INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Center 9.1.195 beta  (Read 11936 times)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Media Center 9.1.195 beta
« on: June 09, 2003, 02:09:34 pm »

Please read VERY carefully.

This is a BETA version of 9.1.  If you expect things to work, please download the latest 9.0 build from this thread:

http://www.musicex.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=MediaCenter;action=di splay;num=1054751628

but if you're patient and willing to help us work out some of the bugs, you can download 9.1 here (recommended for experts only):

Backup your library before installing

ftp://ftp.jriver.com/pub/downloads/music/MediaCenter91195.exe

Please report any 9.1 problems in this thread.  Keep a list of problems and if they aren't fixed in the next build, please post the list again.

History
1. Fixed: File properties navigation bar would auto-hide and steal focus while editing properties.
2. Changed: Improved drawing speed in several areas.
3. Fixed: Media Server was not working with new version of MC's database.
4. Changed: Can now customize both the top and bottom toolbars.
5. Changed: Skins can now specify "inactive" toolbar images. (so images can change on toolbar mouse-over)
6. Changed: Search bar at top of program grows with long searches.
7. Fixed: Media Center was not filtering our old skins.
8. Fixed: TiVo Shuffle mode was not working.
9. Fixed: CD ripping would pop up an error message box at the end of each rip.
10. NEW: Added "Playing Now" to file properties area. (note: still experimental)
11. Changed: Search strings are saved / restored when navigating using "Back". (just like scrolling and selection)
12. Fixed: Scrollbars would not page properly when hitting the extreme top or extreme bottom of the scroll page area.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

DocLotus

• Retired and; Loving It!!!
Re: Media Center 9.1.195 beta
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2003, 02:11:02 pm »

Here we go again ;D
MC... Latest version, 1 Mini PC, w/ Server.
TV... USA, ZIP 77036, Std view, Full screen, Not detached, Silicon Dust Guide, OTA, ATSC 1.
MC Audio... Realtek HD 7.1, MP3 Ext, Basic playback.
MC Control... Key, Mouse w/ G HUB.
Windows... 10 Pro, 64 bit, All MS updates.
Hardware... Beelink AMD GR5 Pro Mini PC, 16GB memory, 3 internal HDD's w/ 4.5 TB storage, 8 TB external storage.
1 SiliconDust HD HomeRun Connect Quatro, 1 SiliconDust HDHomeRun Flex Quatro, Amped Antenna w/ splitter.

Kurt Young

• Tastes like crab, talks like people.
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2003, 02:26:39 pm »

<snip!>
10. NEW: Added "Playing Now" to file properties area. (note: still experimental)
<snip!>

I dunno how to really say this but.... WOOT!!!

It works perfectly as far as I can tell -- dragging and dropping works just like double clicking, right clicking, and drop-targeting.  One more hella big WOOT and two suggestions:

1.  I'm in the habit of right-clicking the Playing Now node and selecting "Clear playing now" -- is there a way to implement a "clear" command in the new "left pane" Playing Now?  Select all and del works fine, no worries, but it just crossed my mind to make it a "one-clicker" -- perhaps a "clear playing now" button that I can add to my lower toolbar?

2.  Actually the second suggestion was lame.  Nevermind.  :D
 mjextman.exe /ipodsync

Markus

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2003, 02:28:14 pm »

I like the new look a lot better and it takes less space on my screen when editing file properties. Especially the buttons look great and the positioning of the song title information is much better!
   And here's also my vote for knickelfarz' GUI improvement idea with the split up view! Great idea!

Still there's some minor wishes left I will just repost here from an older thread because I think they might not have been read since they were posted just before the next release's thread was opened:

-Alarm Clock
   In my opinion this is one of the last features MC is lacking in order to become a full replacement for my home stereo.
   It would be so great if there was a possibility to go to sleep with one playlist and be woken up the next morning by another one, at a different volume level if possible.

-Suppurt for cue-files
   There are many cases in which it is better to rip a whole record to just one file (and keep the track data in a .cue file ) instead of into one for each track. I'anxious to see MC support this

-flac- and shn-support
   Most music I rip myself is encoded with Lame, Ogg Vorbis or Monkeys Audio. Still lots of files in my library are of .shn- or .flac-format. It would be unbelievably much work to convert all of those files. I can't wait for MC to directly support those file types. I think read support would be enough.

-Linux port
   MC is the last reason left keeping me from finally changing completely to Linux. Linux can be a great, stable and cheap os fo a living room multi-purpose media server...

MC rocks!
-Markus

matthewmattical

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2003, 02:29:27 pm »

There seems to be an issue with the DirectX plugin adapter. From what I can tell, it's scanning for audio plugins and getting stumped when it finds the various vst software synthesizers located in my vstplugins directory. This happens any time I hit play and results in a Media Core crash shortly after receiving a few of the following errors:

"The Following VST plug-in failed to load: C:\Program Files\Vstplugins\various vst instruments.dll"

The crash also usually happens when I try to access the DSP studio. The few times I've successfully gotten that to open, I've made sure that the DirectX plugin adapter is disabled.

This has happened in version 194 and now 195. Other than not being able to play my music with it, 9.1 is looking amazing. :)

Synesthesiatic

• Recent member
  • If anybody needs me, I'll be in my room
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2003, 02:39:05 pm »

When using the new bottom-left pane for album art, it'd be nice if, when in playing now, it showed the art for the currently playing song. As it is, it shows the art for the song currently clicked.

~Adam~

dragyn

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2003, 03:11:22 pm »

>it'd be nice if, when in playing now, it showed the art for the currently playing song

That would be cool. Have the display window there. Then you can have 'image', visualizations, directx etc there.

'location' isn't showing all valid subdirectories when using 'root'. If you use a path, then they show to an extent. depends on the number of files I guess. (unassigned) sometimes doesn't show either.

DSP is doing something weird. If I start playing a track, the peak will be at 20-30% (replay gain off). If I turn on EQ, it jumps back up to normal. EQ can be flatlined or on/off. Just have to "bump" it and then it goes back up to higher levels. This also happens when changing tracks (sometimes). Most often when starting. This isn't because of the file. It can be at that range throughtout the whole song unless I change something in DSP while playing.

I've noticed also that the screen redraws about 3 times when playing a track. I thought this was an issue for beta version of 9.0. :dunno:

Media Center Registered 9.1.195 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)
AMD Athlon 805 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 196 MB, Free - 72 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1106 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / Shell32.dll: 6.00.2800.1145 (xpsp2.021108-1929) / wnaspi32.dll: N/A
Ripping /   Drive E:   Copy mode:ModeSecure   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Drive F:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
 Eject after ripping: No /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  Drive E: TEAC     CD-W54E            Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:4  MaxSpeed:4  Use MJ Engine:Yes
 Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: No
 Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None

MachineHead

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2003, 03:12:51 pm »

This one still snubs view schemes from .180. It shows the schemes under Audio, but clicking on them brings up a big blank.

NoCodeUK

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2003, 03:33:41 pm »

A few things...

1. Removing icons from bottom toolbar kinda redraws the status bar end to replace the missing icon rather than redrawing the whole status bar.  Its hard to explain.  I will try to post a pic...(After going away from MC and coming back it has redrawn properly so I cant show a pic now but try and ou will hopefully see what I mean ;D)
2. Once all icons have been removed from the bottom toolbar there is no way to access it again to add icons in.  I know I probably shouldn't have but I wanted to recreate the old toolbar along the top.
3. When adding icons in the toolbar customize window they are always added above the current icon.  This behaviour is a bit quirky as you always end up having to move the icon down.  Could it default to going below the current icon?
4. Not sure about the playing now in the properties window at the moment as you cannot really see all the columns correctly.  Possible idea - make playing now a pinnable window at the bottom of the screen so it is permenantly available in any view...
5. Suggestion from another thread but I thought I would mention it here.  Could the Properties window be returned or at least have the option to dock to the right hand side of the screen possibly making the cover art window appear as a separte entitiy in the current window.  Also if it could follow the art of the currently playing track that would be very neat.
6. There is still no way to see the view scheme setup in the Media Library view.  This was one thing I really liked in 9.0. It uswed to be present in the search box and then you could add to it.  What would be really good is if it still appeared in a search box but then the small box could be used to refine the search.  This can currently be done with smartlists and would be very cool behaviour for the whole library

I think thats all for now ;D
Hope this is useful,

Adam
"It's called No Code because it's full of code. It's misinformation." - Eddie Vedder

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2003, 03:41:54 pm »

Barely out of the gate, Adam has taken the lead by nearly a furlong.

Phil Lee

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2003, 03:44:45 pm »

A few things...

1. Removing icons from bottom toolbar kinda redraws the status bar end to replace the missing icon rather than redrawing the whole status bar.  Its hard to explain.  I will try to post a pic...(After going away from MC and coming back it has redrawn properly so I cant show a pic now but try and ou will hopefully see what I mean ;D)
2. Once all icons have been removed from the bottom toolbar there is no way to access it again to add icons in.  I know I probably shouldn't have but I wanted to recreate the old toolbar along the top.

I did exactly the same thing. I've now got the bottom toolbar recreated at the top next to the menus and have a blank bottom toolbar. Unfortunately I can't customise the bottom toolbar anymore.  I think you need two toolbar buttons under "Trees & Views Settings", one for the top toolbar and one for the bottom.

I just thought I'd add that I wanted the toolbar at the top because the Mode and List Style buttons with the drop down menus don't work at all well when they are at the bottom. I found that whenever I was clicking on the Mode button I selected Hairstyle unless I held the mouse button down when moving the mouse point upwards.

Edit:

I got the bottom toolbar back by going to the following registry key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JRiver\Media Jukebox\MCToolbar (bottom)

I then went to value 7 and changed it from:

(1:1)(1:2)(6:Rip CD)(5:23001)(1:0)(1:1)(1:0)(1:1)

to

(1:1)(1:2)(6:Rip CD)(5:23001)(1:0)(1:1)(1:1)(1:1)

I now have just the Handheld icon in the bottom toolbar to keep it active.

NoCodeUK

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2003, 03:47:27 pm »

Thats exactly why I did it too.  The menus at the bottom automatically select things when you release the button from clicking them...

Adam
"It's called No Code because it's full of code. It's misinformation." - Eddie Vedder

NoCodeUK

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2003, 04:07:23 pm »

A Few other things...

1. Any chance of having the ability to customise the playback display again.  I prefer to have the time display in reverse.  Theres more space to play with now.  It would be great if this display could be fully customisable.
2. Any chance of having some of the other calculated fileds requested in the thread when you initially asked about them.  I am specifically interested in Year - Album to sort chronologically in the tree but I know there were a number of others that people were interested in.  An idea I just had that would be pretty cool would be if something could be done in the same way as the date function with fields so you could have a calculated filed of say Artist - Album Artist - Album - Year which could then be referenced separately to create combined nodes in the tree so for me I would use TreeField (year - album) and this would give me for example 1996 Load.  Even better (although probably not possible for this timeframe) would be a way to select fields which would be part of the calculation but would not be displayed (if that makes sense) for example I could have a calculated field something like TreeField ([year] Album) which would show just the album but would still sort the albums by Year as this is part of the calculation.  This would be amazingly powerful but I guess pretty hard to code :)  And I know you said personal calculated fields would not be possible in this version.  Just a hope and thought for the future...
3. Any chance of drag and drop in the customise toolbar dialog?
4. The new mini search box appears in a playing now view but is does nothing in this mode...should it be disabled in some way?  Might be confusing to n00bs if they think it is gonna work...
5. There is no way to select the new list view in HS from the playing now view.  Its available when browsing the tree in other areas and if you change it here it changes it in playing now but no way from there to do it
6. There is no longer the option to double click in a blank area in HS to return to fullscreen.  This fits in with the rest of the interface and seemed logical eg dbl click on display to go full screen, dbl click to return to MEGA ME
7. Hairstyle (and the album grouping algorithm in general) is still inconsisitent in what is shown at an Artist level.  If an artist has more thn one album it shows Album thumbnails, if they have a single album or the odd track it shows track thumbnails.  I think an artist level should always show album thumbnails.

Adam

Diverdown1964

• World Citizen
  • No matter where you go, there you are
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2003, 04:14:33 pm »

1. When the playlists are displayed in the lower left box, and the track list frame has focus, the playlist window "flickers" periodically

2. There is no longer an option for "store cover art in tags" in the cover art window.

3. If cover art is removed (but not deleted), and the quick find cover art is selected, MC no longer finds the cover art automatically.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2003, 04:19:07 pm »

When adding or removing toolbar buttons from the bottom toolbar, there are all sorts of drawing errors if the toolbar buttons start intruding into the status bar. Once MC refreshes its display, these all go away.

This is really really awesome, guys.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2003, 04:26:41 pm »

Matt could you please have MC remember what is typed into find?
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Diverdown1964

• World Citizen
  • No matter where you go, there you are
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2003, 04:32:18 pm »

If a track has no date assigned to it, and Year is used in the view, it displays 1899 instead of nothing.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2003, 04:35:05 pm »

When changing from 80 mins to 74 and 21 mins in the burner MC9 tells me i still have the same amount of time left on the CD
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

xen-uno

• Checking your hard disk for errors...
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2003, 04:46:32 pm »

Minor bug:

Ampersands are displayed as _ in the bottom track selected box.

Now that I have a platform...

9.1 is nice. I like it in virtually all respects. One thing I don't find groovy is the search box pushed off to the right, for I use it the most. If in the playing now window, the Title were left justified, Time/Track right justified, and the whole window scrunched up a bit, then you could tuck the search box underneath it for faster access. Other than that...a very streamlined interface.

10-27

NoCodeUK

« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2003, 04:52:04 pm »

xen, This was what I was suggesting in a way.  If the search box appeared at the top of the library window like it always used to, displaying the terms already used to create the view scheme the small box could then be used to do a "search in a search".  Very useful to just add a word that you want to search for ratehr than using the search terms.

Adam

xen-uno

• Checking your hard disk for errors...
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2003, 04:59:24 pm »

Code...

I hear you...and I like the idea. Sounds like a good way of searching within smartlists & view schemes without destroying the criteria. (edit: and that's exactly what you said ;))

10-27

edit2: This is weird...I could of sworn my last two posts here were on a white background, which has changed to blue. Am I nuts? Am I seeing things?

NoCodeUK

« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2003, 05:12:07 pm »

The task bar icon does not have a right click menu.  It is therfore impossible to minimize/maximize or close from the task bar.  This has to follow conventional windows behaviour even if the interface ius no longer being drawn by windows...

Adam

kiwi

• Don't worry, be happy...
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2003, 05:18:36 pm »

Edit:  I renamed all of my files, using the library too "rename files from properties" and it caused some errors by creating paths that were too long.  I am connecting to the drive over a network, so that might be the issue.  I don't know whether it's an option, but it would be great to have control over the length of the file names that are created by MediaCenter.  I looked through the help, and wasn't able to find out much information about creating file names.

I don't know whether this feature is already in MC, but if it isn't, it would be great to set the name or directory like this:

[ARTIST]\[ALBUM=60] ~ [DATE=4] ~ [GENRE=10]

With the album being limited to 60 characters, the date to 4 and the genre to 10.  

-kiwi

NoCodeUK

« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2003, 05:36:35 pm »

I thought the directory/file name limit on NTFS was 127 characters?

Adam

kiwi

« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2003, 05:42:58 pm »

I thought the directory/file name limit on NTFS was 127 characters?

Adam

Thanks Adam...

I think that it may be.  Or, the whole path name has to be less than 256 chars.

Changed the previous post to make it more concise.

-kiwi

jam

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2003, 05:45:17 pm »

One small request about GUI.

I'm wondering if you can move "repeat", "shuffle", and "DSP" icons at the just the right side of volume bar instead of the right side of playback bar.  I use MC like this: select artist or playlist and push play button, sometimes push shuffle button too.  However,  it's just hard to move mouse cursor to the shuffle icon and click them, now.  Thanks.

BTW, 195 is really better than old one.  It's much faster.  Great job.  ;D

nila

« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2003, 07:29:16 pm »

I LOVE the auto stretching search bar - very styling !!!

Hmm,
not sure which post to use - this or the GUI discussion one but I finally decided to use this.

In terms of the GUI, the new addition of the 'playing now' window is a nice feature but the problem is that this window is extremely narrow which means only like one colum can appear so it just doesn't cut it in the same way that a split screen could.
The nice wide display area is whats needed.

There's also been some talk of moving the properties bar back to the right (I agree) and also about having the cover art display where the current properties bar is.

In terms of making it PERFECT I think the solution is this:

• Leave the current properties window where it is - but set to 'cover art' as default so that it will meet everyones desire to see cover art as they work
  • Add the old properties bar on the right so that we can get back the old ease of use and clarity and have it set to 'properties'
    both of these should be how they are now where we can change them to whatever we want. If people didn't want either they could simply hide it as it is possible to do now (could these bars be made a bit wider as they're almost impossible to click on 1600x1200 and once they are hidden its tooo easy to forget that they are.
  • Split the screen and lets start playing with it in the betas to find out what works best and how to do it.

The final GUI would look something like a combo of these two:
    http://www.knickelfarz.privat.t-online.de/mc_gui/gui_b_small.jpg
    http://www.jriver.com/photos/NoCodeUK/MC9%20GUI.jpg

This GUI would be UNBEATABLE and it could easily be miniminised to simplify the GUI if anyone wanted it by simply hiding any screen they didn't want (clicking on the frame edge to make it hide.) Possibly even include some pre-setup layouts (advanced - all windows showing,   simple - hide one browsing one and one properties one to make it resemble v9).

nila

« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2003, 07:35:32 pm »

Oh yeah,
and PLEASE I'm begging give us the additional organisational features we're requested - ESPECIALLY the ability to create custom groups - PLEASE.

I'm dying here waiting for this one.

kiwi

« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2003, 09:49:58 pm »

When I go to select the "View" Menu item, it causes Media Center to crash.  Is there any information I can give to help figure out why that is?

I have the error data from WinXPs error report generator, if you'd like it.  (The one that it tries to send back to MS every time something crashes.  I can't imagine that they look at any of them.  Just think about the number of WinXP machines out there... and the number times each machine has any program crash.)

-kiwi

Media Center 9.1.195 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\

Microsoft Windows XP 5.1 Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)
Intel Pentium 4 2364 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 522 MB, Free - 365 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1106 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / Shell32.dll: 6.00.2800.1106 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / wnaspi32.dll: N/A
Ripping /   Drive F:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767

Burning /  No burners found.
 Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: No

jeffh

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2003, 09:58:47 pm »

I saw a new problem with ripping. For the CD I filled out all the artist information for a multiple artist CD. I also has album artist set to "assorted". When I ripped the CD it stored "assorted" as the artist for every song and the true artist seems to have been lost. This was nto the 9.0 behavior.

warrensomebody

• Recent member
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2003, 10:03:44 pm »

I'm trying to use the video capture feature, but when I right-click on the tv frame and select "TV Recording: Start Recording..." it says "StartCapture: Cannot start graph." Any ideas?

Warren

UdoS

• World Citizen
  • User
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2003, 10:35:54 pm »

Bug- and wishlist:

Media Center Registered 9.1.195 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\

Microsoft Windows 2000  Workstation 5.0 Service Pack 3 (Build 2195)
AMD Athlon 1735 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 261 MB, Free - 23 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.81 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1106 / Shell32.dll: 5.00.3502.6144 / wnaspi32.dll: Internal ASPI Layer

Ripping /   Drive D:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: No /  Copy volume: 32767

Burning /  Drive D: ATAPI    CD-R/RW 48X16      Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:24  MaxSpeed:48  Use MJ Engine:Yes
 Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: No /  Write CD-Text: No

Bugs
1.      Visualization mode normal or less: character are not readable.
2.      Volume slider will not respond to cntr. - command if volume is above 84% (same as in 9.0.x)
3.      The Handheld plugin still not accepts volume name changes
4.      CD&#8217;s created with MJ can't be played on a computer (buffering..), not with MJ or any other player (windows or linux), it was playable on an ordinary player!
5.      The 'now playing' info randomly shows title(artist) or title(album) info

Wishes

1.      All units should be expressed in db, since mixing linear and nonlinear units like db and % is very difficult to compare and db is the (professional) standard (eg. Peak level always appears as %)
2.      Volume slider should move in increments by db instead of %
3.      If  continuous mode and reshuffle is selected, I would like to have a reshuffle command thrown in after the last song starts, to prevent MJ to play the same sequence over and over again.
4.      During xfer to a device I would like have a ability to apply the replay gain value permanent to that file, since most devices don't support it.

Udo

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2003, 11:21:15 pm »

I can't get my start menu and line to show (I use auto hide) when I have any of the two latest betas with a maximized window (not full screen mode). This is on an XP SP1 computer.
Tor with the Cinema Inferno & Multi-Zone Audio system

DocLotus

« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2003, 06:29:33 am »

Looking really NICE  ;D

Still Want...

* Put icons back on top where they belong for consistency with all other programs.

* Switch Playing Now window with Visualizations window.

...OR...

* Make all elements movable like they were in Siren Express Jukebox (was REALLY NICE).

Any idea when skins will be back... like Green Eyes?

Thanks & keep em coming.

Doc
TV... USA, ZIP 77036, Std view, Full screen, Not detached, Silicon Dust Guide, OTA, ATSC 1.
Hardware... Beelink AMD GR5 Pro Mini PC, 16GB memory, 3 internal HDD's w/ 4.5 TB storage, 8 TB external storage.
1 SiliconDust HD HomeRun Connect Quatro, 1 SiliconDust HDHomeRun Flex Quatro, Amped Antenna w/ splitter.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2003, 06:42:50 am »

You already can put the toolbar buttons back at the top. Just right click on the menu...

I was playing some songs. I was in Playing Now. I then typed a word into the search bar and hit enter. Either Search doesn't work in Playing Now, or that term wasn't found (or both?), but when I hit Enter, Playing Now was cleared of all entries, but the currently playing song was still playing. One of three things should have happened in my mind, but not this. 1. Nothing. 2. Playing Now still shows the currently playing song but no others. 3. Playing Now is wiped and playback stops. Am I mistaken in thinking this way?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2003, 07:08:01 am »

Any idea when skins will be back... like Green Eyes?

Green Eyes and Z are in progress now.  Should be updated in a few days.  We're going slowly since we may still change the skinning.

8thNote

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2003, 07:59:30 am »

It still takes several minutes to do anything CD-related.
&#8226; Inserting a CD and clicking it from the drive list takes several minutes to load.
&#8226; Playing a track on a CD takes several minutes to start.
&#8226; Ripping from a CD takes several minutes before it begins.

This problem existed since Media Center Beta! Can't it be fixed?

Toshiba Satellite 1955-s801
P4 2.2 GHz
512 MB RAM
Windows XP, latest update
All latest drivers
DVD/CD-R/RW drive

Rands

• Galactic Citizen
  • How am I supposed to enjoy this with you crying?
« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2003, 08:02:14 am »

Media Server Problems:  
Client 9.0.180, Server 9.1.195

The server is getting confused.  I'm seeing instances of it claiming to not find a file that is verified to be there (a piece of cover art that is stored with the music, not in the cover art directory).  I think this was fixed by doing a library update but it was odd because MC itself was showing the cover art but the media server wasn't seeing it.

Also, media server crashed when it couldn't find files that were actually in the client's library.  It was looking for two mp3s located in a directory that doesn't exist on the server machine;  in fact, that directory has never existed.

At this point, the client has been unable to stream any music at all;  it is either crashing or the server is crashing.

Is this an expected side effect of changes in 9.1?
Toast goes in the toaster.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2003, 08:10:51 am »

As always, if you have trouble, make sure you're using the same version on both sides.  In this case, the database has changed, so 9.1 is required on both sides.

DocLotus

« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2003, 09:01:46 am »

>>> You already can put the toolbar buttons back at the top. Just right click on the menu... <<<

And... then what?  All I get is the Customize Menu Bar dialog but I see nothing about how to move the icons.

DocLotus

« Reply #40 on: June 10, 2003, 09:04:42 am »

Forget that, I just figured it out.

I remove all the bottom icons & re-install the icons on the top... right?

Am I going to have to do this for each new version?

Will the icons stay put?

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #41 on: June 10, 2003, 09:07:00 am »

Correct. On the one hand, it makes it harder to just move the toolbar up to the top, but on the other hand, you now have the option having two different toolbars...

DocLotus

« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2003, 09:12:56 am »

LOVE IT ;D

Now... If we could just move all the other elements of MJ like I could with Siren Express jukebox.

Any chance of that happing ?

Tolga

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #43 on: June 10, 2003, 10:10:05 am »

Minor Problem: It is diffiicult to resize diagonally.

lee269

• sleep eat sleep eat sleep eat
« Reply #44 on: June 10, 2003, 10:34:19 am »

Quick thoughts - OK, Ive caved in and downloaded 9.0.195. Although I dislike skins, I thought Id better give it a try.

Bugs:

1. MC doesnt behave well with the Windows (XP) taskbar. Clicking on it doesnt minimise/maximise MC. Right clicking on it doesnt show the usual 'Minimise...Close' menu. Pressing Win+m minimises everything except MC.

2. Reordering songs within playing now by drag and drop doesnt show the horizontal line to let you know which songs you are dropping between. This hasnt happened in MC for me for many, many builds. I always thought it was my video card misbehaving, but now we are fully skinned surely its an MC problem?

3. I intermittently get the wrong tooltips showing as I hover over items, e.g. 'Volume 78%' over playing now, etc. Think this is probably due to delays with the skin rather than a problem in the program, but my PC (whilt not bleeding edge) is not exactly ancient.

Requests:

1. Thank you thank you thank you for a dual playing now/library view. This is a great step forward. BUT.. please can we have it in the main part of the screen where the visualisations go. theres just not enought room in the left pane. Im sure youre looking at Knickelfarz's mockups with interest.

2. Please lets have the toolbar buttons at the top by default. Its currently too difficult to figure out how to change this. Everyone expects toolbars to be on top, for right or wrong.

lee269

• sleep eat sleep eat sleep eat
« Reply #45 on: June 10, 2003, 10:36:43 am »

What I didnt say was that Ive had no crashing problems so far - basically it seems to be working well!

jam

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #46 on: June 10, 2003, 12:06:05 pm »

Noticed one strange behavior.

I left MC9 on while I was working and sleeping over a day.  Then, I plaied several APL files.  It plaied 10 sec or more, then paused playing and showed "buffering" message for a sec or two, then plaied the rest.  I kept this MC9 play music.  It suspended rarely like once in several minutes.  Once I exited MC9 and run it again from start menu, MC9 play music well without any problems.

Deivit

• I find your interest interesting...
« Reply #47 on: June 10, 2003, 12:22:34 pm »

When using the new bottom-left pane for album art, it'd be nice if, when in playing now, it showed the art for the currently playing song. As it is, it shows the art for the song currently clicked.

~Adam~

I haven't installed the new beta, but please tell me that this is a bug and not a feature... I mean, the cover art does not change when a new song starts playing such as in track-info visualization?  ? I hope there's not always the same image stuck there...

It's probably the same problem I reported some days ago when the highlighted track does not refresh in playing now, something that Nila said he would'nt like but... don't you think it's worse that the covert art you have visible not being the one of the track that is currently playing?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #48 on: June 10, 2003, 12:25:59 pm »

How about reserving "hate" for things that really deserve it.  "Don't like" is pretty strong.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #49 on: June 10, 2003, 12:36:55 pm »

The coverart in the lowerleft corner that everybody is talking about is the File Properties box that used to be on the right hand side. Of course it's going to show the cover art for the file that's selected and not the file that's playing. I'd be pissed if I were doing something with coverart on a file and then it changed on me when the file changed.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up