INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Using a laptop as a media server (Questions)  (Read 1342 times)

abettik

• Recent member
Using a laptop as a media server (Questions)
« on: May 03, 2018, 10:06:18 am »

Mediacenter is so powerful and detailed that there is a definite learning curve. My setting is COMPUTER A is connected to external HDD with all my music on. COMPUTER B is connected to my DAC - Amplifier - Speakers / Is there a way to control COMPUTER B from COMPUTER A; everything I play in COMPUTER A is automatically played in COMPUTER B through network? Already, I have succeeded in linking the two in the Playing Now section but it seems COMPUTER B is the one controlling COMPUTER A, I would like it the other way around if possible. Thank you!

Andre

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?

abettik

• Recent member
Re: Using a laptop as a media server (Questions)
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2018, 10:32:33 am »

Did that, thank you!! However if I browse through the Playlists (as an example), I still see the local Playlists from the renderer, is there a way to see/access the playlists of the server?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2018, 11:07:35 am »

Please re-read the topic.  It tells you how to connect to a remote PC, use its library, and play to it.

abettik

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2018, 11:41:02 am »

I can connect allright. I can use it's library. But it only plays locally to the renderer. It does not play to the server. I have speakers in two different rooms. I would like MediaCenter to play the musix simultaneously to both rooms. I'm probably too much of a newbie to work it out.  :(

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2018, 09:09:49 pm »

In Playing Now  choose There. That will direct output to the server output.  You can select other output zones there also.  Player is your client system.

In order to pay to speakers in two rooms, look at Linking zones. Right click on the current zone and it will let you link to another zone.   

In MC 24 there are new capabilities to sync the timing of zones. There is more info on this in the MC 24 forum.

Scobie

• MC Beta Team
  • Looking Busy
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2018, 08:08:30 pm »

Further to dtc's comments, when playing via DLNA to network connected  renderers; think of JRiver playing to a zone rather than a device.

If you leave the config as default each device will belong to its own Zone (a 1:1 relationship) however to enable same time playback on multiple devices you need to link (sync) their zones.

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Zones

abettik

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2018, 03:25:20 pm »

Finally found the solution. Network settings were ok, I needed to drag and link one computer to the other under the Playing Now tab. Now both computers play the music simultaneously...
Pages: [1]   Go Up