INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Manually updating tags.  (Read 2317 times)

RD James

• Citizen of the Universe
Manually updating tags.
« on: April 17, 2018, 10:38:50 am »

I've been doing a bit of testing with tagging and being able to write tags, and noticed that if you disable "Update tags when file info changes" Media Center refuses to write tags at all:
You have disabled the option to allow Media Center to update tags.
Please change this option and try again.

I think it would be useful if the "Update Tags (from Library)" option still worked when this option was disabled - perhaps asking for confirmation.
That way Media Center would never write tags to files automatically, but allows the user to manually update tags via Media Center if desired.

Additionally, when tag writing is disabled, so are sidecars.
I don't think they should be considered the same, as writing to sidecars doesn't touch the media file.

Negasonic

• World Citizen
Re: Manually updating tags.
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2018, 04:06:22 am »

I agree with this. Please make it happen. It would be a great improvement to MC.

MusicHawk

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2018, 11:51:31 am »

Can I again (mentioned at various times over the years) point out the confusion due to wording of these options?

The problem is the inconsistent meaning of "Tags", which really has no solid meaning at all. In MC, Tags generally means metadata, but there are two places such data exists: Database and File. Saying "Tags" doesn't make clear which is which.

"Update tags when file info changes" means (presumably) "Update Library when File info changes" (of "Update Library when File metadata changes").

"Update Tags (from Library)" means (presumably) Update File info from Library"

The first "Tags" refers to Database fields. The second "Tags" refers to File fields. Sure, the meaning can be worked out from context, but why not simply say it clearly?

Also (while I'm ranting), "Library" is not crystal-clear either. In MC it generally means the Database rather than Files. But users often refer to their collection of Files as their Library. MC's Database catalogs, manages and uses the Files that comprise the Library, but is it actually the Library? Or is that the Files?

Why I have these opinions: I used to write documentation and books on tech, design and develop, apps, write IT white papers (mainly for IBM) to explain stuff, etc, so I hope my comments are food for thought. Making things clearer and more consistent is the best way for newbies to become successful, happy customers.
Managing my media with JRiver since Media Jukebox 8 (maybe earlier), currently use Media Center for Audio/Music and Photos/Videos.
My career in media spans Radio, TV, Print, Photography, Music, Film, Online, Live, Advertising, as producer, director, writer, performer, editor, engineer, executive, owner. An exhausting but amazing ride.

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2018, 12:06:48 pm »

"Update tags" in both places mean tagging the file (changing the file).  "when file info changes" means something is changed in the library.

So with option "Update tags when file info changes" is on, changing a field inside MC will cause the change to be written to the file.  "Update tags (from library)" is a manual operation.  It should be allowed even if the other option is off.

I have just made the following change:

Changed: "Update tags (from library)" will be allowed even if "Update tags when file info changes" option is off.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

Negasonic

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2018, 06:24:32 pm »

'Update tags when file info changes'. Always a head scratcher for a second or two when I see it.

"File info" in my thinking means "info from the actual file". So this setting must mean "Update the library tags when info (tags) in the files changes". But that is not correct.

'Update File Tags when Library changes' ?
'Update File Tags when Library info changes' ?
'Update File Tags when Library Tags changes' ?
'Update File Tags when Library Field changes' ?
'Update the information that can be found in the Tag metadata that resides inside the actual file whenever the information contained within a Field of Media Center's internal tagging system changes' ?

Then we also have 'Update for external changes' in the import settings which is a bit of a loose description.

RD James

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2018, 06:44:41 pm »

I have just made the following change:
Changed: "Update tags (from library)" will be allowed even if "Update tags when file info changes" option is off.
Thank you, that's going to make tag editing so much faster since it can be contained to MC's database until everything is done and I decide to manually write to the files.

Can I again (mentioned at various times over the years) point out the confusion due to wording of these options?
I agree that it's a problem, but I think the last time this was brought up, JRiver staff basically said that it's more confusing for existing users if they start changing the wording on these options (not that I agree with it).

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2018, 07:11:35 pm »

I like this one, as I tend to try to consistently call metadata in the Library a "Field", and metadata in a file (media or sidecar) a "Tag".

'Update File Tags when Library Field changes' ?

But how about this Wiki edit as a compromise?

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Update_Tags_When_File_Info_Changes
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Negasonic

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2018, 09:44:23 pm »

I tend to try to consistently call metadata in the Library a "Field", and metadata in a file (media or sidecar) a "Tag".

Same here. Not sure if I've been fully consistent here on the forums, though  ;D , it tends to depend on what terms other people are using at the moment.

But how about this Wiki edit as a compromise?

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Update_Tags_When_File_Info_Changes

Good job!

MusicHawk

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2018, 01:11:51 pm »

I know MC has replied in prior threads that changing existing wording will somehow be a problem for existing users.  Saying something clearly is always better than using muddled words that rely on inside knowledge to understand.

New users (and old ones too) would be better served by cleaning up the terminology anomalies.
Managing my media with JRiver since Media Jukebox 8 (maybe earlier), currently use Media Center for Audio/Music and Photos/Videos.
My career in media spans Radio, TV, Print, Photography, Music, Film, Online, Live, Advertising, as producer, director, writer, performer, editor, engineer, executive, owner. An exhausting but amazing ride.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2018, 01:16:26 pm »

This isn't going to change.
Pages: [1]   Go Up