INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: IPOD SUPPORT  (Read 41832 times)

packyb

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
Re: IPOD SUPPORT
« Reply #150 on: June 10, 2003, 05:05:59 pm »

I am now upgraded to MC 9.1.196 but I am having a similar probelm to what sarvis was experiencing - "when I click on the drive for the ipod I get a window titled "h." with a red "x" in it." I don't get the Media Core error that sarvis had, and I can still disconnect my iPod from my PC.  Any official fix to this? Did I do something?

RGHessel

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #151 on: June 10, 2003, 07:07:12 pm »

I appologize if this has been addressed before, but couldn't find a similar posting...

I have recently configured MediaCenter 9 to work with my (3rd generation) iPOD.   I'm finding the transferring of mp3s from my notebook to the iPOD very erratic.  

If I select a group of files to transfer (using the "send to" function, or by dragging them and dropping them into the iPOD), a number of them will not transfer, with the error message "The following is a list of files that failed to transfer with an error code." (No error code is listed).

If I attempt to then individually download those same files, they will (abou 95% of the time) transfer without problem.

I've also tried transferring the same group of files, and each time different files will fail to transfer (with the same error message as above).

By going back and individually transferring the files one by one, I've managed to get about everything to transver over...but this certainly isn't the way things are supposed to work.  Any ideas?

coxkevin

• Recent member
  • Never underestimate the power of human stupidity.
« Reply #152 on: June 10, 2003, 08:11:10 pm »

Kevin,

I managed to reproduce your bug. Thanks for reporting it. It is fixed in Plugin 9.0.26 which is not included in today's MC build, but is available from the Plugins page.

Hi Steve!

I did some initial testing tonight, but nothing extensive as it's so late.  The good news is that the bug that caused the plugin to delete the original library file on the first sync with transcoding seems to be fixed!  Thanks a million for putting up with my daily complaints.   ;D

The bad news is that the original files were deleted after a second sync with no changes.  I also noticed a minor bug was introduced that causes the "Overall Progress" bar to start at zero after each interim upload during a sync with transcoding.

The plugin takes about 2 seconds to confirm that each file has previously been transcoded and downloaded to the iPod.  Is there anyway to make this run faster -- say like on the order of a normal sync without transcoding?

Cheers,
Kevin
"Always listen to the experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it."  
-- Lazarus Long

mindracing

• Galactic Citizen
  • Bike, Mind and Body are part of the same system
« Reply #153 on: June 10, 2003, 10:11:29 pm »

I am now upgraded to MC 9.1.196 but I am having a similar probelm to what sarvis was experiencing - "when I click on the drive for the ipod I get a window titled "h." with a red "x" in it." I don't get the Media Core error that sarvis had, and I can still disconnect my iPod from my PC.  Any official fix to this? Did I do something?

I'm getting the same problem but with 9.0.180. This would suggest it is the plug-in.

dallardice

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #154 on: June 11, 2003, 03:46:52 am »

Do you have some CDs that rip and then synch OK? If yes, what is the name of one of the failing CDs? If no, what are your ripping settings so I can test those.

Testing last night, the first three CDs ripped and synced fine, the last one 'With the Beatles' ripped without any problems but on attempting the sync I got the Media Core error.  Incidentally, just to be clear, the crash happens before the dialogue box appears asking me what I want to Sync - it's immediately after I select Sync from the right-click menu.

At the moment I am still on Plugin v23 - do you think I should upgrade to the latest or would you rather get to the bottom of this on 23?

I have the Ipod and MC in currently un-syncable states (a bit like the Titanic) so let me know if I should hold it like that for investigation or if I should run through my usual reformat/resync cycle.

SteveG

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #155 on: June 11, 2003, 06:40:32 am »

packyb,

The crash you describe sounds like a corrupted database. The solution should be to format your iPod and then start clean. Alternately, you could delete your iTunesDB file from your iPod and then select "Rebuild database from iPod". This option will cause your Playlists to be removed, but will keep your files.

If you can, send me your iTunesDB file from your iPod (iPod Drive\ iPod_Control\iTunes\iTunesDB ) and I will fix the code so that it will not crash. Why your database got corrupted is a mystery.

RGHessel,

When you see the error message of the files that failed to transfer you do not see a filename followed by a "-" and a number?

What is your Operating System? Do you have similar problems using another application (to rule out a hardware issue)?

Kevin,

Thanks for the reports. All are fixed in the next build of MC.

Mindracing,

My advice to PackyB above is my advice to you as well.

Dallardice,

Please update to all the latest. In order to get back to a synchable state, follow advice to PackyB. If you can, try to isolate that the problem is with the "With the Beatles" CD. If you can replicate it multiple times, I am off to buy that CD to get to the bottom of this.

Steve

Wobbley

• World Citizen
  • What a bum rap for a nice, sensitive guy like me
« Reply #156 on: June 11, 2003, 07:48:27 am »

Hi Steve,

I have discovered a new problem I am having with MC and my 3G 30 Gig iPod.  I'm using the newest version of MC (9.1.195 ) and iPod plugin version 9.025.  I conducted a sync and once it was complete, I noticed that songs I had not added to any of the playlists that I synced were on the iPod (the iPod was clean before the sync), and they were listed as other songs by other artists...well, let me explain.

One of the albums on one of the playlists I synced was "Stockholm Mix Sessions" by Adam Beyer.  After the sync, I scrolled through my albums on the iPod and found "Stockholm Mix Sessions" and selected the first track to play.  Everything appeared to be OK (the album name was correct, the song titles were corect, etc.). I selected the 1st song on the album, pressed play, and despite the display showing that I was playing the first track off of the "Stockholm Mix Sessions" album, the song that played was a song by Aimee Mann from the "Magnolia" soundtrack.  This was especially odd as I did not add any songs from that album to any playlist in the group of playlists I synced.  I tried several other songs (still labeled correctly), but they, too, were songs by Aimee Mann from the "Magnolia" soundtrack.  I did find that there were about 3 out of a total of 18 songs that were the actual song from the "Stockholm Mix Sessions" album.  How could MC have synced songs to the iPod that weren't on any of the playlists I had selected to sync?  How could MC have sent the tag info of the songs from the "Stockholm Mix Sessions" album to the iPod, but associated that tag info with songs by Aimee Mann on the "Magnolia" soundtrack?

I'll download the 9.026 iPod plugin when I get home and test to see if it is still occurring.

Let me know if you have an ideas about why this would have happened, or if I haven't been clear enough.

Thanks,

Wobbley

mindracing

• Galactic Citizen
  • Bike, Mind and Body are part of the same system
« Reply #157 on: June 11, 2003, 08:28:53 am »

Steve,

packyb,

The crash you describe sounds like a corrupted database. The solution should be to format your iPod and then start clean. Alternately, you could delete your iTunesDB file from your iPod and then select "Rebuild database from iPod". This option will cause your Playlists to be removed, but will keep your files.

Interestingly, I have only been experiencing this siince we started playing around with the Audible files!

SteveG

« Reply #158 on: June 11, 2003, 08:57:10 am »

Wobbley,

What you are describing is strange and I cannot immediately duplicate it. Can you run some small tests and see if you can give me some specific steps to reliably see your error? Also, try updating your library. The only way that immediately comes to mind for how you can see what you are seeing is if you had cleared your library and then retransferred files without deleting the files first on iPod.

Mindracing,

This does not surprise me because I was manually hacking on the iTunesDB files I was sending back to you. After a reformat you should be OK.

Everyone,

For anyone seeing a crash when right clicking on the iPod and selecting Synchronization, I found and fixed a nasty bug that should cause this to go away. Get plugin 9.0.26 from today or wait until the next build and all should be well.

Steve

coxkevin

• Recent member
  • Never underestimate the power of human stupidity.
« Reply #159 on: June 11, 2003, 01:24:00 pm »

Kevin,

Thanks for the reports. All are fixed in the next build of MC.

Steve -- On the off chance that the fixes are actually in the iPod plugin as compared to the next release of Media Center, I downloaded the latest version of the plugin (v9.0.26) and ran similar tests.  

The same errors I reported last time were still there and I noted one additional bug.  This time I didn't initialize my iPod with Apple's updater and then format within Media Center.  I just synced right away with "Delete Files Not In List" checked.  None of the old files were deleted and they should have been since the only smartlist I had selected was "iPod Testing".

Just thought you might like to know.   ;)

Cheers,
kc
"Always listen to the experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it."  
-- Lazarus Long

SteveG

« Reply #160 on: June 11, 2003, 01:32:47 pm »

Kevin,

For sure you must get the next MC.  Delete files not in list is currently disabled when conversion is in place. This will be enabled soon.

Everyone,

This thread has once again grown long I will close it and start a new one.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up