INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Audio in JR21 vs JR24  (Read 923 times)

michiganmike711

• Recent member
  • Now retired, I hate Mondays less:)
Audio in JR21 vs JR24
« on: May 24, 2018, 04:35:27 pm »

I'll bet someone has asked a similar audio question but I just don't know how to find it.  I have been using JR21 exclusively for audio in my triamped, dipole stereo system.  Whereas as I understand the new edition of JR might offer me more options, I would like to know if there has been any improvement in audio reproduction or function as compared to JR21? I still do not use the stereo system for anything other than music recording  and playback from CDs, or from other online sources with audiophile grade downloads.

Incidentally, JR is installed in a minitower HP which I had upgraded to become my music server.  From the HP, an OPPO HA1 feeds a miniDSP crossover network to drive 3 stereo amps, plus a sub on occasion. I no longer have the patience to play records and rarely listen to my very good FM tuner. 

Many thanks, mike   :)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Audio in JR21 vs JR24
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2018, 05:23:17 pm »

You might find Radio Paradise interesting.  It's a FLAC streaming service.

~OHM~

• "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2018, 08:29:59 am »

Why not take advantage of the free trial and take it for a spin yourself....only your ears can tell!
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2018, 09:24:52 am »

The JRiver Release Notes have a complete list of all changes made to JRiver. You can browse the notes and search on "new:".

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes

I find that there is a feature or change almost every week that I like. Some may seem insignificant, but they add to the enjoyment of JRiver. Others are more major. The new tag action window was added in MC21, but was expanded and refined in MC22.

Here are a few changes:
NEW: The SoX resampler can be enabled in Options > Audio to handle all your resampling needs.
NEW: "Panel" which is a new web interface. Take a look at http://localhost:52199 (or whatever port you have configured in 'Media Networking').
NEW: Added "Options > Audio > Load files to memory at the start of playback" to totally load a file into memory when playback starts (works with APE, FLAC, MP3 -- others to follow).
NEW: The DLNA server Audio Advanced DSP studio is active for all functions including sample rate changes.
Changed: Scrolling the new tag window will stop any open edits (instead of scrolling the edit off the screen!).
Changed: Updates for pretty much all the skins (thanks Awesome Donkey!).
Changed: Added a couple extra checks to Monkey's Audio to detect (and hopefully handle) corrupt files.
NEW: Added the memory playback mode "Load full album (not decoded) into memory." Loads the entire playlist (up to 15 tracks) into memory.
NEW: The new tag window has the ability to show all fields with values (just add the type "Fields With Values" in the edit dialog).
NEW: Added "Stop After Playing Track" to the right-click menu in Playing Now.
NEW: Sidecar file support for audio, data, image, as well as video files.

TreeNebula

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2018, 02:52:05 pm »

I think a second dithering method was added in one of those versions.

michiganmike711

• Recent member
  • Now retired, I hate Mondays less:)
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2018, 08:08:50 pm »

Thanks to all for your thoughtful and encouraging comments.  I think I'll give 24 a try.
Pages: [1]   Go Up