INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver should focus ...  (Read 1048 times)

RayDiant

• Junior Woodchuck
JRiver should focus ...
« on: April 15, 2018, 07:12:22 pm »

I am a big JRiver fan. It is my go to app for all my audio and video media. Nothing I have seen comes close to giving me what I want.

JRiver needs to think about its business model. You guys need to stop focusing on features (MC24 for Windows) and starting thinking about getting Media Center working on lots of different platforms.

Recently I have set up my PS3 to be a video renderer. I tried using JRiver and DLNA but the results were not good - some 1080p DTS audio movies would only come through as 720p stereo. I tried the forums and many permutations and combinations, nothing worked. Even if there is a configuration that works, it is too hard. As a last resort I tried using Plex. Installed on my PC (just like JRiver Media Center) but Plex has a PS3 app. The video all worked really well. Easy. But I just don't like Plex or I just don't want to learn a new app when have one that meets my needs and I don't want to run two servers.

Gizmo just doesn't cut it. JRemote is ok but is too different from JRiver native and has some limitations. In the future (read: when I can afford it) I plan to get a good 4k TV with a nice sound system with a dedicated media streamer for my online content (I watch NHL hockey live quite a bit) and my stored content. I want to use JRiver but I am afraid that if I buy a NVidia Shield (for example) it will have limited functionality using JRiver (like my PS3 does now). I want to be able to use JRiver on all my devices as renderers and controllers.

JRiver should focus on making sure that Media Center works on just about every platform; Sony, Samsung, Panasonic, LG... TVs; Android devices, Apple devices, media streamers like Shield or gameboxes like Xbox or PS9s (and 8,7,6,5,4,and 3). And of course Windows. Make the experience of getting these things working together simple. Make the interface as consistent as possible (of course an iPhone won't look like what's on my 65" TV).

You could even keep the server based on Windows or Mac and have the controllers connect to these. I think this should be the focus of your business going forward. Not an addendum or plaything like JRemote or Gizmo.

Mark

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: JRiver should focus ...
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2018, 07:21:07 pm »

Why follow Nvidia or Sony when you can follow JRiver?

You might take a look at the JRiver Id and Panel.

hoyt

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2018, 07:48:03 pm »

Well, I think Mark makes a valid point, and it happens to be one I agree with.

I find my go-to with my TV now is Roku.  It has an app for everything I need, besides JRiver.  There's  YouTubeTV app, a Netflix app, an Amazon Prime Video app, etc.  I hit a button on my remote and it turns on that 'thing' and I'm ready to go.  I use JRiver for my own content and everything on my laptop on the go (music).

JRiver's approach is more like "here are our web-services, go build your own thing."  I assume that is because the developers are small in number and the focus has been on the core.  Having the strong core product is what has brought customers to JRiver to date.  JRiver has mostly relied on outside community sources for the non-desktop platform support (there are 3 'remote' apps that I'm aware of).  Plex has used a different approach, building the apps to try to bring people to its core product.  I for one, would not mind seeing more platform support from JRiver, but I could also go out and try to build an app for Roku myself.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2018, 08:14:30 pm »

JRiver's approach is more like "here are our web-services, go build your own thing." 
I don't think we've said that.
I assume that is because the developers are small in number and the focus has been on the core.
The server is the heart of what we do, but it now runs on Windows, OSX, and Linux.  Not a small task to do. 

We've spent a lot of time on network features.  Remotes are just one of those.
  Having the strong core product is what has brought customers to JRiver to date.  JRiver has mostly relied on outside community sources for the non-desktop platform support (there are 3 'remote' apps that I'm aware of). 
I think there are five or six.  We've done Gizmo, Panel, and part of JRemote.  MC itself makes a good remote.  There are several more.
Plex has used a different approach, building the apps to try to bring people to its core product.  I for one, would not mind seeing more platform support from JRiver, but I could also go out and try to build an app for Roku myself.
We're not trying to do everything.  We are trying to do what we do very well.  We realize that you will use other applications.

hoyt

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2018, 08:43:53 pm »

Quote from: JimH
I don't think we've said that.
Not trying to put words in your mouth or attribute an exact quote, but it seems to me the approach is to focus on the core.  I'm not implying that's a bad thing, that is in fact what brought me to JRiver.

Quote from: JimH
We've spent a lot of time on network features.  Remotes are just one of those.I think there are five or six.  We've done Gizmo, Panel, and part of JRemote.  MC itself makes a good remote.
I was referring to the three non-desktop apps I could think of that were community developed (JRemote, MO4Media, and EOS).  I don't really think of Panel as an app.  It doesn't stand on its own, it requires a web browser to launch.  So while it might run on a different platform, it's not a natural feel on that platform.  It feels like a webpage. 

My point to add onto Mark's post is illustrated with this: In the near future I'll be redesigning my living room.  There will be a Roku, or a Roku enabled TV, (because that gets me Netflix, YTTv, ec), but not a full blown HTPC.  I don't think I'm alone in that future.  I'll figure it out, and perhaps I'll use something else.  I will certainly still use MC for other things, but the ecosystem is less valuable as I start to use other media software.

I don't want you to drop development work on MC24 to support more platforms (maybe Mark does, so not speaking for him).  But I do wish there was more support for these types of devices.  With what I know from MC, that support will likely come from community development and I appreciate that JRiver enables that.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2018, 09:47:40 pm »

JRemote was about 50% JRiver's work.  We bought the source and hired the developer.
Pages: [1]   Go Up