INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Acquiring Photos...  I Heed Help  (Read 1083 times)

sraymond

Acquiring Photos...  I Heed Help
« on: June 16, 2003, 10:42:32 am »

JRiver and fellow MCers:  I need some help.

I have a Kodak DX4330 digital camera - and let me say, first off, I don't recommend Kodak cameras to anyone buy my enemies.  I just spent about two hours with tech support.  The problem:  I wish the camera would show up as a removable drive (vice a hard drive) with Windows XP using the Kodak drivers.  The first guy I talked to was understanding - he knew what I wanted and why.  But he couldn't get it to work.  He had me try a few things on my own and said to call back if it didn't work - they'd "elevate" the problem.  Well, it didn't work, and when I called back to elevate, I was basically told this:

So long as the camera is somehow accessible to the OS, Kodak doesn't care how kludgy it is.  If you don't like it, use Kodak's Easyshare (which will interface with the camera just fine).  End of choice.

I'm amazed that they think it's normal for a camera to show up as a "hard drive".  "Removable drives" are the ticket because of "autoplay" - I can have any application I wish launched when the removable drive (camera) is detected.

OK...  so here's the help I'm looking for:  Using the Windows XP WIA drivers, the camera shows up as a "Scanners and Cameras" item.  MC has no problem acquiring the images.  There is a dialog box that asks what I want to do when the camera is first detected.  Unfortunately, the list of "events" doesn't include MC.  All the other big name photo management software have entries in the list of events (they were added when I installed the software).  

And so:  How can I add MC to the list of events?  Can JRiver add themselves to the events during installation?

Thanks...

Scott-

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Acquiring Photos...  I Heed Help
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2003, 10:50:50 am »

Scott,
We looked into it a month or two ago.  It isn't simple.  We'll do it eventually, but right now you need to start MC manually and do File/Acquire from MC.

sraymond

Re: Acquiring Photos...  I Heed Help
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2003, 11:09:34 am »

JimH,

Thanks for the reply...  I really appreciate it, as it means I should stop trying to do this on my own.  I was starting to go crazy!

I can certainly wait a few months.

Scott-
Pages: [1]   Go Up