INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: License Questions  (Read 1855 times)

stevenghill.nyc

License Questions
« on: April 21, 2018, 12:47:52 pm »

[Edit by Admin -- For general information about licensing, please read the License thread.]

in my email it states 23 license will work with new 24 version?
Steve

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
License Questions
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2018, 01:13:43 pm »

The other way around.  A 24 license will work with MC23.

geier22

• Galactic Citizen
Re: License Questions
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2018, 10:27:41 am »

I have purchased a Master License for MC 24 on 03.03.2018. I had already installed this key in MC 23 for testing purposes. The Temporary Install Key from the purchase expired when MC 24 appeared.
On the same computer (triple boot) and several VM's, I have MC 24 installed.
I registered MC in these installations by copying the license key from the mail. That worked, because there was also MC 23 installed.
But - as I now realize - I got each time a new "Temporary Install Key". (landed in spam)
The last mail says:
You have recently restored a license for Media Center 24 Master. There are 10 restores available in each 12 month period. There are 6 restores remaining at this time.

It would be nice if you could reset the remaining restores, since it will probably happen more often that I have to install MC 24 in a new VM.
Debian Testing x64 (multiarch) Xfce
TEAC UD-H01 - Yamaha A-S1000 /
Midrange- Studiomonitore by FÖÖN
AsRock Z390 Extreme4- Intel Core i9 9900/ 32 GB Ram

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2018, 08:43:10 pm »

From here: https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,115562.0.html

I have a master license w/ JRiver, upgraded from MC22 to MC23 no problems, have been using MC23 for many months. Prepaid for upgrade to MC24 before it became available, decided to install it on a second machine to try it out and use it for a while before committing to my main computer. When I finished the install of MC24 on the second machine, I got a pop up window saying "Your license file is not valid for Media Center. Do you want to purchase an upgrade?" (I had a previous version of MC21  on this machine I used for testing and had never upgraded it). I used my registration code and generated a new key and tried to use it on MC24 and got the same message. I went back on my main computer and fired up MC23, which I've been using since, I believe, last fall- and has been working fine- the last time I used it was this afternoon but I had to power down the machine earlier today, and when I powered it back up and started  MC23 I got the same message!!! I used the freshly generated reg key to re-register it, and it seems to be working fine, but it's only been running for 20 minutes at this point. I trying a second time to register MC24 on the test machine but still get the same error message. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong???

When I look at the properties for the file:
Name: Media Center23 Master-xxxxxx.mjr
Type: Media Center 24 Registration
Size: 1.36 KB

(the x's above are actually numbers)

Checked my email, I've gotten 3 emails from JRiver (Subject: Temporary Install Key for JRiver, Inc. Media Center 23 Master) saying that I have 18, then 17, then 17 again restores left.
I get the same "Your license file is not valid for Media Center. Do you want to purchase an upgrade?" when I try to register MC24.

I also checked the confirmation email I got when I placed my upgrade order for MC24, and everything seems to be in order.

For goodness sake stop generating new licence files! The first one you had would have been fine. The mjr file is valid for 14 days from the date it was generated. Use that.

As you have had earlier versions of MC installed on both PCs, the post below is likely to describe your problem and the fix. Or you could just copy the Registration Code from the email you received and paste it into the registration function inside MC. But that won't fix other file association problems.
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,114872.msg794447.html#msg794447
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

geier22

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2018, 10:59:33 pm »

Or you could just copy the Registration Code from the email you received and paste it into the registration function inside MC. But that will not fix other file association problems.
Guess what I did?
And every time came an email with a new mjr. - file.

And - did I write something about file association problems somewhere?

If you read my post, you would have noticed that I had bought the license for MC 24  1 month before the release.
Debian Testing x64 (multiarch) Xfce
TEAC UD-H01 - Yamaha A-S1000 /
Midrange- Studiomonitore by FÖÖN
AsRock Z390 Extreme4- Intel Core i9 9900/ 32 GB Ram

jwk246

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2018, 11:13:18 pm »

From here: https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,115562.0.html

For goodness sake stop generating new licence files! The first one you had would have been fine. The mjr file is valid for 14 days from the date it was generated. Use that.

As you have had earlier versions of MC installed on both PCs, the post below is likely to describe your problem and the fix.
I only created 2 license files, the second one on the computer that had a working MC23.0.104 on it, which stopped working when I tried to reg MC24 on the other computer; and the first license was generated on the computer with the new MC24 on it, Which previously had MC21 on it. I don't know why I got 3 emails, my count was decremented by 2. And that's when I stopped generating license files and posted about this.

Or you could just copy the Registration Code from the email you received and paste it into the registration function inside MC. But that won't fix other file association problems.
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,114872.msg794447.html#msg794447
I had already tried this before I made my first post about this issue.

I'm still at a loss why MC23 stopped working on the computer I didn't touch. When I ran the reg file on that computer it re-authorized it.

Follow the instructions on the link you pointed me to... the path looks good to me:

Program location:
"C:\Program Files\JRiver\Media Center 24\PackageInstaller.exe" /Register "C:\Users\jk\Downloads\Media Center23 Master-38xxxx.mjr"

Double click on .mjr file, get this:

Confirm Action
Your license file is not valid for Media Center.
Do you want to purchase an upgrade?
Yes/No (No)

Removed MC21 from system, rebooted. Followed instructions in sent link again. Same results.

Same problem continues....

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2018, 01:54:02 am »

"C:\Program Files\JRiver\Media Center 24\PackageInstaller.exe" /Register "C:\Users\jk\Downloads\Media Center23 Master-38xxxx.mjr"

Unless that is a typo, and I don't think it is because you have said the same thing in your original post, you are trying to use a MC23 mjr file to register a MC24 installation.

I believe that you need to Restore a Licence and get a new MC24 mjr file (since is a while since you purchased and the original would have expired) using the Registration Code you received in the email when you bought the MC24 upgrade. I suspect that you have been entering the MC23 Registration code as part of the Restore Licence process, or using the registered version of MC23 to generate a new licence. But I can't/won't be checking that as my PCs are all fully registered.

As I have never had any problems like this, all I can suggest beyond what I wrote in that post I linked to is to read the dialogues, emails, and messages carefully before hitting any buttons or taking any action. Because the process works, when it is followed properly.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2018, 02:49:48 am »

And - did I write something about file association problems somewhere?

If you read my post, you would have noticed that I had bought the license for MC 24  1 month before the release.

And - did I quote your post? Was I responding to you? Are you the only person in the world?

No, I hadn't read what you posted, because I wasn't responding to you.

Guess what I did?
And every time came an email with a new mjr. - file.

Have you read this properly? https://jriver.com/purchase.html
and this? https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Restoring_a_License
and this? https://rover.jriver.com/cgi-bin/restore.cgi

When you enter your Registration Code, a new Install Key (mjr file) is sent to you. So it ended up in your SPAM folder, and you hadn't checked that? Hmmm.

You need to make sure that you use your MC24 Registration Code so that you get a MC24 mjr file. I just checked that by doing a Restore using a MC19 Registration Code and I received a MC19 mjr file.

But, reading what you have written, I don't even know what problem you have. You haven't said you can't register MC24 anywhere.

I can say that the mjr file registration process didn't work with your MC24 installs on the VMs because MC23 was already installed. It worked because you used an unexpired MC24 mjr file with a MC24 installation... and file associations were correct on that installation of Windows, and pointing to the MC24 Install Package executable. Or maybe you used a MC23 mjr file, which simply re-registered your MC23 installation, if the file association is pointing to MC23. Or maybe you used a MC24 mjr file on a MC23.0.102 or higher version of MC23? You haven't shared enough information for me to know.

It would be nice if you could reset the remaining restores, since it will probably happen more often that I have to install MC 24 in a new VM.

JRiver is very generous with the Licencing and Licence Restore quantities. When you are going to run out, they will reset your quantity, I'm sure. If you ask nicely. You aren't even halfway through them yet.

But the real solution would be to back up a new VM installation after just Windows and MC have been installed. Then you can restore the VM at any time, instead of creating a new VM, and MC would be registered already, so you wouldn't require a new mjr file.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2018, 06:36:57 am »

We only reset when you've run out of restores.  It rarely happens.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2018, 12:11:24 am »

Crusader56, I can't answer your PM as your inbox is full. You need to delete some old messages!

So, the answer:

G'Day Noel.

Another Melbournite. Excellent.

Have you had a read of this thread, and the threads linked in it? https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,115494.0.html
Specifically, if you are getting the error message "your license file is for a different product", then check for the issue in this post: https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,114872.msg794447.html#msg794447

It may not be the issue you have, but the first thread above and the pages it links to covers a bunch of issues. The most important are;

1. You need to download MC24 and install it before double-clicking the mjr licence key file. Install MC24 first, then apply the licence file. Download from here: https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,115332.0.html
2. You should have received an email from buy-button with the mjr Licence Key file attached. If that was recent you don't need to do a Restore Licence.
3. If you restored MC24 more than 14 days ago, the mjr file will have expired, so you will need to do a Restore Licence. Make sure you use the Registration Code from MC24 buy-button email when doing a Restore Licence, so that you receive a new MC24 Install Key. Always copy and paste the Registration Code from the email you received when you bought the MC24 upgrade. It is too easy to miskey the code if typing it.
4. Check to see if the correct PacakageInstaller.exe is being called when you double click on your new mjr file (Install Key), as per my post in the second link above.

It probably wouldn't help to uninstall MC23.0.104 before installing or trying to licence MC24.

Sorry there is no quick fix. It isn't complicated, but you need to follow the instructions carefully, and read the pages on the topic so you understand what MC is doing.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2018, 06:47:07 am »

Thanks for helping with license questions.  I'd prefer that people are given this link first:
Licensing.

It explains licensing in summary form and in detail. 

Anyone who has questions after reading that, please post here.

The reason I'm asking for this is two fold:
1.  I believe that the instructions cover the details needed.  If not, please point out problems.
2.  The terminology is consistent.  An mjr file is an Install Key, for example, and a permanent license is a Registration Code.

jwk246

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2018, 07:21:11 am »

With my MC23 Master license I got 20 restores, with MC24 Master license I only got 10 restores- what happened?? Did JRiver change their policy, or is this a mistake??

JohnT

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2018, 09:46:19 am »

With my MC23 Master license I got 20 restores, with MC24 Master license I only got 10 restores- what happened?? Did JRiver change their policy, or is this a mistake??
That was a bug, it's now set to 20 restores like previous Master versions.  It was a server change so you don't need to update Media Center to get your full 20 restores.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

tbng

• World Citizen
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2018, 05:45:22 pm »

I paid for version 24 on March 3, got an e-mail from buy-button@jriver.com with registration codes up to and including version 23.  Version 24 wasn't then available.  Today I downloaded versio 24 but have no 24 registration code to enter.  I used the system to request JRiver to send me one, which it did - for version 23, not 24.  I cannot register.  Yes, I've read the blurbs here, but I'm in an endless loop.  I need JRiver to send me a version 24 registration code.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2018, 10:10:27 pm »

I found several licenses associated with your forum e-mail address, but not one for MC24.

If you have a receipt, please forward it to me.  I'm jimh at jriver.

keithpaladin

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2018, 06:00:16 am »

I have bought the Windows version of MediaCenter 24. I have a Masters version of 23 and I cannot upgrade. How to I upgrade version 24 to a Masters.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2018, 06:33:03 am »

You have mail.

zimmy

• Recent member
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2018, 03:47:52 pm »

I recently updated from MC 18 to MC 24.  I purchased a single upgrade licence for Windows x64.  I also have a second computer that is 32 bit.  I tried to install MC 24 32 bit on my second machine but I get an error that my licence isn't valid.  I assume this is because they are different OSes.  So do I need a master licence instead?  I already paid $30 for the single licence and I see the master upgrade is asking for another $40.  Is there a way I can just pay the $10 difference?  Thanks

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2018, 03:54:15 pm »

You just have to install MC24 32 bit on the second machine and then license it.  You don't need a Master license.

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Restoring_a_License

nebulix

• Recent member
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2018, 11:15:58 am »

Hi, I purchased the MC24 Windows license a while back.  I've been moving computers around and reinstalling windows, now MC is telling me that the license key I was issued has "been installed too many times."  Any way to reset this?  I just use it for my own PCs at the same location on the same IP.

Thank you kindly in advance

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2018, 03:32:08 pm »

I've reset your restores.  You can extend them by using the trial period and by using the Install Key instead of a restore (for 14 days).

nebulix

• Recent member
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2018, 11:13:28 pm »

Ah, I see.  I was using up my restores when I should have been using the install keys, good for 14 days.  I was wondering what those emails were for.

Thanks so much JimH.
Pages: [1]   Go Up