Cover Art directory to PC 2 if you want the Cover Art to be stored there. You could leave it on the external drive if you want to, and just tell MC where it is now. If you copy it to PC 2, put it in a sensible place. Perhaps in the same location as it was on PC 1. The default location is "C:\Users\[UserID]\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 23\Cover Art\"

11. Start MC on PC 2, and let it load the default (main) library. Stop any import countdown in the Action Window (bottom left of MC) if it starts. This library is going to be trashed. You have done some work in it, so you should backup this library, just in case this procedure hits a problem. As always, save and name the backup so that you can easily find it.

12. Restore the MC backup you created on PC 1 to PC 2.

13. If you didn't have an identical location for the Cover Art on PC 2 to what it used to be on PC 1, change the location now in this new library under  "Options > File Location > Cover Art > Folder".

14. If you were not able to set the external drive letter when connected to PC 2 to the same drive letter that stored your media files were stored in on PC 1, you will need to update the drive letter that MC looks for media files in this library now. Use the Rename, Move, & Copy Files function.
Use a View to select all media files in the library.
Launch the Rename, Move, & Copy Files function.
Untick the "Directories" and "Filename" check boxes, and tick the "Find & Replace" checkbox in that function.
If your media file were originally on the "C:" drive, and you changed the external drive letter to "M:" on PC 2 as above, then you need to put C: in the "Find What:" field, and M: in the "Replace With:" field.
When you click OK, the library will be updated to look at the new location of the external drive. You can do the whole library at once, since you still have a backup of the library from PC 1. This may take some time, but should be pretty quick compared to the file copying and tag updates above.

15. You should now have a working MC installation on PC2, with access to all your media files, which should play correctly. If so, turn on Auto Import in MC on PC 2, "Options > Library & Folders > Auto-import" Check "Run auto-import in background".

You are now done.

If you add new files added to PC 1 in future, make sure that the tags are written to the files. Use the "Update Tags (from library)" function it be sure, then just copy the media files plus any Sidecar and Cover Art files across to the external drive into the correct locations, and let Auto Import run to find them.

There have been threads discussing the above transfer process, and how to maintain the two installations, in the recent past. The above consolidates my thoughts on the initial transfer. Search the forum for ideas on how to maintain the two installations, as some people do it a little differently, using network copies for example. (EDIT: For example MikeO's suggested to use SyncBack.) But do follow the procedure above to get a clean transfer and start on PC 2.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2019, 05:23:56 pm »

0). My writeup above was for moving from one PC to another PC. While you might learn from it, that isn't what you are trying to do.

First, a definition or two. "Library", in MC terms, is a set of index files that contain information about the media files you own. "Media Files" are the actual music, video, image, etc. files that you own, and want to show in the MC Library.
Your Library (index files) should always remain on the PC that is running MC, and on a fast disk or SSD by preference. Your Media Files can be anywhere that MC can see, in order to import and manage the files. So in your case, on your NAS, once you have moved them.

Read the "Rename, Move, & Copy Files" Wiki article to learn how to move your media files from your PC to your NAS. There have also been a lot of threads of how to do that easily, using the "Find & Replace" functionality in the RM&CF function. Search.

1). I no longer use OSX or any Apple product, so I can't advise why you can't see the Cover Art directory. No doubt it is there, probably hidden. You could leave the Cover Art directory on your PC (MacBook) if you have space, which would just make MC work faster. But you can move it to the NAS if you wish. To do so, simply go into the settings and change the location of the Cover Art directory. MC will then move all the files, whether you can see the directory or not. Well, it should, and does in a Windows environment; it copies the files to the new location and then deletes the old location. Make sure that your Cover Art is in a sub-directory, and not the root directory of any disk, because MC will delete everything in the Cover Art directory, including any programs, operating system, or anything else it might find. You will need to create the new target location, but you can do that through the Browse and New Folder function in the dialogue used to change the location.

2). The Thumbnail and Settings directories should be left on the PC that is running MC. Do not move them to your NAS.

3). What? You said you were moving your Library to a NAS, not another PC. When you connect from a MC Client PC to a MC Server PC, MC takes care of the Cover Art. It builds a Thumbnails database on the Client PC, which is what it mostly uses, and when required the MC Server will serve Cover Art to the MC Client. You don't need to identify those directories on the MC Server for a MC Client to work. Settings, as above, belong to the PC on which MC is installed. You don't copy them between PCs. If you were moving the actual Library (index files) from one PC to another, then doing a Library Backup on the source PC, and then a Library Restore on the target PC, will give you the option of restoring settings as well as the index files.

Read the Media Network Wiki article.

Davidhe19

• Recent member
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2019, 06:42:57 am »

Thank you very much for your detailed explanation again.  They are very helpful.  You clarified some importance concepts which were not very obvious to me after I read some of the articles on wiki. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up