INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need Cable Replacement Suggestions  (Read 741 times)

jrdiandrea

• Galactic Citizen
Need Cable Replacement Suggestions
« on: July 08, 2018, 10:00:50 am »

I know there are plenty of options. But I have several challenges, the biggest being my wife who refuses to use JRiver. She likes the simplicity of using the cable box. I need to work on changing this. One way would be to show her the money we might save by dropping cable due to the high cost.

We currently have the biggest package of channels including the pay networks like HBO. What I’d like to achieve is access to most of the channels we have now. I suspect there’s no perfect solution.

I have 5 JRiver clients on my home network. She likes viewing live tv. I download all of what I watch from various sources including Netflix, Hulu, Amazon and others. I never live stream.

I’m hoping to get input from some of you as to what some of the best solutions may be.

Thx in advance.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Need Cable Replacement Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2018, 10:27:29 am »

I know there are plenty of options. But I have several challenges, the biggest being my wife who refuses to use JRiver.
Would it help if we sent her flowers?

jrdiandrea

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2018, 10:42:50 am »

That’s a very gracious offer, Jim. And if I thought there was a remote chance I’d pay you to do it!

She doesn’t care for technology and is quite stubborn about embracing it. Though like most, she appreciates it on the rare occasion when she has.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2018, 11:14:55 am »

Do you have any family videos? Maybe videos of your wedding, or your kids, or birthday parties. Or maybe a library of films/TV shows she likes watching. Christmas shows, WWE wrestling, anything. Build a library of videos that appeals to her and is only easily available through JRiver. Then she can learn the system and eventually branch out.

jrdiandrea

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2018, 11:21:10 am »

Great suggestion. And we have TONS of family video....hers, mine, ours. We’ve watched many thru JRiver. But she has no interest unless we all are watching.

I guess my true objective here is to cut the cost of cable yet have access to most of these same channels via another source.

Of course I'd still want to use JRiver to access everything.

I’ll work on getting her to try JRiver once I figure out cable replacement options.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2018, 12:59:33 am »

You might try letting your wife use one of the remotes for playback.  JRemote, Gizmo, Panel, etc.  The interfaces are a lot simpler.  Even Theater View might be easier for her to adapt to.
Pages: [1]   Go Up