INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Zones on the Id  (Read 1733 times)

DavidMW

• World Citizen
Zones on the Id
« on: January 07, 2018, 11:43:07 am »

I am rarely able to get MC on the Id to work for me when I connect the Chord Mojo DAC to the Id. This was a line of discussion on a different thread (https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,111651.0.html) and I thought best to start a new one here as this really is a different topic.

I was advised to explore Zones in order to create one configuration for the Mojo and another when the Mojo is not connected to the Id. Despite best efforts, I still achieve success only a fraction of the time, yet I can't explain why that is. The reply I get can be found at: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1noRcQWkZ1h8CCEBYGLVFqzI4DLT-KZcT/view?usp=sharing

Further, I am not fully able to understand zones and the DSP. Is there any more detailed guidance than what can be found on the wiki? I'd really like to figure this out so 1) I can make the Mojo work for me, and 2) to better understand some of the inner workings of MC.

Thanks for any guidance.

DavidMW

• World Citizen
Re: Zones on the Id
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2018, 04:45:27 am »

Hello? Any suggested path forward?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2018, 06:28:35 am »

The wiki topic on zones is good.  You could try setting up two zones with a single device that does work (sound on motherboard, for example) and try using them.

The error message you're getting is probably correct.  The DAC may accept only certain formats or may have trouble switching.  You can use MC's DSP Studio > Output Settings to convert everything to a format that works.

DavidMW

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2018, 07:23:13 am »

I've spent a lot of time researching this on the forum and other sites.  MC and the Chord Mojo are working for me this morning  :) although I can't explain why or what has changed. Nevertheless, I'm pleased that it is working.

I've been looking at and trying to understand Zones and Zone Switch. As I understand it, I can set Audio Device for the: Mojo (Audio Device: "front:CARD=Mojo,DEV=0 [ALSA] Mojo, USB Audio, Front Speakers" (I was previously advised that is the preferred setting for the Mojo) and a separate configuration for the Id without the Mojo (Audio Device: default:CARD=PCH [ALSA] HDA Intel PCH, ALC283 Analog, Default Audio Device".

When I go to Zone, I can add a new zone, which I did for the "Mojo" and the "Player" with each linked to Audio Device - Device Settings. I then went into ZoneSwitch, where I added a zone for the Chord Mojo and another for the Player with a Display Name for the Chord Mojo and the Player and each linked to the zone selected from "Play in this zone". I think I on the right track. Can someone confirm that?

I also want to explore more about DSP. That will be next. Thanks.

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2018, 11:31:26 am »

I've spent a lot of time researching this on the forum and other sites.  MC and the Chord Mojo are working for me this morning  :) although I can't explain why or what has changed. Nevertheless, I'm pleased that it is working.

I've been looking at and trying to understand Zones and Zone Switch. As I understand it, I can set Audio Device for the: Mojo (Audio Device: "front:CARD=Mojo,DEV=0 [ALSA] Mojo, USB Audio, Front Speakers" (I was previously advised that is the preferred setting for the Mojo) and a separate configuration for the Id without the Mojo (Audio Device: default:CARD=PCH [ALSA] HDA Intel PCH, ALC283 Analog, Default Audio Device".

When I go to Zone, I can add a new zone, which I did for the "Mojo" and the "Player" with each linked to Audio Device - Device Settings. I then went into ZoneSwitch, where I added a zone for the Chord Mojo and another for the Player with a Display Name for the Chord Mojo and the Player and each linked to the zone selected from "Play in this zone". I think I on the right track. Can someone confirm that?

I also want to explore more about DSP. That will be next. Thanks.
This sounds correct to me.
Pages: [1]   Go Up