INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: would this mini PC work?  (Read 2163 times)

b00ter

• Recent member
would this mini PC work?
« on: February 24, 2018, 08:19:08 am »

trying to get my uncle setup with jriver (not a techie at all).

He just wants to listen to his music he ripped from CD's on a hard drive. I have that all setup already and now looking for the server/client interface.

He has some limitations as he has amplifier in the kitchen in a small cupboard so space is limited and heat could be an issue. I was looking at a laptop originally but came across these mini PC

https://www.amazon.ca/Extendable-x5-Z8350-Expansion-2-5-Inch-Dual-Band/dp/B076D76Z7L/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1519481084&sr=8-3&keywords=mini+pc&dpID=41dQ6nNKM9L&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

has anyone used them with success before? I would only be doing flac/mp3 playback on the unit. He will be using his ipad for control. I want to keep it as simple as possible.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: would this mini PC work?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2018, 08:39:30 am »

You put an Id next to the amplifier:
https://jriver.com/Id/

b00ter

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2018, 09:51:29 am »

What about the main server / library? Would a nuc be a better option than his listed mini pc? The audio end point isn’t a priority right now but good to know it’s easy to achieve.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2018, 09:57:00 am »

What about the main server / library?
I'm not sure what you're asking.

As I understand it, you have audio files on an existing computer and you want to play them on the receiver.  A DLNA Renderer (what you call an end point, I think) can be placed next to the receiver.   

The Id can do that.  So can many other devices.

b00ter

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2018, 10:33:37 am »

At this point I Don’t have any hardware at all just a harddrive with music on it, so I’m looking from a scratch point of view to get up and running then add a render for another point later on
Pages: [1]   Go Up