INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Default library question  (Read 2794 times)

zonka

• World Citizen
Default library question
« on: March 26, 2018, 03:53:23 pm »

This could be real basic and I just don't understand (very likely).  What is the "default library"?  In startup options there is a checkbox for "Always load default library".  So what is the default library and can I change what the default library is?
I have MC running as a server on one machine and as a client on another - do I need to have the default library be the same on both machines?

Thanks

tij

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Default library question
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2018, 04:30:02 am »

You import your media into libraries ... option for that are [File]->[Library]->[Library Manager...]

Obviously you can have multiple libraries set up on one machine (maybe you want to keep music separate from movies ... something like that ... personally I have just one library for everything)

Its possible to have one machine hosting main library ... and other machine use that library through network  ... so you only have to maintain one library (alternatively each machine can have their own library) ... possibilities are limitless
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
Screen: LG 2016 E6
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

tij

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2018, 04:34:46 am »

Forgot to answer question lol ... default library is the library you tell MC to use when MC starts up
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

thecrow

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2018, 09:35:38 am »

Forgot to answer question lol ... default library is the library you tell MC to use when MC starts up

How do you tell MC which library to use on start up?

~OHM~

• "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2018, 02:46:10 pm »

How do you tell MC which library to use on start up?
Close MC on the library you want it to start up on.
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

thecrow

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2018, 03:06:56 pm »

Close MC on the library you want it to start up on.

That is just opening up the last library you used, it's not really a default library is it?
If I tick the box the OP referred to "Always load default library" on my system it loads up a local library called Main, how do I change that to load a different library?
e.g. I use a client-server setup at home, how do I set my client to also load the server library regardless of what library I had open when I closed MC?

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2018, 03:18:14 pm »

e.g. I use a client-server setup at home, how do I set my client to also load the server library regardless of what library I had open when I closed MC?
a client-server setup means an MC instance that always accesses the library of its server so the first question here would be what are those other libraries? I don't mean to digress from the question of "how do I mark a particular library as the default?" as that seems a reasonable request to me (and one that also applies to something like jremote) but thought I'd ask that question in case it's possible there is another way around this issue for you.

~OHM~

• "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2018, 03:24:47 pm »

That is just opening up the last library you used, it's not really a default library is it?
If I tick the box the OP referred to "Always load default library" on my system it loads up a local library called Main, how do I change that to load a different library?
Sorry. I read the question as it was written. Not the question of how to change the default library. That was not the question.
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

tij

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2018, 09:54:44 pm »

Looking at past thread ... don't think you can tell MC which library is default lol

A work around was described by @RoderickGI in https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=103629.msg722731#msg722731

You can achieve the intent of what you want here by modifying the MC Windows Icon/Shortcut properties, adding a Command Line Switch of '/Library "your library name"' to open the library you want, either the Server Library, or the Local Library.

Edit the Icon Shortcut Target from: "C:\Program Files (x86)\J River\Media Center 21\Media Center 21.exe"

Change the Icon Shortcut Target To: "C:\Program Files (x86)\J River\Media Center 21\Media Center 21.exe" /Library "your library name"

The icon will then launch MC and open the library specified.

I recommend that you copy the original desktop icon a couple of times, and edit one to start as a Client of the HTPC, and the other to start as a stand alone MC instance using the local library. Name each desktop icon something meaningful for your family users.

Does that help?

[\quote]

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2018, 12:47:56 am »

The Default Library is created when you install MC, and is always (on Windows) found in the location "C:\Users\UserID\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 23\Library". You can't change that. If you moved that library, or deleted it, there simply wouldn't be a Default Library anymore. That may cause problems, or MC may just create a new Default Library. I've never tried doing that.

You can, however, make the Default Library your regular library, if you have another library that you have been using in another location. Just backup your regular library, switch to the Default Library, and then restore the backup you just made. Of course, you can't do that when you are using a Client library connected to a Server. It wouldn't make sense to even try. The default library is and must always be a local library.

When a PC is used as a Client, it has a copy of the Server library, and that is stored in a different location. Specifically, "C:\Users\UserID\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 23\Connected Library".

There is some information in the Wiki: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Library_Manager
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

thecrow

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2018, 03:53:10 am »

Sorry. I read the question as it was written. Not the question of how to change the default library. That was not the question.
The thread is about the default library.
In my post I quoted a comment that said "default library is the library you tell MC to use when MC starts up" hence my question.
Maybe you did not read the thread before answering?

Pages: [1]   Go Up