INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Update IdNuc or IdPi to use as AirPlay Endpoints (Renderers)  (Read 11984 times)

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe

If you have an IdPi or IdNuc running MC23 or later (what we call versionless) there is an OTA update available that enables iDevices to play to the the Id using AirPlay.

This plays nice with MC on the Id.  It will stop MC from playing any stream it currently is and restart it when the AirPlay is done.

Your Id will show up with its name (the default or whatever you set it to) in your iDevice list of audio outputs.

One limitation is that it will only use the default zone device for now. So whatever your zone 0 device is connected to for audio output, that is the device that will be used for AirPlay.

If you change the default output device and reboot (say from HDMI to Analog) the change will get picked up.

I've been using this at home for those times when I want to stream a podcast or baseball game from my iDevice and it works great.

NOTE: On the Intel based IdNuc, you will need to re-enter your license one time after this update!

RobertNewPi

• Recent member

Possibly a daft question but: does wifi need to be enabled on the Pi for this to work? Have never used AirPlay, but curious to know if an ethernet connected Pi on the same network as the iDevice would also be seen as an audio output?

tyler69

Re: Update IdNuc or IdPi to use as AirPlay Endpoints (Renderers)
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2018, 05:28:54 am »

Great news. The obvious question: when will this be also available for Windows/macOS versions?  ;D

bob

• Administrator

Possibly a daft question but: does wifi need to be enabled on the Pi for this to work? Have never used AirPlay, but curious to know if an ethernet connected Pi on the same network as the iDevice would also be seen as an audio output?
It works over wifi or ethernet. I use it both ways.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2018, 08:58:41 am »

Great news. The obvious question: when will this be also available for Windows/macOS versions?  ;D
This is a specific endpoint implementation on an Id.
We will see how much interest there is in this before deciding whether to pursue it more widely.

RobertNewPi

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2018, 09:01:09 am »

Thank you! Does it follow that the actual stream, the podcast or whatever, is then going direct from the router to the Id? i.e. once play is in progress the iDevice no longer needs to be in range/turned on?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2018, 09:04:10 am »

Thank you! Does it follow that the actual stream, the podcast or whatever, is then going direct from the router to the Id? i.e. once play is in progress the iDevice no longer needs to be in range/turned on?
The device that's sending the output to the Id needs to be on the same network and turned on, at least as how I'm using it.
I'm streaming from my iPhone or iPad to the Id directly, I'm not aware of other ways that can be done.

RobertNewPi

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2018, 09:08:22 am »

The device that's sending the output to the Id needs to be on the same network and turned on, at least as how I'm using it.
I'm streaming from my iPhone or iPad to the Id directly, I'm not aware of other ways that can be done.

If the Id has an ethernet connection but its wifi is off then the stream must be going via the wifi router to get to it as there is no other connection between IPad and Id is there?

tyler69

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2018, 09:09:02 am »

This is a specific endpoint implementation on an Id.
We will see how much interest there is in this before deciding whether to pursue it more widely.

How will you measure the interest?
It is debatable if the Id customers are statistically relevant for judging the interest for this functionality throughout MC versions. Maybe take a poll?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2018, 09:21:49 am »

If the Id has an ethernet connection but its wifi is off then the stream must be going via the wifi router to get to it as there is no other connection between IPad and Id is there?
Yes that's the case but the source of the stream is still whatever iDevice you are using to send the data (podcast, etc) and that needs to be on as long as you are playing from it, it's a stream not a transfered file.

When I start a podcast playing from my iPhone, I pick the IdPi from the audio output selection, start the podcast and click off the screen using the power button tap method. It plays until it's done.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2018, 09:24:14 am »

How will you measure the interest?
It is debatable if the Id customers are statistically relevant for judging the interest for this functionality throughout MC versions. Maybe take a poll?
That might be useful.
It's important to remember that this is a specific use case, the Id as a renderer, not MC as an AirPlay server.

RobertNewPi

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2018, 09:31:30 am »

Yes that's the case but the source of the stream is still whatever iDevice you are using to send the data (podcast, etc) and that needs to be on as long as you are playing from it, it's a stream not a transfered file.

When I start a podcast playing from my iPhone, I pick the IdPi from the audio output selection, start the podcast and click off the screen using the power button tap method. It plays until it's done.

Thank you. Assuming your phone is using wifi not a mobile signal then the stream is coming in to the router, out to the phone, back to the router and then out to the Id. If that is what is happening that's fine, I was just curious as to whether the out and back to/from the phone continued to happen once the stream was in progress.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2018, 09:37:04 am »

Thank you. Assuming your phone is using wifi not a mobile signal then the stream is coming in to the router, out to the phone, back to the router and then out to the Id. If that is what is happening that's fine, I was just curious as to whether the out and back to/from the phone continued to happen once the stream was in progress.
Yes, that is correct!

mdooney@gmail.com

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2018, 09:15:54 am »

Very convenient.  I can now send my Deezer and Qobuz lossless streams to the Id - just need to juggle the various volume controls a bit.  Also, can send my MC24 Mac version output to Id - nicer user experience than going through remote desktop.  Is there any compromise on music detail/quality involved on the iMac output to the Id?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2018, 09:22:13 am »

Very convenient.  I can now send my Deezer and Qobuz lossless streams to the Id - just need to juggle the various volume controls a bit.  Also, can send my MC24 Mac version output to Id - nicer user experience than going through remote desktop.  Is there any compromise on music detail/quality involved on the iMac output to the Id?
Not that I know of.
We are letting the ALSA resampler convert the stream (if necessary) to whatever sample rates the output device supports.

GaryB

• World Citizen
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2018, 11:53:36 am »

Hi,

I notice that if I stream Radio Paradise from their App on an iPad to my Nuc Id using the Airstream method that after 30 or 40 minutes the gaps between the songs grow in length and sometimes we have pauses of 20 to 30 secs. This is using Paradise in Cached mode.

Selecting back to local playback restores music but then sending back to the Nuc doesn’t work at all until after a reboot...

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2018, 08:37:07 am »

Hi,

I notice that if I stream Radio Paradise from their App on an iPad to my Nuc Id using the Airstream method that after 30 or 40 minutes the gaps between the songs grow in length and sometimes we have pauses of 20 to 30 secs. This is using Paradise in Cached mode.

Selecting back to local playback restores music but then sending back to the Nuc doesn’t work at all until after a reboot...
Interesting. Have you changed any of the default MC settings for playback (track transitions, etc)?
Is the connection wired or wireless??
When the airplay service is in use it sends a stop command to MC then a resume command when it finishes. I wonder if that's stalling for some reason.

GaryB

• World Citizen
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2018, 09:21:02 am »

Interesting. Have you changed any of the default MC settings for playback (track transitions, etc)?
Is the connection wired or wireless??
When the airplay service is in use it sends a stop command to MC then a resume command when it finishes. I wonder if that's stalling for some reason.

I have switch tracks set to cross fade smooth...
The other two are set to Gapless
Nuc is wired to Router.

The other thing I noticed is that sometimes I end up with two songs playing together?

I have been using this method to play RP because playing it direct from MC via the File “ Play Radio Paradise “ option from MC seems to create a rather chaotic playlist on MC with what is actually playing bearing no resemblance to the cover art shown!

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2018, 09:54:25 am »

I have switch tracks set to cross fade smooth...
The other two are set to Gapless
Nuc is wired to Router.

The other thing I noticed is that sometimes I end up with two songs playing together?

I have been using this method to play RP because playing it direct from MC via the File “ Play Radio Paradise “ option from MC seems to create a rather chaotic playlist on MC with what is actually playing bearing no resemblance to the cover art shown!
Can you try setting "switch tracks" to gapless,
unchecking "Do not play silence" if it is checked and try again?

GaryB

• World Citizen
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2018, 11:44:33 am »

Will do Bob, I have also noticed that my carefully saved BBC Radio Stations on my "Car Radio Buttons" no longer play.
It looks like they are playing ( Green play button by the side" but nothing else happens no audio or error messages...
and that if I get use the  stream URL for them amd paste into "open url " that doesn't work either ..... I know I promised not to break anything  ::)

GaryB

• World Citizen
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2018, 11:32:41 am »

Ok, Bob I have tried this, some endings seem very abrupt, then you get one with a very clumsy cross fade. However I’m now confused as to wether or not this is a feature of the caching on the RP app on the iPad....

In “AirPlay” mode what effect does the MC settings have?
I would much rather use MC to stream it rather than having another piece of tech in the way...

Have you any thoughts as to why my HLS streaming of the BBC feeds is now broken?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2018, 08:52:18 am »

Ok, Bob I have tried this, some endings seem very abrupt, then you get one with a very clumsy cross fade. However I’m now confused as to wether or not this is a feature of the caching on the RP app on the iPad....

In “AirPlay” mode what effect does the MC settings have?
I would much rather use MC to stream it rather than having another piece of tech in the way...

Have you any thoughts as to why my HLS streaming of the BBC feeds is now broken?
In AirPlay mode the device just needs to be free, not held open by MC. I was wondering if the crossfade was somehow holding the device open in your configuration.

It kind of sounds to me like the AirPlay server on the Id is holding the output device open. I can't really see why that should be nor why your BBC streaming radio button isn't working.
What is your output device set to currently in MC (note that if you change that you need to reboot before the AirPlay server will pick up the new device)?

One possibility for debugging this would be to reboot the Id into GUI mode with a monitor attached. Then when MC fails to play for whatever reason, the message boxes will show up. Those are disabled when running in text mode so they don't block the running of the program.

GaryB

• World Citizen
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2018, 02:28:40 pm »

Hi Bob,
Sorry for the long delay in replying.
When I try the GUI mode and hit the Car Radio buttons for the BBC Streams,
The stream looks like it has opened and is playing but looking at the output nothing is? There are no error messages at all.
When I tried the same thing on my Windows NUC running Mc24 for the first time it downloaded the LAV filters then started to play.
Is it simply that the Linux version of MC on the Id doesn’t supportHLS streams?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2018, 09:48:39 am »

Hi Bob,
Sorry for the long delay in replying.
When I try the GUI mode and hit the Car Radio buttons for the BBC Streams,
The stream looks like it has opened and is playing but looking at the output nothing is? There are no error messages at all.
When I tried the same thing on my Windows NUC running Mc24 for the first time it downloaded the LAV filters then started to play.
Is it simply that the Linux version of MC on the Id doesn’t supportHLS streams?
Is this a stream that you added?
Can you give me a URL?

GaryB

• World Citizen
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2018, 10:29:28 am »

http://a.files.bbci.co.uk/media/live/manifesto/audio/simulcast/hls/nonuk/sbr_low/llnw/bbc_world_service.m3u8
This one plays perfectly in MC 24 ( Windows ) ( after it downloads a codec) but none of my 3 id's ( Nuc or Pi's ) dont do anything....

Update....

I have tried copying that URL to the "open a URL" from the main menu... And it works on the 2 Pi's but NOT the Nuc. Saving that to to a preset on the Car Radio on the PI's it now plays on the preset as well..

However the NUc refuses to have anything to do with it  :'(

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2018, 12:33:07 pm »

http://a.files.bbci.co.uk/media/live/manifesto/audio/simulcast/hls/nonuk/sbr_low/llnw/bbc_world_service.m3u8
This one plays perfectly in MC 24 ( Windows ) ( after it downloads a codec) but none of my 3 id's ( Nuc or Pi's ) dont do anything....

Update....

I have tried copying that URL to the "open a URL" from the main menu... And it works on the 2 Pi's but NOT the Nuc. Saving that to to a preset on the Car Radio on the PI's it now plays on the preset as well..

However the NUc refuses to have anything to do with it  :'(
Is your NUC Id on MC24?

GaryB

• World Citizen
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2018, 03:48:20 pm »

Yes it is Bob...

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2018, 10:59:19 am »

Yes it is Bob...
Ok we figured out what's going on, haven't figured out why yet but there is a workaround.
Play any video on the NUC Id and it will download the required components.

The stream is pretty weird. It's a m3u8 playlist containing a mpeg2-ts stream which only contains aac audio (no video).
I get the reason why, an mpeg2-ts can be streamed while a mp4 audio cannot.

GaryB

• World Citizen
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2018, 12:51:46 pm »

Cool..
Why does it work on the Pi version but not the intel?

There are actually a load more of them streams for the BBC but I didn't send you the URL's as they are I believe Geo-Locked...

The ones for the none speech stations are at a far higher quality than the World service.

thanks

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2018, 01:26:16 pm »

Cool..
Why does it work on the Pi version but not the intel?

There are actually a load more of them streams for the BBC but I didn't send you the URL's as they are I believe Geo-Locked...

The ones for the none speech stations are at a far higher quality than the World service.

thanks
The only thing I can think of for the pi is that the plugin got downloaded, perhaps on the original image.

GaryB

• World Citizen
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2018, 05:56:17 pm »

Your workaround worked wonderfully Bob! Thank you.

_jal

• Recent member
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2018, 08:18:45 pm »

I'm curious, is this using Shairpoint (https://github.com/mikebrady/shairport-sync)?

I've been thinking of trying to set this up, but haven't had time. I'm running rPi endpoints and a central "server" VM that streams to them, and have thought before that the one piece I was missing was Airplay... I may have to see if I can get this working.

tyler69

« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2018, 12:05:19 am »

Bob, any news on offering this functionality also for the Windows (and maybe macOS?) version?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2018, 12:35:47 pm »

I'm curious, is this using Shairpoint (https://github.com/mikebrady/shairport-sync)?

I've been thinking of trying to set this up, but haven't had time. I'm running rPi endpoints and a central "server" VM that streams to them, and have thought before that the one piece I was missing was Airplay... I may have to see if I can get this working.
Yes it is with some custom configuration for device sharing on the Id.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2018, 12:36:47 pm »

Bob, any news on offering this functionality also for the Windows (and maybe macOS?) version?
Its really a function of the Id operating environment, it works with MC but isn't part of it.

_jal

• Recent member
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2018, 08:19:28 pm »

Yes it is with some custom configuration for device sharing on the Id.

Thanks for the confirmation.

Yeah, figuring out how to play traffic cop with the audio dev is where I think I'll have the most fun, for values of "fun" that involve lots of swearing.

Rafal Lukawiecki

• World Citizen
« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2018, 06:08:49 pm »

Hi Bob, I have updated my original IdNUC 2820 to MC 24 today, and it works well so far. I can see the Id as an AirPlay endpoint, and I can connect to it. However, whenever I play anything, nothing comes out and there is no sign of any activity that I can see on the Id.

Are there additional set-up steps? I do not use zones, ie. Id is the player and uses hdmi.

Thank you.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2018, 06:20:55 pm »

It's discussed here:
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,115849.msg800582.html#msg800582

Maybe you'll find something useful there.

Rafal Lukawiecki

• World Citizen

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: September 07, 2018, 10:40:34 am »

Tried that...
The AirPlay function picks up the device to play to from MC's configuration upon the Id bootup so you might want to check that and make sure it's set properly.
You'll likely want it accessing one of the hw: devices.
After changing MC's audio device you need to reboot the Id for it to pickup any changes.

If it still doesn't work, try checking the audio mixer option from the Id menu and see if the volume is set to 0 for the hdmi device or muted.

Rafal Lukawiecki

• World Citizen
« Reply #40 on: September 07, 2018, 10:50:24 am »

The AirPlay function picks up the device to play to from MC's configuration upon the Id bootup so you might want to check that and make sure it's set properly.
You'll likely want it accessing one of the hw: devices.
After changing MC's audio device you need to reboot the Id for it to pickup any changes.

If it still doesn't work, try checking the audio mixer option from the Id menu and see if the volume is set to 0 for the hdmi device or muted.

That fixed it. I had “hdmi” rather than “hw” device selected. Changing to “hw” made it work. I see there are several “hw” HDMI devices listed on my IdNUC 2820. Which one should I be using, considering my amp is supposed to be doing most of the work, except volume leveling, which is the function of the Id and MC?

Thank you, Bob!

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: September 07, 2018, 11:49:38 am »

That fixed it. I had “hdmi” rather than “hw” device selected. Changing to “hw” made it work. I see there are several “hw” HDMI devices listed on my IdNUC 2820. Which one should I be using, considering my amp is supposed to be doing most of the work, except volume leveling, which is the function of the Id and MC?

Thank you, Bob!
I usually just use the hw: hdmi with the lowest number index.
Pages: [1]   Go Up