INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: SONOS - And MC - Yes, It works  (Read 4091 times)

jack wallstreet

• Citizen of the Universe
SONOS - And MC - Yes, It works
« on: July 22, 2018, 03:21:52 pm »

This is just to make it easy to search for those who might be interested.

Sonos speakers work fine with MC24.  Show up as "sonos media renderer". 

I had earlier set up JRemote and after that the renderer appears and just kind of works.  Can be initially confusing if you set up a stereo set.  I found that you delete the renderer for the second one and let the SONOS app handle it.   I found JRemote is much better than the SONOS app for control of playing.

I have not tried a multiple room set up, but I assume that in that case, you just don't delete the new renderer that will show up.  I'll let other people comment.

This is just here so people inquiring can find a reference
John

~OHM~

• "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
Re: SONOS - And MC - Yes, It works
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2018, 04:40:32 pm »

Thanks John
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2018, 05:20:26 pm »

Yes the Sonos do advertise themselves as DLNA renderers. They are a bit quirky on the audio formats they support in this mode. For example they don’t support the (mandatory) L16 format. But if you have a format that works with them, you are fine..
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

lpollis

• Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2018, 05:09:09 pm »

I do not see anything for Sonos under "Playing Now". Can you point me in the right direction of give me a screen shot?
Is there any setup procedure that I need to do?
Lp

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2018, 12:17:31 am »

Open Playing Now.

How old is the Sonos device?

AddyV

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2018, 06:00:37 am »

I was also doing some tests with MC24 and my Sonos:
you can link several speakers in different rooms with "link zone" and they play your music but not synchronised (but I think this is a Sonos/wifi problem).
also playing music via the Sonos-connect with my AV-receiver works fine.
however a pair configured as stereo set in Sonos is not working. first they are shown seperately in playing now. when I add music to right speaker I receive a popup "there was a problem controlling the selected DNLA device. Double check your device, server and network settings" and it does not start playing. when I add music to the left speaker it starts playing the music but only on that speaker, no stereo.
I linked (link zone) both speakers in MC with the result that the popup with the same message appears and the left speaker starts to play. the moment you remove the popup the playing stops.
is there a way to solve this? configurarion in MC? I saw the post of Jack Wallstreet but I don't understand if that might be a solution.

lpollis

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2018, 07:53:57 am »

I have had my Sonos Connect and a Play 1 for a few years. Last December I bought a new Play 1 and a Sonos One. New software in the Sonos One and IOS now give my the ability to play music with AirPlay 2 to the Sonos One and if I group the Play 1s (a stereo pair) and the Connect, I can play synchronized music through all of them. But I do not see any indication in MC24 for playing via the Sonos speakers. MC has gotten so complex and capable it would be nice if there was a really good User Guide. And yes, I know about the WiKi site. But I did say "a really good User Guide"! The WiKi does not even have the word Sonos.
Over the years when I've used MC, I have enjoyed certain aspects of it but due to the lack of good documentation and a useful "real" help system, it has always taken a back seat to other means of playing music.
Lp

Gl3nn

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2018, 08:26:07 am »

A detailed step-by-step on how to use Sonos w/ MC24 would be useful to me too.

Norman Neil

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2018, 05:55:26 pm »

I bought my Sonos 5 two months ago.

I followed the instructions but my Sonos player does not appear under Playing Now?

~OHM~

• "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2018, 06:45:08 pm »

I bought my Sonos 5 two months ago.

I followed the instructions but my Sonos player does not appear under Playing Now?
Is that on Windows XP
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

Norman Neil

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2018, 07:37:49 am »

No, Windows 10

lpollis

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2018, 09:27:31 am »

So, I presume by the lack of any real “solution” or any step by step directions, that there isn’t any real support for Sonos. It might show up in one person’s Playing Now tab but there isn’t any way to explain how I might be able to set up my MC to be able to do the same thing.

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2018, 09:47:58 am »

We can't guarantee that you will always find a solution.  It works with Sonos.

It may require a firmware update.   It's possible older models don't work.

You firewall could block it.  Your network may not be set up to allow it.

Did you try Sonos' support?

This topic explains how DLNA works:
https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/DLNA

Sapagrino

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2018, 07:36:03 pm »

I'm still trying to optimize how MC and Sonos interact.  One thing I believe I'm finding is that if I want to use MC (e.g., desktop or JRemote) or Roon as the interface/remote and play it to more than one Sonos device, it's best to send it to just one Sonos device with MC/Roon, and then switch over to Sonos to group what MC plays to with another Sonos device.  That seems to use Sonos' rock solid sync timing to render across devices otherwise served and controlled by JRiver or Roon.  Not certain I've analyzed things correctly.  Anyone experience something similar?

Still having trouble when I want to send to a Sonos pair.  It currently works I believe when I send to a non-pair Sonos from MC, and then use Sonos like above to add a paired zone to the same grouping as the non-paired zone.
Pages: [1]   Go Up