INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver & Plex CoExisting?  (Read 4186 times)

klay

• Junior Woodchuck
JRiver & Plex CoExisting?
« on: May 27, 2018, 11:40:28 am »

I'm happy with JRiver on my PC; graphics card feeds my monitor and HDTV. I'd like to add PLEX to my HDTV and I'm wondering if I point PLEX to the same Movies and TV Shows folders if it will give JRiver files heartburn or vice-versa. Can they coexist?
Yours truly,
Mr. Klay Anderson, D.A.,Q.B.E.

Trumpetguy

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: JRiver & Plex CoExisting?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2018, 11:47:54 am »

Done that for years, no problem.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2018, 01:17:18 pm »

No known problems.

TheShoe

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2018, 06:27:57 pm »

same here.  for years and no issues

wish jriver had an apple tv client and an nvidia shield client because then i would ditch plex!

daveman

• Galactic Citizen
  • I am still a baby user of JRiver :)
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2018, 08:27:23 pm »

wish jriver had an apple tv client and an nvidia shield client because then i would ditch plex!

I AGREE!!!!!

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2018, 01:35:30 am »

ditto. The only reason I run Plex is due to it having native apps on all platforms that I use (iOS/tvOS/Roku/PC/XBoxOne) and the ability to have offline content on our iOS devices.

prevaljo

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2018, 04:57:44 pm »

I've been a JRiver user since version 19 (2013), since the introduction of Chromecasts I have been seeking a solution that will allow JRiver to talk to Chromecast reliably.  I have spent much time restarting desktops, routers, Chromecasts and BubbleUpNp servers to no avail.  Yes they work sometimes.  I wanted to be able to sit down and play music on my music system and watch home videos on a large screen TV without having to fumble around.  I have now installed Plex Media Server, it coexists with JRiver and it just works.  No restarts no fear of fail, just relax.  It may not be as sophisticated as JRiver but how many of those features do many people actually use.  My two pence.

TheShoe

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2018, 07:12:21 am »

I've been a JRiver user since version 19 (2013), since the introduction of Chromecasts I have been seeking a solution that will allow JRiver to talk to Chromecast reliably.  I have spent much time restarting desktops, routers, Chromecasts and BubbleUpNp servers to no avail.  Yes they work sometimes.  I wanted to be able to sit down and play music on my music system and watch home videos on a large screen TV without having to fumble around.  I have now installed Plex Media Server, it coexists with JRiver and it just works.  No restarts no fear of fail, just relax.  It may not be as sophisticated as JRiver but how many of those features do many people actually use.  My two pence.

depends on your needs.   i use plex for the afore-mentiond device support, but for the best audio and video experience in my home theater, it is jriver and jremote. 

plex is ok.   it crashes often on the nvidia shield for me, does not consistently respect mkv flags such as default audio tracks, crashes on the server weekly due to transcoding bugs, does not support folder backups, dsd/dsf audio files.

on ios it wont render 3D mvc as 2D, which means i would need to keep a 2D and a 3D backup of my movies.   i use infuse on ios now for video - superior custom video renderer and full integration with plex server, and handles the 3D issue perfectly. 

i am trying to move away from plex, but for android, it does seem to be the best solution.  perhaps emby is better....

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2018, 07:52:27 am »

How about Panel on Android?

Trumpetguy

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2018, 06:22:38 am »

That will be the day you include Panel switching of audio tracks and subtitles.

TheShoe

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2018, 08:22:00 am »

via browser?   i have not tried to install chrome on an nvidia shield and there is no browser for apple tv.   Panel being browser based does not address the set top boxes or TVs the way a native app does.   

it does seem to be steadily improving which is great - using it more and more on my tablet and phone.

Pages: [1]   Go Up